linuxppc-dev.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* How to make a simpleImage equivalent in 2.6.24?
@ 2008-09-09 11:46 Martin Kuhnert
From: Martin Kuhnert @ 2008-09-09 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Hi,

while developing for a Virtex platform I'm used to do

  make simpleImage.virtex405-<myboard>

on recent kernels to get a bootwrapped kernel including the dtb as described
in http://ols.fedoraproject.org/OLS/Reprints-2008/likely2-reprint.pdf.

How to compile a 2.6.24.x kernel to get an equivalent elf file which runs
out of the ram and includes the kernel, the bootwrapper _AND_ the dtb?

As I studied the Makefile in arch/powerpc/boot it looks like

  make zImage.<myboard>

should work. I tried it this in many ways but Make doesn't find the target.

Currently, I'm using "make zImage" and arch/powerpc/boot/wrapper
for this purpose:

  "arch/powerpc/boot/wrapper -o zImage.virtex -p of " \
  "-s arch/powerpc/boot/dts/virtex405-<myboard>.dts " \
  "-C ppc405-402- vmlinux"

Thanks for suggestions!

--
Martin

* Re: How to make a simpleImage equivalent in 2.6.24?
@ 2008-09-17 17:49 ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2008-09-17 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Kuhnert; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 11:46:42AM +0000, Martin Kuhnert wrote:
> How to compile a 2.6.24.x kernel to get an equivalent elf file which runs
> out of the ram and includes the kernel, the bootwrapper _AND_ the dtb?
>
> As I studied the Makefile in arch/powerpc/boot it looks like
>
>   make zImage.<myboard>
>
> should work. I tried it this in many ways but Make doesn't find the target.

Yes, you can make this work, but it doesn't work "out of the box".
You'll need to do some poking around the wrapper script to generate the
right stuff in your image.

> Currently, I'm using "make zImage" and arch/powerpc/boot/wrapper
> for this purpose:

BTW, the 'zImage' target isn't a real image target in the Makefile.
Instead, 'zImage' builds the list of targets stored in the image-y
makefile variable.  It might help for you to look at
Documentation/powerpc/bootwrapper.txt.

g.