linuxppc-dev.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Fwd: Gianfar driver crashes in Kernel v3.10
       [not found] <90BE8C5D-E23B-41B5-BB52-8A0C0758931D@net.t-labs.tu-berlin.de>
@ 2013-10-11  8:59 ` Thomas Hühn
From: Thomas Hühn @ 2013-10-11  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev

Hi Claudiu,

> Does this show up on a half duplex (100Mb/s) link?

In my testsetup I always used 1GBit Ethernet connections, so no 100MBit =
tested yet.
Should I do so ?

> Could you provide following for the gianfar interface, on your setup:

sure:=20
> # ethtool ethX
root@Bluse-home:~# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
       Supported ports: [ ]
       Supported link modes:   1000baseT/Full=20
       Supported pause frame use: No
       Supports auto-negotiation: No
       Advertised link modes:  1000baseT/Full=20
       Advertised pause frame use: No
       Advertised auto-negotiation: No
       Speed: 1000Mb/s
       Duplex: Full
       Port: MII
       PHYAD: 0
       Transceiver: external
       Auto-negotiation: on
       Current message level: 0x0000003f (63)
                              drv probe link timer ifdown ifup
       Link detected: yes

> and
> # ethtool -d ethX | grep 500
>=20
root@Bluse-home:~# ethtool -d eth0 | grep 500
0x0500:         00 00 00 3f 00 00 72 05 40 60 50 60 00 a1 f0 37=20

> Is there any other indication before this Oops? Like a tx timeout =
WARN?
>=20

Nothing there about any timeout.

Greetings Thomas

> Thanks,
> Claudiu
>=20
>=20

* Re: Fwd: Gianfar driver crashes in Kernel v3.10
@ 2013-10-16  7:10   ` Claudiu Manoil
From: Claudiu Manoil @ 2013-10-16  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Hühn; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

On 10/11/2013 11:59 AM, Thomas H=FChn wrote:
> Hi Claudiu,
>
>> Does this show up on a half duplex (100Mb/s) link?
>
> In my testsetup I always used 1GBit Ethernet connections, so no 100MBit=
 tested yet.
> Should I do so ?
>
>> Could you provide following for the gianfar interface, on your setup:
>
> sure:
>> # ethtool ethX
> root@Bluse-home:~# ethtool eth0
> Settings for eth0:
>         Supported ports: [ ]
>         Supported link modes:   1000baseT/Full
>         Supported pause frame use: No
>         Supports auto-negotiation: No
>         Advertised link modes:  1000baseT/Full
>         Advertised pause frame use: No
>         Advertised auto-negotiation: No
>         Speed: 1000Mb/s
>         Duplex: Full
>         Port: MII
>         PHYAD: 0
>         Transceiver: external
>         Auto-negotiation: on
>         Current message level: 0x0000003f (63)
>                                drv probe link timer ifdown ifup
>         Link detected: yes
>
>> and
>> # ethtool -d ethX | grep 500
>>
> root@Bluse-home:~# ethtool -d eth0 | grep 500
> 0x0500:         00 00 00 3f 00 00 72 05 40 60 50 60 00 a1 f0 37
>

>> Is there any other indication before this Oops? Like a tx timeout WARN=
?

> Nothing there about any timeout.

Please try the following patch:
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/283235/

It should help with your issue.

claudiu

* Re: Gianfar driver crashes in Kernel v3.10
@ 2013-10-16 12:44     ` Thomas Hühn
From: Thomas Hühn @ 2013-10-16 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Claudiu Manoil; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

Hi,

Together with other OpenWRT users we currently use this workaround patch =
(https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/38409/trunk) that downgrades the =
gianfar driver to kernel version 3.9, as 3.10 is just crashing.=20
With this workaround, several users with TPLink 4900 routers reported =
that their system is runing stable and without issues.

>=20
> Please try the following patch:
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/283235/
>=20
> It should help with your issue.
>=20

Thank for you patch.=20
I have adapted your patch to by applicable in current OpenWRT trunk.
I posted it in our current forum thread, where several users beside me =
will test it in the next days.
(https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=3D214931#p214931)
You can expect a report after the weekend.

Greetings Thomas

@ 2013-10-31 11:51     ` Thomas Hühn
From: Thomas Hühn @ 2013-10-31 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: claudiu.manoil; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

Hi Claudiu,

> Please try the following patch:
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/283235/
>
> It should help with your issue.

Several OpenWrt users including myself have tested your patch on TPLink-4900 routers.
We do have positive feedback, as no crash nor system freeze was reported for different
network loads and router setups.
All different scenarios / details and two digit uptimes are in this forum thread:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=42062&p=13

Thanks again for your work and  I hope to see this patch merged upstream.

Greetings Thomas

* Re: Gianfar driver crashes in Kernel v3.10
@ 2013-11-01 11:51       ` Claudiu Manoil
From: Claudiu Manoil @ 2013-11-01 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Hühn; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

Hi Thomas,

On 10/31/2013 1:51 PM, Thomas H=FChn wrote:
> Hi Claudiu,
>

>> Please try the following patch:
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/283235/
>>
>> It should help with your issue.
>>

> Several OpenWrt users including myself have tested your patch on
> TPLink-4900 routers.
> We do have positive feedback, as no crash nor system freeze was reporte=
> for different
> network loads and router setups.
> All different scenarios / details and two digit uptimes are in this
> forum thread:
> https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=3D42062&p=3D13
>
> Thanks again for your work and  I hope to see this patch merged upstrea=
m.

> Greetings Thomas

Thanks for the testing and feedback.

The patch has been merged into davem/net-next.git:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=
=3D3ba405db1c1b05d157474c71e559393f7ea436ad

And I think it will be merged from there into the next
kernel release. I think that in time it will be back-ported
to stable kernel versions too. In some cases, requests are made
to the netdev mailing list to speedup inclusion of fixes (such
as this one) to certain stable kernel versions.

Thanks,
Claudiu