linuxppc-dev.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Issues with the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1
@ 2022-10-12  6:51 Christian Zigotzky
From: Christian Zigotzky @ 2022-10-12  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev
  Cc: Olof Johansson, Darren Stevens, mad skateman, Trevor Dickinson,
	Christian Zigotzky

Hi All,

I use the Nemo board with a PASemi PA6T CPU and have some issues since the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1.

I successfully compiled the git kernel with the first PowerPC updates two days ago.

Unfortunately this kernel is really dangerous. Many things for example Network Manager and LightDM don't work anymore and produced several gigabyte of config files till the partition has been filled.

I deleted some files like the resolv.conf that had a size over 200 GB!

Unfortunately, MintPPC was still damaged. For example LightDM doesn't work anymore and the MATE desktop doesn't display any icons anymore because Caja wasn't able to reserve memory anymore.

In this case, bisecting isn't an option and I have to wait some weeks. It is really difficult to find the issue if the userland will damaged again and again.

Cheers,
Christian

* Re: Issues with the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1
@ 2022-10-12  7:56 ` Andrew Donnellan
From: Andrew Donnellan @ 2022-10-12  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Zigotzky, linuxppc-dev
  Cc: Darren Stevens, mad skateman, npiggin, rmclure, Trevor Dickinson,
	Olof Johansson, Christian Zigotzky

On Wed, 2022-10-12 at 08:51 +0200, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I use the Nemo board with a PASemi PA6T CPU and have some issues
> since the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1.
>
> I successfully compiled the git kernel with the first PowerPC updates
> two days ago.
>
> Unfortunately this kernel is really dangerous. Many things for
> example Network Manager and LightDM don't work anymore and produced
> several gigabyte of config files till the partition has been filled.
>
> I deleted some files like the resolv.conf that had a size over 200
> GB!
>
> Unfortunately, MintPPC was still damaged. For example LightDM doesn't
> work anymore and the MATE desktop doesn't display any icons anymore
> because Caja wasn't able to reserve memory anymore.
>
> In this case, bisecting isn't an option and I have to wait some
> weeks. It is really difficult to find the issue if the userland will
> damaged again and again.

Could you try with
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linuxppc-dev/patch/20221012035335.866440-1-npiggin@gmail.com/
to see if your issues are related to that?

Andrew

--
Andrew Donnellan    OzLabs, ADL Canberra
ajd@linux.ibm.com   IBM Australia Limited

* Re: Issues with the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1
@ 2022-10-13  7:03   ` Christian Zigotzky
From: Christian Zigotzky @ 2022-10-13  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Donnellan
  Cc: Darren Stevens, mad skateman, npiggin, rmclure, Trevor Dickinson,
	Olof Johansson, linuxppc-dev, Christian Zigotzky

Hi Andrew,

Does this patch also affect 64-bit kernels?

We use often 32-bit userlands with 64-bit kernels.

Cheers,
Christian

@ 2022-10-13  7:28     ` Christophe Leroy
From: Christophe Leroy @ 2022-10-13  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Zigotzky, Andrew Donnellan
  Cc: Darren Stevens, mad skateman, npiggin, rmclure, Trevor Dickinson,

Le 13/10/2022 à 09:03, Christian Zigotzky a écrit :
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Does this patch also affect 64-bit kernels?
>
> We use often 32-bit userlands with 64-bit kernels.

As far as I understand, it was already correct for 32-bit userlands with
64 bit kernels, aka compat.

The patch applies the same approach for 32 bit kernels, as explained in
the commit message : "Fix this by having 32-bit kernels share those
syscall definitions with compat."

Christophe

> Cheers,
> Christian
>
>> On 12. Oct 2022, at 09:56, Andrew Donnellan <ajd@linux.ibm.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 2022-10-12 at 08:51 +0200, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I use the Nemo board with a PASemi PA6T CPU and have some issues
>>> since the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1.
>>>
>>> I successfully compiled the git kernel with the first PowerPC updates
>>> two days ago.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately this kernel is really dangerous. Many things for
>>> example Network Manager and LightDM don't work anymore and produced
>>> several gigabyte of config files till the partition has been filled.
>>>
>>> I deleted some files like the resolv.conf that had a size over 200
>>> GB!
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, MintPPC was still damaged. For example LightDM doesn't
>>> work anymore and the MATE desktop doesn't display any icons anymore
>>> because Caja wasn't able to reserve memory anymore.
>>>
>>> In this case, bisecting isn't an option and I have to wait some
>>> weeks. It is really difficult to find the issue if the userland will
>>> damaged again and again.
>>
>> Could you try with
>> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linuxppc-dev/patch/20221012035335.866440-1-npiggin@gmail.com/
>> to see if your issues are related to that?
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> --
>> Andrew Donnellan    OzLabs, ADL Canberra
>> ajd@linux.ibm.com   IBM Australia Limited

* Re: Issues with the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1
@ 2022-10-13  9:42       ` Christian Zigotzky
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Christian Zigotzky @ 2022-10-13  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Leroy
  Cc: Darren Stevens, Andrew Donnellan, mad skateman, npiggin, rmclure,
	Trevor Dickinson, Olof Johansson, linuxppc-dev,
	Christian Zigotzky

Hi Christophe,

Thanks a lot for your answer. OK, now, I know, that I don’t need to test it. After the boot of the latest git kernel, my system was extremely damaged. Some config files has a size of several gigabytes for example the resolv.conf. I tried to repair this Debian system but without any success.
I copied with dd and Netcat via network another rootfs from another computer to the damaged partition.
I don’t have the time to do it always again and again after a bad bisect result.
I will wait some weeks and try it again.

Cheers,
Christian

@ 2022-10-13  9:46         ` Christian Zigotzky
From: Christian Zigotzky @ 2022-10-13  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Leroy
  Cc: Darren Stevens, Andrew Donnellan, mad skateman, npiggin, rmclure,
	Trevor Dickinson, Olof Johansson, linuxppc-dev,
	Christian Zigotzky

Edit: fixed typos.

@ 2022-10-14 16:11         ` Christian Zigotzky
From: Christian Zigotzky @ 2022-10-14 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Leroy
  Cc: Darren Stevens, Andrew Donnellan, mad skateman, npiggin, rmclure,
	Trevor Dickinson, Olof Johansson, linuxppc-dev,
	Christian Zigotzky

Hi All,

make oldconfig has asked because of the CPU family. I choosed GENERIC for my P.A. Semi PWRficient PA6T-1682M. Is this correct? Maybe this is the problem.

config GENERIC_CPU
-	bool "Generic (POWER4 and above)"
+	bool "Generic (POWER5 and PowerPC 970 and above)"
 	depends on PPC_BOOK3S_64 && !CPU_LITTLE_ENDIAN
 	select PPC_64S_HASH_MMU

There isn’t a POWER4 anymore and I used it via CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU=y before.

Before the first PowerPC updates:
CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU=y
# CONFIG_POWER5_CPU is not set

Link: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/arch/powerpc/platforms/Kconfig.cputype

— Christian

@ 2022-10-14 18:47           ` Olof Johansson
From: Olof Johansson @ 2022-10-14 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Zigotzky
  Cc: Darren Stevens, Andrew Donnellan, linuxppc-dev, npiggin, rmclure,
	mad skateman, Trevor Dickinson, Christian Zigotzky

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 9:11 AM Christian Zigotzky
<chzigotzky@xenosoft.de> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> make oldconfig has asked because of the CPU family. I choosed GENERIC for my P.A. Semi PWRficient PA6T-1682M. Is this correct? Maybe this is the problem.
>
> config GENERIC_CPU
> - bool "Generic (POWER4 and above)"
> + bool "Generic (POWER5 and PowerPC 970 and above)"
>   depends on PPC_BOOK3S_64 && !CPU_LITTLE_ENDIAN
>   select PPC_64S_HASH_MMU
>
> There isn’t a POWER4 anymore and I used it via CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU=y before.
>
> Before the first PowerPC updates:
> CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU=y
> # CONFIG_POWER5_CPU is not set
>
> Link: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/arch/powerpc/platforms/Kconfig.cputype

I think the mistake here is that there are two GENERIC_CPUs now, and
one of them is the wrong one and overrides settings. I'm surprised
Kconfig didn't balk at it.

I have a vague memory that PA6T had a little-endian mode, but it was
never used much and I wouldn't expect it to work.

-Olof

* Re: Issues with the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1
@ 2022-10-15  9:50         ` Andrew Donnellan
From: Andrew Donnellan @ 2022-10-15  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Zigotzky, Christophe Leroy
  Cc: Darren Stevens, mad skateman, npiggin, rmclure, Trevor Dickinson,

On Thu, 2022-10-13 at 11:42 +0200, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
> Hi Christophe,
>
> Thanks a lot for your answer. OK, now, I know, that I don’t need to
> test it. After the boot of the latest git kernel, my system was
> extremely damaged. Some config files has a size of several gigabytes
> for example the resolv.conf. I tried to repair this Debian system but
> without any success.
> I copied with dd and Netcat via network another rootfs from another
> computer to the damaged partition.
> I don’t have the time to do it always again and again after a bad
> bisect result.
> I will wait some weeks and try it again.

You're right, I was in a rush, saw a processor that wasn't IBM and
assumed it was 32-bit without thinking too much!

Andrew

@ 2022-10-15 21:05           ` Christian Zigotzky
From: Christian Zigotzky @ 2022-10-15 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Donnellan
  Cc: Darren Stevens, mad skateman, npiggin, rmclure, Trevor Dickinson,
	Olof Johansson, linuxppc-dev, Christian Zigotzky

> On 15. Oct 2022, at 11:51, Andrew Donnellan <ajd@linux.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 2022-10-13 at 11:42 +0200, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
>> Hi Christophe,
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your answer. OK, now, I know, that I don’t need to
>> test it. After the boot of the latest git kernel, my system was
>> extremely damaged. Some config files has a size of several gigabytes
>> for example the resolv.conf. I tried to repair this Debian system but
>> without any success.
>> I copied with dd and Netcat via network another rootfs from another
>> computer to the damaged partition.
>> I don’t have the time to do it always again and again after a bad
>> bisect result.
>> I will wait some weeks and try it again.
>
> You're right, I was in a rush, saw a processor that wasn't IBM and
> assumed it was 32-bit without thinking too much!
>

> Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your answer. Is it possible to fix it?

Thanks,
Christian

@ 2022-10-16 16:46           ` Segher Boessenkool
From: Segher Boessenkool @ 2022-10-16 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Zigotzky
  Cc: Darren Stevens, Andrew Donnellan, linuxppc-dev, npiggin, rmclure,
	mad skateman, Olof Johansson, Trevor Dickinson,
	Christian Zigotzky

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 06:11:21PM +0200, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
> make oldconfig has asked because of the CPU family. I choosed GENERIC for my P.A. Semi PWRficient PA6T-1682M. Is this correct? Maybe this is the problem.
>
> config GENERIC_CPU
> -	bool "Generic (POWER4 and above)"
> +	bool "Generic (POWER5 and PowerPC 970 and above)"
>  	depends on PPC_BOOK3S_64 && !CPU_LITTLE_ENDIAN
>  	select PPC_64S_HASH_MMU
>
> There isn’t a POWER4 anymore and I used it via CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU=y before.

PA6T is ISA 2.04, just like POWER5+.  It should be fine.

Segher

* Re: Issues with the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1
@ 2022-10-16 17:32             ` Christian Zigotzky
From: Christian Zigotzky @ 2022-10-16 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Segher Boessenkool
  Cc: Darren Stevens, Andrew Donnellan, linuxppc-dev, npiggin, rmclure,
	mad skateman, Olof Johansson, Trevor Dickinson,
	Christian Zigotzky

No, it’s not fine. We used the POWER4 CPU config before.

— Christian

@ 2022-10-17  0:17             ` Michael Ellerman
From: Michael Ellerman @ 2022-10-17  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olof Johansson, Christian Zigotzky
  Cc: Darren Stevens, Andrew Donnellan, npiggin, rmclure, mad skateman,
	linuxppc-dev, Trevor Dickinson, Christian Zigotzky

Olof Johansson <olof@lixom.net> writes:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 9:11 AM Christian Zigotzky
> <chzigotzky@xenosoft.de> wrote:
>>
>> make oldconfig has asked because of the CPU family. I choosed GENERIC for my P.A. Semi PWRficient PA6T-1682M. Is this correct? Maybe this is the problem.
>>
>> config GENERIC_CPU
>> - bool "Generic (POWER4 and above)"
>> + bool "Generic (POWER5 and PowerPC 970 and above)"
>>   depends on PPC_BOOK3S_64 && !CPU_LITTLE_ENDIAN
>>   select PPC_64S_HASH_MMU
>>
>> There isn’t a POWER4 anymore and I used it via CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU=y before.
>>
>> Before the first PowerPC updates:
>> CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU=y
>> # CONFIG_POWER5_CPU is not set
>>
>> Link: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/arch/powerpc/platforms/Kconfig.cputype
>
> I think the mistake here is that there are two GENERIC_CPUs now, and
> one of them is the wrong one and overrides settings. I'm surprised
> Kconfig didn't balk at it.

We've had two GENERIC_CPUs since 2018:

  a73657ea19ae ("powerpc/64: Add GENERIC_CPU support for little endian")

They're mutually exclusive because of the ENDIAN dependencies.

I don't know if that's supposed to be allowed by Kconfig, but AFAIK it
has been working.

> I have a vague memory that PA6T had a little-endian mode, but it was
> never used much and I wouldn't expect it to work.

I don't think endian is an issue here. Christian should be getting the
big endian version of GENERIC_CPU.

cheers

* Re: Issues with the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1
@ 2022-10-17  0:42               ` Michael Ellerman
From: Michael Ellerman @ 2022-10-17  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Zigotzky, Segher Boessenkool
  Cc: Darren Stevens, Andrew Donnellan, npiggin, rmclure, mad skateman,
	Olof Johansson, linuxppc-dev, Trevor Dickinson,
	Christian Zigotzky

Christian Zigotzky <chzigotzky@xenosoft.de> writes:
> No, it’s not fine. We used the POWER4 CPU config before.

We dropped POWER4 support in 2018.

The recent commit just updated the help text to match reality.

There were some changes to the CPU flags, but if anything they should
have made things more likely to work properly on old CPUs.

Previously BIG_ENDIAN && GENERIC_CPU would use -mcpu=power5, now it uses
-mcpu=power4.

cheers

@ 2022-10-17  7:53                 ` Christian Zigotzky
       [not found]                   ` <fe06590f-6db6-f5cc-72ec-e635f66f3d3b@xenosoft.de>
From: Christian Zigotzky @ 2022-10-17  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Ellerman
  Cc: Darren Stevens, Andrew Donnellan, npiggin, rmclure, mad skateman,
	Olof Johansson, linuxppc-dev, Trevor Dickinson,
	Christian Zigotzky

> On 17. Oct 2022, at 02:43, Michael Ellerman <mpe@ellerman.id.au> wrote:
> Previously BIG_ENDIAN && GENERIC_CPU would use -mcpu=power5, now it uses
> -mcpu=power4.

Maybe this is the issue. We will wait and not release the RC1 for testing because it is a risk for our testers to test these new kernels because of this issue.

It is really important do not to rewrite code, that is well worked before.
Bugfixing and adding some new features is ok but rewriting of good code is expensive and doesn’t make any sense.

— Christian

@ 2022-10-29 13:52                     ` Christian Zigotzky
From: Christian Zigotzky @ 2022-10-29 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Ellerman
  Cc: Darren Stevens, Andrew Donnellan, npiggin, rmclure, mad skateman,

On 29 October 2022 at 01:44 pm, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
> On 17 October 2022 at 09:53 am, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
>>> On 17. Oct 2022, at 02:43, Michael Ellerman <mpe@ellerman.id.au> wrote:
>>> Previously BIG_ENDIAN && GENERIC_CPU would use -mcpu=power5, now it
>>> uses
>>> -mcpu=power4.
>> Maybe this is the issue. We will wait and not release the RC1 for
>> testing because it is a risk for our testers to test these new
>> kernels because of this issue.
>>

>>> cheers
>>>

> I compiled the RC2 of kernel 6.0 today.
Typo: I mean the RC2 of kernel 6.1.

@ 2022-10-29 15:33                   ` Segher Boessenkool
       [not found]                   ` <fe06590f-6db6-f5cc-72ec-e635f66f3d3b@xenosoft.de>
From: Segher Boessenkool @ 2022-10-29 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Zigotzky
  Cc: Darren Stevens, Andrew Donnellan, npiggin, rmclure, mad skateman,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 09:53:04AM +0200, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
> > On 17. Oct 2022, at 02:43, Michael Ellerman <mpe@ellerman.id.au> wrote:
> > Previously BIG_ENDIAN && GENERIC_CPU would use -mcpu=power5, now it uses
> > -mcpu=power4.
>
> Maybe this is the issue. We will wait and not release the RC1 for testing because it is a risk for our testers to test these new kernels because of this issue.
>
> It is really important do not to rewrite code, that is well worked before.
> Bugfixing and adding some new features is ok but rewriting of good code is expensive and doesn’t make any sense.

It was just a bugfix, and a (partial) revert.

471d7ff8b51b says it removed ISA 2.00 support (original power4, "GP").
Support for ISA 2.01 was retained it says.  That is power4+, "GQ", but
also 970 (Apple G5).  That patch actually switched to ISA 2.02 though,
unintendedly, and code generated for ISA 2.02 will not run on systems
like 970, in principle.  It is just one uncommon instruction that is
problematical, namely popcntb, because the kernel does not use floating
point at all, so that is why we got away with it for so long (most code
that does use fp will fall flat on its face in no time).  It still is a
bug fix though!

PA6T is ISA 2.04, it's not clear how this (bugfix, and revert!) change
made code not run on PA6T anymore.  Smells a lot like something indirect
(or triply indirect), a separate bug, something that was introduced in
the last two years maybe, but I'll even bet it is something *exposed* in
that time, a bug that has been here for longer!

Segher

* Re: Issues with the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1
@ 2022-10-30  7:57                     ` Christian Zigotzky
From: Christian Zigotzky @ 2022-10-30  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Segher Boessenkool
  Cc: Darren Stevens, Andrew Donnellan, npiggin, rmclure, mad skateman,

On 29 October 2022 at 5:33 pm, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 09:53:04AM +0200, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
>>> On 17. Oct 2022, at 02:43, Michael Ellerman <mpe@ellerman.id.au> wrote:
>>> Previously BIG_ENDIAN && GENERIC_CPU would use -mcpu=power5, now it uses
>>> -mcpu=power4.
>> Maybe this is the issue. We will wait and not release the RC1 for testing because it is a risk for our testers to test these new kernels because of this issue.
>>
>> It is really important do not to rewrite code, that is well worked before.
>> Bugfixing and adding some new features is ok but rewriting of good code is expensive and doesn’t make any sense.
> It was just a bugfix, and a (partial) revert.
>
> 471d7ff8b51b says it removed ISA 2.00 support (original power4, "GP").
> Support for ISA 2.01 was retained it says.  That is power4+, "GQ", but
> also 970 (Apple G5).  That patch actually switched to ISA 2.02 though,
> unintendedly, and code generated for ISA 2.02 will not run on systems
> like 970, in principle.  It is just one uncommon instruction that is
> problematical, namely popcntb, because the kernel does not use floating
> point at all, so that is why we got away with it for so long (most code
> that does use fp will fall flat on its face in no time).  It still is a
> bug fix though!
>
> PA6T is ISA 2.04, it's not clear how this (bugfix, and revert!) change
> made code not run on PA6T anymore.  Smells a lot like something indirect
> (or triply indirect), a separate bug, something that was introduced in
> the last two years maybe, but I'll even bet it is something *exposed* in
> that time, a bug that has been here for longer!
>

> Segher
Unfortunately my FSL P5040 system is also affected.

@ 2022-10-30 13:30                     ` Christian Zigotzky
From: Christian Zigotzky @ 2022-10-30 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev
  Cc: Darren Stevens, Andrew Donnellan, npiggin, rmclure, mad skateman,
	Olof Johansson, Trevor Dickinson, Christian Zigotzky

On 29 October 2022 at 01:44 pm, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
> On 17 October 2022 at 09:53 am, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
>>> On 17. Oct 2022, at 02:43, Michael Ellerman <mpe@ellerman.id.au> wrote:
>>> Previously BIG_ENDIAN && GENERIC_CPU would use -mcpu=power5, now it
>>> uses
>>> -mcpu=power4.
>> Maybe this is the issue. We will wait and not release the RC1 for
>> testing because it is a risk for our testers to test these new
>> kernels because of this issue.
>>

>>> cheers
>>>

> I compiled the RC2 of kernel 6.1 today.
>
> After the first boot of the RC2, the file system was immediately to
> 100% used.  This is the same issue we have seen with the git kernel 3
> weeks ago.
>
> The Cyrus+ and Nemo boards are affected.
>
> I wrote 3 weeks ago:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I successfully compiled the latest git kernel with the first PowerPC
> updates yesterday.
>
> Unfortunately this kernel is really dangerous. Many things for example
> Network Manager and LightDM don't work anymore and produced several
> gigabyte of config files till the partition has been filled.
>
> I deleted some files like the resolv.conf that had a size over 200 GB!
>
> Unfortunately, MintPPC was still damaged. For example LightDM doesn't
> work anymore and the MATE desktop doesn't display any icons anymore
> because Caja wasn't able to reserve memory anymore.
>
> In this case, bisecting isn't an option and I have to wait some weeks.
> It is really difficult to find the issue if the userland will damaged
> again and again.
>
> Cheers,
> Christian
>
> ---
>
> Maybe there is an issue in my kernel configs. Could you please check
> the configs? Please find attached the configs. Could you please test
> the RC2 on your FSL and pasemi machines?
>
> Thanks,
> Christian

Hi All,

I bisected today because Void PPC is recovering after a reboot. Memory
space is released again. [1]

Result: c2e7a19827eec443a7cbe85e8d959052412d6dc3 (powerpc: Use generic
fallocate compatibility syscall) is the first bad commit. [2]

I was able to create a patch for reverting this bad commit. [3]

I compiled the kernel with this patch. After that the kernel works
without any problems.

Please check the first bad commit. [2]

Thanks,
Christian

[1] https://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?p=56099#p56099
[2]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=c2e7a19827eec443a7cbe85e8d959052412d6dc3
[3] syscall.patch:

diff -rupN a/arch/powerpc/include/asm/syscalls.h
b/arch/powerpc/include/asm/syscalls.h
--- a/arch/powerpc/include/asm/syscalls.h       2022-10-30
13:53:28.956001116 +0100
+++ b/arch/powerpc/include/asm/syscalls.h       2022-10-30
13:55:39.166300756 +0100
@@ -15,6 +15,7 @@
  #include <asm/unistd.h>
  #include <asm/ucontext.h>

+long compat_sys_fallocate(int fd, int mode, u32 offset1, u32 offset2,
u32 len1, u32 len2);
  #ifndef CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_SYSCALL_WRAPPER
  long sys_ni_syscall(void);
  #else
diff -rupN a/arch/powerpc/include/asm/unistd.h
b/arch/powerpc/include/asm/unistd.h
--- a/arch/powerpc/include/asm/unistd.h 2022-10-30 13:53:28.957001103 +0100
+++ b/arch/powerpc/include/asm/unistd.h 2022-10-30 13:56:44.851441888 +0100
@@ -45,7 +45,6 @@
  #define __ARCH_WANT_SYS_UTIME
  #define __ARCH_WANT_SYS_NEWFSTATAT
  #define __ARCH_WANT_COMPAT_STAT
-#define __ARCH_WANT_COMPAT_FALLOCATE
  #define __ARCH_WANT_COMPAT_SYS_SENDFILE
  #endif
  #define __ARCH_WANT_SYS_FORK
diff -rupN a/arch/powerpc/kernel/sys_ppc32.c
b/arch/powerpc/kernel/sys_ppc32.c
--- a/arch/powerpc/kernel/sys_ppc32.c   2022-10-30 13:53:28.967000972 +0100
+++ b/arch/powerpc/kernel/sys_ppc32.c   2022-10-30 13:58:28.993078689 +0100
@@ -97,6 +97,13 @@ PPC32_SYSCALL_DEFINE4(ppc_truncate64,
         return ksys_truncate(path, merge_64(len1, len2));
  }

+long compat_sys_fallocate(int fd, int mode, u32 offset1, u32 offset2,
+                                    u32 len1, u32 len2)
+{
+       return ksys_fallocate(fd, mode, merge_64(offset1, offset2),
+                            merge_64(len1, len2));
+}
+
  PPC32_SYSCALL_DEFINE4(ppc_ftruncate64,
                        unsigned int, fd, u32, reg4,
                        unsigned long, len1, unsigned long, len2)

* Re: Issues with the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1 #forregzbot
@ 2022-10-30 16:46 ` Thorsten Leemhuis
From: Thorsten Leemhuis @ 2022-10-30 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev, regressions

[Note: this mail is primarily send for documentation purposes and/or for
regzbot, my Linux kernel regression tracking bot. That's why I removed
most or all folks from the list of recipients, but left any that looked
like a mailing lists. These mails usually contain '#forregzbot' in the
subject, to make them easy to spot and filter out.]

[TLDR: I'm adding this regression report to the list of tracked
regressions; all text from me you find below is based on a few templates
paragraphs you might have encountered already already in similar form.]

Hi, this is your Linux kernel regression tracker.

On 12.10.22 08:51, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I use the Nemo board with a PASemi PA6T CPU and have some issues since the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1.
>
> I successfully compiled the git kernel with the first PowerPC updates two days ago.
>
> Unfortunately this kernel is really dangerous. Many things for example Network Manager and LightDM don't work anymore and produced several gigabyte of config files till the partition has been filled.
>
> I deleted some files like the resolv.conf that had a size over 200 GB!
>
> Unfortunately, MintPPC was still damaged. For example LightDM doesn't work anymore and the MATE desktop doesn't display any icons anymore because Caja wasn't able to reserve memory anymore.
>
> In this case, bisecting isn't an option and I have to wait some weeks. It is really difficult to find the issue if the userland will damaged again and again.

Thanks for the report. To be sure below issue doesn't fall through the
cracks unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, my Linux kernel regression
tracking bot:

#regzbot ^introduced c2e7a19827eec443a7cb
#regzbot title ppc: PASemi PA6T CPU: Network Manager and LightDM and
fill volume with data
#regzbot ignore-activity

This isn't a regression? This issue or a fix for it are already
discussed somewhere else? It was fixed already? You want to clarify when
the regression started to happen? Or point out I got the title or
something else totally wrong? Then just reply -- ideally with also
telling regzbot about it, as explained here:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/tracked-regression/

Reminder for developers: When fixing the issue, add 'Link:' tags
pointing to the report (the mail this one replies to), as explained for
in the Linux kernel's documentation; above webpage explains why this is
important for tracked regressions.

P.S.: As the Linux kernel's regression tracker I deal with a lot of
reports and sometimes miss something important when writing mails like
this. If that's the case here, don't hesitate to tell me in a public
reply, it's in everyone's interest to set the public record straight.

* Issues with the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1
@ 2022-11-01 16:46                       ` Christian Zigotzky
From: Christian Zigotzky @ 2022-11-01 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev
  Cc: Darren Stevens, Andrew Donnellan, npiggin, rmclure, mad skateman,

On 30 October 2022 at 02:30 pm, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
> [...]
> b/arch/powerpc/kernel/sys_ppc32.c
> --- a/arch/powerpc/kernel/sys_ppc32.c   2022-10-30 13:53:28.967000972
> +0100
> +++ b/arch/powerpc/kernel/sys_ppc32.c   2022-10-30 13:58:28.993078689
> +0100
> @@ -97,6 +97,13 @@ PPC32_SYSCALL_DEFINE4(ppc_truncate64,
>         return ksys_truncate(path, merge_64(len1, len2));
>  }
>
> +long compat_sys_fallocate(int fd, int mode, u32 offset1, u32 offset2,
> +                                    u32 len1, u32 len2)
> +{
> +       return ksys_fallocate(fd, mode, merge_64(offset1, offset2),
> +                            merge_64(len1, len2));
> +}
> +
>  PPC32_SYSCALL_DEFINE4(ppc_ftruncate64,
>                        unsigned int, fd, u32, reg4,
>                        unsigned long, len1, unsigned long, len2)

Hello,

I compiled the RC3 of kernel 6.1 today. Unfortunately the issue still
exists. I still need the patch above for a working kernel.

Cheers,
Christian

* Re: Issues with the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1 #forregzbot
@ 2022-11-03  0:08   ` Michael Ellerman
From: Michael Ellerman @ 2022-11-03  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Leemhuis, linuxppc-dev, regressions

Thorsten Leemhuis <regressions@leemhuis.info> writes:
> [Note: this mail is primarily send for documentation purposes and/or for
> regzbot, my Linux kernel regression tracking bot. That's why I removed
> most or all folks from the list of recipients, but left any that looked
> like a mailing lists. These mails usually contain '#forregzbot' in the
> subject, to make them easy to spot and filter out.]
>
> [TLDR: I'm adding this regression report to the list of tracked
> regressions; all text from me you find below is based on a few templates
> paragraphs you might have encountered already already in similar form.]
>
> Hi, this is your Linux kernel regression tracker.
>
> On 12.10.22 08:51, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I use the Nemo board with a PASemi PA6T CPU and have some issues since the first PowerPC updates for the kernel 6.1.
>>
>> I successfully compiled the git kernel with the first PowerPC updates two days ago.
>>
>> Unfortunately this kernel is really dangerous. Many things for example Network Manager and LightDM don't work anymore and produced several gigabyte of config files till the partition has been filled.
>>
>> I deleted some files like the resolv.conf that had a size over 200 GB!
>>
>> Unfortunately, MintPPC was still damaged. For example LightDM doesn't work anymore and the MATE desktop doesn't display any icons anymore because Caja wasn't able to reserve memory anymore.
>>
>> In this case, bisecting isn't an option and I have to wait some weeks. It is really difficult to find the issue if the userland will damaged again and again.
>
> Thanks for the report. To be sure below issue doesn't fall through the
> cracks unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, my Linux kernel regression
> tracking bot:
>
> #regzbot ^introduced c2e7a19827eec443a7cb
> #regzbot title ppc: PASemi PA6T CPU: Network Manager and LightDM and
> fill volume with data
> #regzbot ignore-activity
>
> This isn't a regression? This issue or a fix for it are already
> discussed somewhere else? It was fixed already? You want to clarify when
> the regression started to happen? Or point out I got the title or
> something else totally wrong? Then just reply -- ideally with also
> telling regzbot about it, as explained here:
> https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/tracked-regression/

#regzbot fixed-by: 40ff21432883

cheers