linuxppc-dev.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Re: jump_label: move 'asm goto' support test to Kconfig
@ 2019-01-02 12:14 Sedat Dilek
From: Sedat Dilek @ 2019-01-02 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: masahiroy
  Cc: linux-arch, linux-xtensa, x86, Ard Biesheuvel, Peter Zijlstra,
	linux-s390, linux-kbuild, Will Deacon, linux-kernel,
	Linus Torvalds, Max Filippov, Ingo Molnar, Josh Poimboeuf,
	sparclinux, Thomas Gleixner, linuxppc-dev, David S . Miller,
	linux-arm-kernel, Masahiro Yamada

Hi,

I was not aware that CONFIG_JUMP_LABEL Kconfig setting depends on the
support of asm-goto.

Currently, I am doing experiments with clang-7 and a snapshot of
clang-8 on Linux/x86.
These compilers have no asm-goto support.

What is your recommendation for Linux >= v4.20?
I am asking as it is possible to set CONFIG_JUMP_LABEL=y when
compiling with clang - which has no effect.
This is confusing.

Thanks, this patch makes things clearer and protects users from
setting "wrong" in the sense of non-functional settings.

I have tested this against recent Linus tree where kbuild/kconfig Git
pulls were latest commits.

Tested-by: Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> [ x86 with LLVM/Clang
v7 and v8 (snapshot) ]

Thanks.