linuxppc-dev.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* mpc512x uart: testers wanted
@ 2010-03-07 16:15 Albrecht Dreß
From: Albrecht Dreß @ 2010-03-07 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux PPC Development

Hi all,

I recently posted a patch which improves the baud rate calculation on the mpc5200b.  Following requests by Grant and Wolfram, I added changes which do also affect the mpc512x.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to such a system, but IMHO the code (both the old implementation and my changes) contradict the data sheet.  Thus, it would be really helpful if you give give the code a try and report your experiences:

<http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2010-March/080815.html>

Thanks in advance,
Albrecht.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 190 bytes --]

* Re: mpc512x uart: testers wanted
@ 2010-03-08  0:45 ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2010-03-08  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anatolij Gustschin; +Cc: Linux PPC Development, Albrecht Dreß

Anatolij, could you please look into this?

Thanks,
g.

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Albrecht Dre=DF <albrecht.dress@arcor.de> w=
rote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently posted a patch which improves the baud rate calculation on the
> mpc5200b. =A0Following requests by Grant and Wolfram, I added changes whi=
ch do
> also affect the mpc512x.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have access to such a system, but IMHO the code (b=
oth
> the old implementation and my changes) contradict the data sheet. =A0Thus=
, it
> would be really helpful if you give give the code a try and report your
> experiences:
>
> <http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2010-March/080815.html>
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Albrecht.

--=20
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.

* Re: mpc512x uart: testers wanted
@ 2010-03-08 14:19   ` Anatolij Gustschin
From: Anatolij Gustschin @ 2010-03-08 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely; +Cc: Linux PPC Development, Albrecht Dreß

Hi Grant, Albrecht,

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 17:45:23 -0700
Grant Likely <grant.likely@secretlab.ca> wrote:

> Anatolij, could you please look into this?

I'll look into this tomorrow, need to finish USB support now.
Unfortunately the patch doesn't apply on top of Linus' tree as
patches for reworked MPC5121 PSC UART support have been merged.
Albrecht, could you please rebase your patch?

BTW, the prescaler /16 or /10 was mentioned in the MPC5121e
Preliminary Reference Manual, Rev.0. This seems to be the
reason for the usage of /16 prescaler in the code. Since
newer manuals only mention /32 or /10 prescaler, this should
be corrected/tested. I'll test it later.

Thanks,
Anatolij

* Re: mpc512x uart: testers wanted
@ 2010-03-08 16:32   ` Albrecht Dreß
From: Albrecht Dreß @ 2010-03-08 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: agust, grant.likely; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

Hi Anatolij:

> > Anatolij, could you please look into this?
>
> I'll look into this tomorrow, need to finish USB support now.
> Unfortunately the patch doesn't apply on top of Linus' tree as
> patches for reworked MPC5121 PSC UART support have been merged.
> Albrecht, could you please rebase your patch?

Against linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git?  Will do that tomorrow...  Grant, do you need a patch against Linus' tree, or against a released version, or against your tree?

> BTW, the prescaler /16 or /10 was mentioned in the MPC5121e
> Preliminary Reference Manual, Rev.0. This seems to be the
> reason for the usage of /16 prescaler in the code. Since
> newer manuals only mention /32 or /10 prescaler, this should
> be corrected/tested. I'll test it later.

Dumb question: do you use U-Boot to boot your processor?  If I interpret the code [1] correctly, it also uses the /16 prescaler!  Or did I miss something?

Best, Albrecht.

[1] <http://git.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=cpu/mpc512x/serial.c;h=ec2f41bb36dcfa9079d7890866a3aeec716ea124;hb=HEAD>

Sexy Stars bei den Oscars! Fotostrecken und alle aktuellen Infos zu Filmen und Preisen jetzt im Oscar-Special von Arcor.de: http://www.arcor.de/rd/footer.oscar

* Re: mpc512x uart: testers wanted
@ 2010-03-08 16:53     ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2010-03-08 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albrecht Dreß; +Cc: linuxppc-dev, agust

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Albrecht Dre=DF <albrecht.dress@arcor.de> w=
rote:
> Hi Anatolij:
>
>> > Anatolij, could you please look into this?
>>
>> I'll look into this tomorrow, need to finish USB support now.
>> Unfortunately the patch doesn't apply on top of Linus' tree as
>> patches for reworked MPC5121 PSC UART support have been merged.
>> Albrecht, could you please rebase your patch?
>
> Against linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git? =A0Will do that tomorrow=
... =A0Grant, do you need a patch against Linus' tree, or against a release=
d version, or against your tree?

I won't be picking this up until after -rc1 or -rc2 anyway, and it
won't get merged into Linus' tree until the 2.6.35 merge window, so
I'm not going to even touch it for a couple of weeks.  When I do get
to it I'll need it against Linus' tree.

g.

@ 2010-03-27  2:10       ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2010-03-27  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albrecht Dreß; +Cc: linuxppc-dev, agust

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Grant Likely <grant.likely@secretlab.ca> wr=
ote:
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Albrecht Dre=DF <albrecht.dress@arcor.de>=
 wrote:
>> Hi Anatolij:

>>> I'll look into this tomorrow, need to finish USB support now.
>>> Unfortunately the patch doesn't apply on top of Linus' tree as
>>> patches for reworked MPC5121 PSC UART support have been merged.
>>> Albrecht, could you please rebase your patch?
>>
>> Against linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git? =A0Will do that tomorro=
w... =A0Grant, do you need a patch against Linus' tree, or against a releas=
ed version, or against your tree?

> I won't be picking this up until after -rc1 or -rc2 anyway, and it
> won't get merged into Linus' tree until the 2.6.35 merge window, so
> I'm not going to even touch it for a couple of weeks. =A0When I do get
> to it I'll need it against Linus' tree.

Ping?  I was looking at this tonight but it of course doesn't apply.
Have you gotten a chance to rebase this patch yet?

Thanks,
g.

* Re: mpc512x uart: testers wanted
@ 2010-03-27 13:29         ` Albrecht Dreß
From: Albrecht Dreß @ 2010-03-27 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely; +Cc: linuxppc-dev, agust

Dear Grant:

Am 27.03.10 03:10 schrieb(en) Grant Likely:
> Ping?  I was looking at this tonight but it of course doesn't apply. Have you gotten a chance to rebase this patch yet?

Thanks for the reminder - I sent Anatolij the rebased patch off-list (as I didn't want to clutter the list again with the same patch) 2½ weeks ago, but didn't get any testing results from him yet.  If you want to see the patch in the list, too, please just drop me a note.

The patch works just fine for me on the 5200B, but IMHO it doesn't make sense to merge it before Anatolij could comment on the 512x part.

Cheers, Albrecht.

@ 2010-03-27 14:33           ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2010-03-27 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albrecht Dreß; +Cc: linuxppc-dev, agust

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Albrecht Dre=DF <albrecht.dress@arcor.de> =
wrote:
> Dear Grant:
>
> Am 27.03.10 03:10 schrieb(en) Grant Likely:
>>
>> Ping? =A0I was looking at this tonight but it of course doesn't apply. H=
ave
>> you gotten a chance to rebase this patch yet?
>
> Thanks for the reminder - I sent Anatolij the rebased patch off-list (as =
> didn't want to clutter the list again with the same patch) 2=BD weeks ago=
, but
> didn't get any testing results from him yet. =A0If you want to see the pa=
tch
> in the list, too, please just drop me a note.

Yes, please post it to the list.  Then I can also add it to my testing bran=
ch.

g.

* Re: mpc512x uart: testers wanted
@ 2010-03-27 17:47           ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2010-03-27 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albrecht Dreß; +Cc: linuxppc-dev, agust

Dear Albrecht =?iso-8859-1?b?RHJl3w==?=,

In message <1269696561.2245.2@antares> you wrote:

> Thanks for the reminder - I sent Anatolij the rebased patch off-list (as I
> didn't want to clutter the list again with the same patch) 2½ weeks ago,
> but didn't get any testing results from him yet.  If you want to see the patch
> in the list, too, please just drop me a note.

Anatolij is on vacation until mid April.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@denx.de
"If that makes any sense to you, you have a big problem."
                                  -- C. Durance, Computer Science 234

* Re: mpc512x uart: testers wanted
@ 2010-05-02 14:23   ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2010-05-02 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albrecht Dreß; +Cc: Linux PPC Development, Anatolij Gustschin

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 5:24 AM, Albrecht Dre=DF <albrecht.dress@arcor.de> w=
rote:
> Hi Grant:
>
> Am 27.04.10 20:28 schrieb(en) Albrecht Dre=DF:
>>>
>>> MPC5121e Hardware Design Guide provides correct info according to my
>>> tests using /16 and /10 prescaler. I've send a new patch with the fixed
>>> comments, unfortunately forgot to mark it as v4, but it is threaded to =
your
>>> v.3a patch and contains a small changelog, so I hope it is not a proble=
m.

>> Grant? =A0Is this fine for you, or should I "officially" re-send it?
>
> *ping*
>
> IMHO, this issue can be closed now, as the correct uart operation has bee=
> verified on both the 512x (Anatolij) and 5200 (me) processors. =A0Do you
> accept Anatolij's "joint patch" he sent on Apr 26, or is that procedure t=
oo
> confusing? =A0And do we need further Acked-by's?

Yes, I'll pick up Anatolij's patch.  No further work needed by you.

g.

* Re: mpc512x uart: testers wanted
       [not found] <1272392908.6504.0@antares>
@ 2010-05-02 11:24 ` Albrecht Dreß