live-patching.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: Current status about arm64 livepatch support
       [not found]   ` <20200313122244.GI42546@lakrids.cambridge.arm.com>
@ 2020-03-13 13:30     ` Julien Thierry
From: Julien Thierry @ 2020-03-13 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Rutland, Xiao Yang
  Cc: Torsten Duwe, Torsten Duwe, linux-arm-kernel, Mark Brown, live-patching

[Cc-ing live-patching mailing list which might also be interested in the
progress of arm64 support]

>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2018-October/609124.html

>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631107.html
>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631105.html
>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631106.html
>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631114.html
>>>
>>> Could you tell me current status about arm64 livepatch support?
>>> For example:
>>> 1) Are you(or someone) still working on arm64 livepatch support?
>>> 2) Are there some unresolved problems about arm64 livepatch support?
>>>      What are they?
>>> 3) Will you send a newer version for arm64 livepatch support recently?
>
> 1) I beleive a few people are working on portions of this.
>
> 2) I believe that some work is necessary.
>
>     Julien Thierry has done some work on objtool, which is necessary to
>     check ensure that sequences (including assembly functions) manipulate
>     the stack, and calls/returns as we expect. Mark Brown has been
>     converting our assembly to use modern annotations which objtool
>     consumes when checking this.

I've recently started working on the arm64 objtool again and saw the
work to use new annotations by Mark B. which is very helpful, thanks for
that. I've rebased the objtool work on them and working on solving the
new/remaining objtool warnings.

I've also reworked the arm64 decoder. I'm not sure yet when I'll be able
to post a new version but it's coming!

>     There might be additional assembly work necessary for this, depending
>     on any deecisions we make for objtool.
>
>     For reliable stack tracing we may need to rework some assemvly and/or
>     rework the stack tracing code. That will likely depend on the objtool
>     bits.

There is one thing I'll be introducing in the next arm64 objtool
patchset which are unwind_hints (inspired from
arch/x86/include/asm/unhind_hints.h) which are annotation indicating in
which state we expect the stack to be when entering assembly code or
fiddling with stack registers in the middle of assembly code.

I haven't finished the work on that yet.

Cheers,

--
Julien Thierry

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-03-13 13:30 UTC | newest]