linuxppc-dev.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* MPC8315ERDB PCI Express support status?
@ 2008-10-06 13:42 Leon Woestenberg
From: Leon Woestenberg @ 2008-10-06 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev, Jerry Huang, Tony Li, Stuart Hughes

Hello all,

can Freescale or any of the powerpc maintainers indicate to what
extend PCI Express support for the MPC8315E processor has been merged
to Linux mainline, or what is still needs review or attention?

I could find u-boot and Linux patches provided by Freescale in their
open-source patch pool:

http://www.bitshrine.org/gpp/
http://www.bitshrine.org/gpp/linux-fsl-2.6.24.3-MPC8315ERDB-pcie-INTx-support.patch

but I could not easily identify what has been merged upstream.

My first goal (and hardware on my desk) would be to test an Intel PCIe
PRO/1000 Ethernet adapter, as a start to add a custom PCIe FPGA
device.

Leon

* Re: MPC8315ERDB PCI Express support status?
@ 2008-10-06 15:09 ` Kumar Gala
From: Kumar Gala @ 2008-10-06 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Woestenberg; +Cc: linuxppc-dev, Tony Li, Stuart Hughes, Jerry Huang

On Oct 6, 2008, at 8:42 AM, Leon Woestenberg wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> can Freescale or any of the powerpc maintainers indicate to what
> extend PCI Express support for the MPC8315E processor has been merged
> to Linux mainline, or what is still needs review or attention?
>
> I could find u-boot and Linux patches provided by Freescale in their
> open-source patch pool:
>
> http://www.bitshrine.org/gpp/
> http://www.bitshrine.org/gpp/linux-fsl-2.6.24.3-MPC8315ERDB-pcie-INTx-support.patch
>
> but I could not easily identify what has been merged upstream.
>

> My first goal (and hardware on my desk) would be to test an Intel PCIe
> PRO/1000 Ethernet adapter, as a start to add a custom PCIe FPGA
> device.

No PCI-e support for 83xx has been merged in any mainline kernel.

- k

* Re: MPC8315ERDB PCI Express support status?
@ 2008-10-08 13:53   ` Leon Woestenberg
From: Leon Woestenberg @ 2008-10-08 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kumar Gala, John Rigby; +Cc: linuxppc-dev, Stuart Hughes

Kumar, John,

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Kumar Gala <galak@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> On Oct 6, 2008, at 8:42 AM, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
>> can Freescale or any of the powerpc maintainers indicate to what
>> extend PCI Express support for the MPC8315E processor has been merged
>> to Linux mainline, or what is still needs review or attention?
>>
>> I could find u-boot and Linux patches provided by Freescale in their
>> [...]
>> but I could not easily identify what has been merged upstream.
>>
>> My first goal (and hardware on my desk) would be to test an Intel PCIe
>> PRO/1000 Ethernet adapter, as a start to add a custom PCIe FPGA
>> device.
>
> No PCI-e support for 83xx has been merged in any mainline kernel.

I got MPC8315E working with PCI Express, using an Intel PRO/1000 GbE
PCIe x1 card, using 2.6.24.3-rt3 with a lot of Freescale patches, as
well as u-boot 1.2.0 forward patched to 1.3.0 by Freescale with some
PCIe initialization work. So, basically the BSP 20080627.

I would like these patches to be ported forward to mainline, and I can
put some time in this, but I'ld rather first know what the Freescale
status on the patches is?

John, Stuart, could you please check if there is ongoing work in
Freescale? I hate double efforts when I'm short on time :-) Thanks.

@ 2008-10-08 14:08     ` Kumar Gala
From: Kumar Gala @ 2008-10-08 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Woestenberg; +Cc: linuxppc-dev, Stuart Hughes, John Rigby

On Oct 8, 2008, at 8:53 AM, Leon Woestenberg wrote:

> I would like these patches to be ported forward to mainline, and I can
> put some time in this, but I'ld rather first know what the Freescale
> status on the patches is?
>
> John, Stuart, could you please check if there is ongoing work in
> Freescale? I hate double efforts when I'm short on time :-) Thanks.

Leon (I also work @ FSL) and we don't have any work going on right now
to cleanup the PCIe patches.

The reason they aren't in the kernel is the mechanism used to do PCIe
config cycles is not acceptable for kernel.org.  The issue is that the
code ioremaps a huge address space (128M if I remember).  The code
should look at doing a sliding window and only use 4k of address space.

- k