* Customized 2.6.10 kernel on a Compact Flash
@ 2005-02-16 20:48 govind raj
From: govind raj @ 2005-02-16 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all,

We are trying to build a customized kernel image from the stable 2.6.10
kernel release (in kernel.org). We have not applied any kernel patches on
this released version. We are trying to boot this custom image onto a
compact flash (from Toshiba) in a embedded board (AMD processor with 64 MB
RAM). While the kernel is coming up during the boot process, it panics and
the console output is as follows:

Memory: 60648k/65536k available (2443k kernel code, 4412k reserved, 691k
data, 128k init, 0k highmem)
Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor mode... Ok.
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
CPU: AMD 486 DX/4-WB stepping 04
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
checking if image is initramfs... it is
Freeing initrd memory: 294k freed
Linux NoNET1.0 for Linux 2.6
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.00 entry at 0xf7861, last bus=2
PCI: Using configuration type 1
Linux Kernel Card Services
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
scx200: NatSemi SCx200 Driver
audit: initializing WITHOUT netlink support
audit(315837483.464:0): initialized
VFS: Disk quotas dquot_6.5.1
Dquot-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order 0, 4096 bytes)
NTFS driver 2.1.22 [Flags: R/W DEBUG].
QNX4 filesystem 0.2.3 registered.
SGI XFS with ACLs, security attributes, large block numbers, no debug
enabled
SGI XFS Quota Management subsystem
Initializing Cryptographic API
Real Time Clock Driver v1.12
Non-volatile memory driver v1.2
SyncLink PC Card driver $Revision: 4.26 $
SyncLink PC Card driver $Revision: 4.26 $, tty major#253
Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 14 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
ÿttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
io scheduler noop registered
io scheduler anticipatory registered
io scheduler deadline registered
io scheduler cfq registered
elevator: using anticipatory as default io scheduler
floppy0: no floppy controllers found
RAMDISK driver initialized: 4 RAM disks of 10240K size 1024 blocksize
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
PS2ESDI: error initialising device, releasing resources
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
hda: TOSHIBA THNCF128MMA, CFA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: max request size: 128KiB
hda: 250368 sectors (128 MB) w/2KiB Cache, CHS=978/8/32
hda: hda1
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
Freeing unused kernel memory: 128k freed

Are there any known issues in building this kernel version on a Compact
Flash? Request your inputs/suggestions to overcome this problem that we are
facing.

Thanks in advance for your time and inputs,

Govind

65,000 jobs listings. http://www.naukri.com/tieups/tieups.php?othersrcp=534
Post your CV on Naukri.com today.

* Re: Customized 2.6.10 kernel on a Compact Flash
@ 2005-02-16 21:02 ` Roland Dreier
From: Roland Dreier @ 2005-02-16 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: govind raj; +Cc: linux-kernel

    govid> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

It seems your kernel is booting fine, but your init process is exiting
(which leads to this message).  What userspace do you have installed
on your compact flash card?  In particular what are you using as "init"?

 - Roland

* Re: Customized 2.6.10 kernel on a Compact Flash
@ 2005-02-16 21:08   ` govind raj
From: govind raj @ 2005-02-16 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: roland; +Cc: linux-kernel

Thanks for your immediate response. We are just having a single partition
(hda0) in Compact Flash. We are using /sbin/init as our init process (We
have /linuxrc as a soft link to /sbin/init).

Regards

Govind

>From: Roland Dreier <roland@topspin.com>
>To: "govind raj" <agovinda04@hotmail.com>
>CC: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
>Subject: Re: Customized 2.6.10 kernel on a Compact Flash
>Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:02:45 -0800
>
>     govid> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>
>It seems your kernel is booting fine, but your init process is exiting
>(which leads to this message).  What userspace do you have installed
>on your compact flash card?  In particular what are you using as "init"?
>
>  - Roland

Start you business on Baazee today!
http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/4686-26272-10936-31?ck=RegSell Register
for Free!

* Re: Customized 2.6.10 kernel on a Compact Flash
@ 2005-02-16 21:12     ` Roland Dreier
From: Roland Dreier @ 2005-02-16 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: govind raj; +Cc: linux-kernel

    govind> Thanks for your immediate response. We are just having a
    govind> single partition (hda0) in Compact Flash. We are using
    govind> /sbin/init as our init process (We have /linuxrc as a soft
    govind> link to /sbin/init).

OK, but where do you get your /sbin/init executable from?  Do you have
your inittab set up correctly (if you need one)?  Can you think of
some reason why your init process is exiting?

 - Roland

* Re: Customized 2.6.10 kernel on a Compact Flash
@ 2005-02-16 21:25 ` linux-os
From: linux-os @ 2005-02-16 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: govind raj; +Cc: Linux kernel

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, govind raj wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are trying to build a customized kernel image from the stable 2.6.10
> kernel release (in kernel.org). We have not applied any kernel patches on
> this released version. We are trying to boot this custom image onto a compact
> flash (from Toshiba) in a embedded board (AMD processor with 64 MB RAM).
> While the kernel is coming up during the boot process, it panics and the
> console output is as follows:

[SNIPPED...]

> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

This message occurs when init or something you substituted
for init 'returns' to the kernel!

Everything is fine up to that point. Perhaps you don't have
init's correct C-runtime library?

You can make an init program with a main(), printf() and pause(),
statically-linked. That would get you started.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.10 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
                  98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

* RE: Customized 2.6.10 kernel on a Compact Flash
@ 2005-02-16 21:39   ` Atul Bhouraskar
From: Atul Bhouraskar @ 2005-02-16 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'govind raj'; +Cc: 'Linux kernel'

Govind,

Try passing init=/bin/bash (or any other shell you might have installed
on your system) to the kernel. This will give you the opportunity to
investigate your problem further.

Atul

* Re: Customized 2.6.10 kernel on a Compact Flash
@ 2005-02-16 21:47       ` govind raj
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: govind raj @ 2005-02-16 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: roland; +Cc: linux-kernel

Thanks for all the pointers.

We had taken the /sbin/init from the existing Linux installation from where
we had created the customized image. We need to have a inittab and we
believe that we have set it correctly. The GRUB detects the CF hard disk as
hda0 when we boot the embedded board and so in both the kernel parameter in
grub.conf as well as in the inittab file we have / (root) marked as
/dev/hda0. But we are perplexed by the message that the kernel prints out on
being booted from the flash and just before panic'ing...

------------

hda: max request size: 128KiB

hda: 250368 sectors (128 MB) w/2KiB Cache, CHS=978/8/32

hda: hda1

-----------

in which it prints out hda1 instead of it printing it out as hda0

Also, the same customized image is getting successfully booted from the PC
from where we are building this image. This panic comes out only when we
boot this image from the CF on the embedded board.

Regards

Govind

>From: Roland Dreier <roland@topspin.com>
>To: "govind raj" <agovinda04@hotmail.com>
>CC: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
>Subject: Re: Customized 2.6.10 kernel on a Compact Flash
>Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:12:43 -0800
>
>     govind> Thanks for your immediate response. We are just having a
>     govind> single partition (hda0) in Compact Flash. We are using
>     govind> /sbin/init as our init process (We have /linuxrc as a soft
>     govind> link to /sbin/init).
>
>OK, but where do you get your /sbin/init executable from?  Do you have
>your inittab set up correctly (if you need one)?  Can you think of
>some reason why your init process is exiting?
>
>  - Roland
>-
>Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

MSN Spaces! Your space, your time. http://www.msn.co.in/spaces Your personal
haven online.

* Re: Customized 2.6.10 kernel on a Compact Flash
@ 2005-02-16 21:52         ` Roland Dreier
From: Roland Dreier @ 2005-02-16 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: govind raj; +Cc: linux-kernel

    govind> Thanks for all the pointers.  We had taken the /sbin/init
    govind> from the existing Linux installation from where we had
    govind> created the customized image. We need to have a inittab
    govind> and we believe that we have set it correctly. The GRUB
    govind> detects the CF hard disk as hda0 when we boot the embedded
    govind> board and so in both the kernel parameter in grub.conf as
    govind> well as in the inittab file we have / (root) marked as
    govind> /dev/hda0. But we are perplexed by the message that the
    govind> kernel prints out on being booted from the flash and just
    govind> before panic'ing...

Using /dev/hda0 as root seems a little strange to me, as the usual way
of naming partitions starts with 1 (so the first partition would be
/dev/hda1).  However the kernel seems to be finding and starting your
init executable, so that likely isn't your problem.

I would suggest starting by using a statically linked shell as your init
and building up from there.

 - Roland

* Re: Customized 2.6.10 kernel on a Compact Flash
@ 2005-02-16 22:15         ` Rahul Karnik
From: Rahul Karnik @ 2005-02-16 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: govind raj; +Cc: roland, linux-kernel

> The GRUB detects the CF hard disk as
> hda0 when we boot the embedded board and so in both the kernel parameter in
> grub.conf as well as in the inittab file we have / (root) marked as
> /dev/hda0.

Grub and the kernel number things differently. In particular, grub
numbers partitions starting at 0, while the kernel starts at 1. So
while you would use "root (hd0,0" for grub, the kernel commandline
would be "root=/dev/hda1".

Hope this helps,
Rahul

* Re: Customized 2.6.10 kernel on a Compact Flash
@ 2005-02-17 15:03         ` Paulo Marques
From: Paulo Marques @ 2005-02-17 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: govind raj; +Cc: roland, linux-kernel

govind raj wrote:
> Thanks for all the pointers.
>
> We had taken the /sbin/init from the existing Linux installation from
> where we had created the customized image.

Usually distro binaries are dynamically linked (as they should be) so
you also need to provide the libraries they request.

As a first cut, use bash as your init (so that you have a prompt to test
stuff). Do a "ldd bash" to check the libraries necessary for this to
work and create a "/lib" dir on your target system with those. Then copy
the bash binary to /sbin/init.

I hope this helps,

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

* run_init_process problem
@ 2005-02-18  0:58       ` govind raj
From: govind raj @ 2005-02-18  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

We are trying boot compact flash

in the kernel code the run_init_process(char *file_name) trying to executed

but the kernel hanged

regards
govind

Get married the quickest way on BharatMatrimony.com.
http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?74 SMS ur Life Partner