* FW: [Cooker] rotflags and initrd
@ 2001-09-13  5:46 Borsenkow Andrej
From: Borsenkow Andrej @ 2001-09-13  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> Borsenkow Andrej <Andrej.Borsenkow@mow.siemens.ru> writes:
>
> > If kernel mounts rootfs directly, you can pass mount options via
> > rootflags boot parameter, like
> >
> > linux rootflags=data=journal
>
> the "rootflags" kernel parameter is not documented in
> linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt and I can find it in the
> whole source only at one place. I'm not sure we should honour this.

Just how "official" the parameter really is? The problem is, you want
root on reiser to be in notail mode (if you boot off root - in any case,
to avoid problems with bootloaders) and remounting reiser later AFAIK
does not change tail conversion mode.

TIA

-andrej

* Re: FW: [Cooker] rotflags and initrd
@ 2001-09-13  6:37 ` Andreas Dilger
From: Andreas Dilger @ 2001-09-13  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Borsenkow Andrej; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sep 13, 2001  09:46 +0400, Borsenkow Andrej wrote:
> > Borsenkow Andrej <Andrej.Borsenkow@mow.siemens.ru> writes:
> > > If kernel mounts rootfs directly, you can pass mount options via
> > > rootflags boot parameter, like
> > >
> > > linux rootflags=data=journal
> >
> > the "rootflags" kernel parameter is not documented in
> > linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt and I can find it in the
> > whole source only at one place. I'm not sure we should honour this.
>
> Just how "official" the parameter really is? The problem is, you want
> root on reiser to be in notail mode (if you boot off root - in any case,
> to avoid problems with bootloaders) and remounting reiser later AFAIK
> does not change tail conversion mode.

The rootflags parameter is only a part of the ext3 patch, AFAIK.  It
is therefore probably in -ac kernels, but not stock Linus kernels.
Since it is useful by itself, it may be good to submit it as a patch
to Linus (this was done once along with the rootfstype= patch) but
I don't think it made it in.

Cheers, Andreas

* RE: FW: [Cooker] rotflags and initrd
@ 2001-09-13  6:45   ` Borsenkow Andrej
From: Borsenkow Andrej @ 2001-09-13  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andreas Dilger'; +Cc: linux-kernel, Mandrake cooker list

> > > the "rootflags" kernel parameter is not documented in
> > > linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt and I can find it in the
> > > whole source only at one place. I'm not sure we should honour
this.

> > Just how "official" the parameter really is? The problem is, you
want
> > root on reiser to be in notail mode (if you boot off root - in any
case,
> > to avoid problems with bootloaders) and remounting reiser later
AFAIK
> > does not change tail conversion mode.
>
> The rootflags parameter is only a part of the ext3 patch, AFAIK.  It
> is therefore probably in -ac kernels, but not stock Linus kernels.
> Since it is useful by itself, it may be good to submit it as a patch
> to Linus (this was done once along with the rootfstype= patch) but
> I don't think it made it in.

Ah ... well, in this case I speak about Mandrake kernel that includes
ext3. Thank you.

-andrej