* Re: linux kernel 2.4.10 possibly breaks LILO
@ 2001-10-02 17:55 Petr Titera
From: Petr Titera @ 2001-10-02 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: haiquy; +Cc: linux-kernel

Possitive here. Just try to change to new kernel image. I was forced to
install grub after upgrading to 2.4.10.

Petr

* Re: linux kernel 2.4.10 possibly breaks LILO
@ 2001-10-02 23:45   ` Jonathan Walther
From: Jonathan Walther @ 2001-10-02 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Ford; +Cc: Petr Titera, haiquy, linux-kernel

* Re: linux kernel 2.4.10 possibly breaks LILO
@ 2001-10-02 23:55 ` David Ford
From: David Ford @ 2001-10-02 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Titera; +Cc: haiquy, linux-kernel

Lilo is fine, back down to the kernel image prior to your current one,
run lilo with your new image, then boot into the new image.

Lilo can now be run just fine.

Something in the pre10 series hosed something which caused the first
instance of lilo to segfault then the next to deadlock waiting on a
page.  2.4.10 proper fixed that.  In my case I reverted to 2.4.7-pre6,
ran lilo, then booted into 2.4.10 and ran lilo.  Worked like a charm.
 ('course I had a boot disk at the ready)

David

@ 2001-10-03 14:36 ` Dave Cinege
From: Dave Cinege @ 2001-10-03 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Titera, linux-kernel

On Tuesday 02 October 2001 13:55, Petr Titera wrote:
> Possitive here. Just try to change to new kernel image. I was forced to
> install grub after upgrading to 2.4.10.

If this is the case, I'd call that a feature.  ; >

Dave
<Well known absolute block offset bootloader hater>

--
The time is now 22:19 (Totalitarian)  -  http://www.ccops.org/clock.html

* Re: linux kernel 2.4.10 possibly breaks LILO
@ 2001-10-03 20:46   ` Petr Titera
From: Petr Titera @ 2001-10-03 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> If this is the case, I'd call that a feature.  ; >
>
> Dave
> <Well known absolute block offset bootloader hater>

I hate it too now. I even booted from image I deleted. God knows what would
happen if I did not noticed it early :))

> --

Petr

* Re: linux kernel 2.4.10 possibly breaks LILO
@ 2001-10-02 19:09   ` Andreas Dilger
From: Andreas Dilger @ 2001-10-02 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Titera; +Cc: rui.ribeiro, linux-kernel

On Oct 02, 2001  20:10 +0200, Petr Titera wrote:
> May be, that it is filesystem dependant (using ext3), but I dont know...
> Looks like effect of blkdev-in-pagecache. I saw something similiar in past
> when I played with loop-like devices.

Yes, it is blkdev-in-pagecache, and it _should_ be fixed in 2.4.11-pre2.
Please upgrade and give it a try.

Cheers, Andreas

* Re: linux kernel 2.4.10 possibly breaks LILO
@ 2001-10-02 18:10 ` Petr Titera
From: Petr Titera @ 2001-10-02 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rui.ribeiro; +Cc: linux-kernel

> I'm using LILO 21.6.1 w/ 2.4.10 and Reiserfs in my two notebooks: a Compaq
Armada 1500c and a Compaq Armada

@ 2001-10-02 18:03 Rui Ribeiro
From: Rui Ribeiro @ 2001-10-02 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Petr Titera', rui.ribeiro; +Cc: linux-kernel

I did have to upgrade LILO to a new version, when I *manually* upgrade from ext2 to Reiserfs.

Rui

@ 2001-10-02 17:54 Rui Ribeiro
From: Rui Ribeiro @ 2001-10-02 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Petr Titera', haiquy; +Cc: linux-kernel

I'm using LILO 21.6.1 w/ 2.4.10 and Reiserfs in my two notebooks: a Compaq Armada 1500c and a Compaq Armada 100S.

Rui

Possitive here. Just try to change to new kernel image. I was forced to
install grub after upgrading to 2.4.10.

Petr

-

* Re: linux kernel 2.4.10 possibly breaks LILO
@ 2001-09-27  5:10 ` Steve Kieu
From: Steve Kieu @ 2001-09-27  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Zalewski; +Cc: kernel

 --- Ken Zalewski <kennyz@nycap.rr.com> wrote: >
> Modifying /etc/lilo.conf and running "lilo" when
> using kernel version
> 2.4.10 does not appear to modify the boot sector
.tux.org/lkml/

Negative here, I just modify lilo.conf, add the option
prompt; run lilo and reboot. It works fine.

I use 2.4.10 with preemt patch...

I believe the others options will work too.

=====
S.KIEU

http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel
- Got Itchy feet? Get inspired!

* Re: linux kernel 2.4.10 possibly breaks LILO
@ 2001-09-27  5:01 ` Andreas Dilger
From: Andreas Dilger @ 2001-09-27  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Zalewski; +Cc: linux-kernel, zalewski

On Sep 26, 2001  23:48 -0400, Ken Zalewski wrote:
> Modifying /etc/lilo.conf and running "lilo" when using kernel version
> 2.4.10 does not appear to modify the boot sector accordingly, even
> though I receive no errors or warnings.  On next reboot, LILO is
> configured as it was previous to my changes.  I am therefore unable to
> modify LILO configuration in any way while using 2.4.10.

It is likely the blkdev-in-pagecache change which caused this problem.
If you have a mounted filesystem on the same device as the bootsector
you are writing (e.g. /dev/hda1) and the bootsector shares a block with
the filesystem (e.g. 2kB or 4kB blocks and ext2/ext3) then any changes
made to the bootsector are overwritten as soon as you make any change
to the filesystem.

To test this theory (if possible) you could remount the filesystem
read-only before running LILO.  This would only work if you had a
setup like /dev/hda1 is / and /dev/hdX is /boot, because you still
need to be able to write into /boot.  If /boot is in the root fs, it
is not possible to do this.  If you CAN do this, then you need to
reboot after running LILO.

Cheers, Andreas

* linux kernel 2.4.10 possibly breaks LILO
@ 2001-09-27  3:48 Ken Zalewski
From: Ken Zalewski @ 2001-09-27  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: kennyz, zalewski

Modifying /etc/lilo.conf and running "lilo" when using kernel version
2.4.10 does not appear to modify the boot sector accordingly, even
though I receive no errors or warnings.  On next reboot, LILO is
configured as it was previous to my changes.  I am therefore unable to
modify LILO configuration in any way while using 2.4.10.

Machine summary:

AMD Athlon 1 GHz
VIA 686b southbridge
512 MB PC133 SDRAM
/dev/hda = 30 GB Western Digital ATA-100 drive
/dev/hda1 is root partition and active partition
Linux 2.4.10
LILO 21.7-5

Details:

I recently built the latest 2.4.10 kernel from source and installed it
(upgraded from 2.4.7).  Ran "lilo", and the new image booted and I was
happily running 2.4.10.  I then made some changes to /etc/lilo.conf,
re-ran "lilo", and rebooted.  On reboot, the my changes were not
apparent, and the previous configuration was used.

I began experimenting more, making drastic changes to /etc/lilo.conf.
No matter what I did to lilo.conf (even changing from "linear" to
"lba32" and back), running "lilo" produced no change to the startup.

I used a floppy to boot into 2.4.7, ran "lilo", rebooted, and noticed
that my changes had registered.

I then built kernel version 2.4.9, and did the same experiment.  My
change to /etc/lilo.conf registered fine on the next reboot.

As a result, I have concluded that something has changed between 2.4.9
and 2.4.10 that causes LILO to be unable to overwrite the boot sector of
the active partition.  I also tried using LILO 22.0-beta, and the
problem persisted.

My kernel configurations for both 2.4.9 and 2.4.10 are almost identical.

I do not know if this is something specific to my own machine, but it is
consistently reproducible.  I have used versions 2.4.5, 2.4.7, 2.4.9,
and 2.4.10, and LILO fails to work ONLY on 2.4.10.  No errors are
printed by LILO, and doing "lilo -q -v" before rebooting seems to
indicate that everything happened properly (though I think that only
reads the map file, not the actual boot sector).

I would appreciate a response regarding this issue.  I have not seen
anything posted about this yet, so it could be something specific to my
machine - it's just strange that it just started happening on 2.4.10.

Ken Zalewski -- Director of Information Technology
Document Development Corporation
1223 Peoples Avenue, Troy, NY 12180
kennyz@nycap.rr.com   http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~kennyz/