* kernel panic after changing processor arch
@ 2004-12-06 18:29 Niel Lambrechts
From: Niel Lambrechts @ 2004-12-06 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I'm hoping someone can help:

I am trying to recompile using processor architecture PENTIUMM instead
of i586/i686.

Mkinitrd is used to create an initial ramdisk, but upon reboot I get:

reiserfs: version magic '2.6.8-24.5-default PENTIUMM REGPARM gcc-3.3'
should be '2.6.8-24.5-default 586 REGPARM gcc-3.3'
insmod: error inserting
'/lib/modules/2.6.8-24.5-default/kernel/fs/reiserfs/reiserfs.ko': -1
invalid module format
Waiting for device /dev/hda3 to appear: ok
rootfs: major=3 minor=3 devn=771
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(3,3)

I have tried other mailing-lists to no avail. Any ideas?

-Niel

* RE: kernel panic after changing processor arch
@ 2004-12-07 18:14 Niel Lambrechts
From: Niel Lambrechts @ 2004-12-07 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> I am trying to recompile using processor architecture
> PENTIUMM instead of i586/i686.
>
> Mkinitrd is used to create an initial ramdisk, but upon reboot I get:
>
> reiserfs: version magic '2.6.8-24.5-default PENTIUMM REGPARM
> gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.8-24.5-default 586 REGPARM gcc-3.3'
> insmod: error inserting
> '/lib/modules/2.6.8-24.5-default/kernel/fs/reiserfs/reiserfs.k
> o': -1 invalid module format Waiting for device /dev/hda3 to
> appear: ok
> rootfs: major=3 minor=3 devn=771
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(3,3)

Problem caused by user error.
lilo.conf boot stanza for the new image was pointing to the wrong kernel
in /boot...

Difficult to spot since the erroneous entry had the same kernel version.
(lame excuse). besides. I was tired.

@ 2004-12-06 19:07   ` John Lash
From: John Lash @ 2004-12-06 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niel Lambrechts; +Cc: 'Burton Windle', linux-kernel

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:58:33 +0200
"Niel Lambrechts" <antispam@telkomsa.net> wrote:

> > my first guess would be that the reiserfs module on your
> > initrd needs to be recompiled using the PENTIUMM arch.....
> >
> > --john
>
> No.
>
> I did:
> make menuconfig - change from i686 to pentiumm - save settings.
> make
> make install
> mkinitrd -s 1024x768 -k "bzImage.2.6.8-24.5-default" -I "initrd" -m
> "reiserfs"
> lilo
>
> If I "mount -o loop" the new initrd, modinfo shows the type of
> reiserfs.ko to be "PENTIUMM" as I would expect...
>
> I have also tried compiling reiserfs support directly into the kernel
> and dropping reiserfs from the -m option, to no avail.
>
> -Niel

so much for the first guess. try modifying the initrd to pop open an interactive
shell that you can use before it actually fails. You can poke around and see
what's going on. Depending on how it's set up, you might be able to get away
with something this simple in the linuxrc:

	/bin/sh </dev/console >/dev/console 2>/dev/console

If you ramdisk has strace and some other use utilities, it might help you track
down the bad apple.

--john

* RE: kernel panic after changing processor arch
       [not found] <20041206123705.5fbac5b4@homer.sarvega.com>
@ 2004-12-06 18:58 ` Niel Lambrechts
From: Niel Lambrechts @ 2004-12-06 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'John Lash'; +Cc: 'Burton Windle', linux-kernel