* kdb wishlist
@ 2001-05-08 12:09 Keith Owens
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Keith Owens @ 2001-05-08 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kdb, linux-kernel

This is part of my kdb wishlist, does anybody fancy writing the code to
add any of these features?  It would be a nice project for anybody
wanting to start on the kernel.  Replies to kdb@oss.sgi.com please.
Current patches at http://oss.sgi.com/projects/kdb/download/

* Change kdb invocation key from ^A to ^X^X^X within 3 seconds.  ^A is
  used by emacs, bash, minicom etc.

* Command history.  Handle up/down/left/right/delete keys.  Each
  kdba_io routine is responsible for recognising the arch specific
  keys, with a common history and editting routine.

* Clean up repeating commands.  Pressing enter at the kdb prompt
  repeats the previous command, no matter what the previous command
  was.  Some commands it makes no sense to repeat (bp in particular),
  for other commands you want to repeat the command but without the
  parameter (md in particular).

* Embed width and count options in md and mm commands.  Some hardware
  requires that accesses be a specific width, this can be achieved by
  setting BYTESPERWORD but it is awkward.  We want md1 to read one
  byte, md2, md4, md8 commands.  All can have a count field, e.g.
  md1c8 reads 8 bytes one at a time.  mm1, mm2, mm4, mm8 to set memory
  no count field.

* Re: kdb wishlist
@ 2001-05-08 12:41 ` Tigran Aivazian
From: Tigran Aivazian @ 2001-05-08 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Owens; +Cc: kdb, linux-kernel

Keith,

What would be really great is to add the following item to your wishlist:

* make it possible (it is trivial but a pain to have to do it manually
every time I upgrade to your latest version!) for those extra "modules" to
be statically linked in. So that one doesn't have to keep these lines
in the rc.local

if [ -f /proc/sys/kernel/kdb ]
then
        insmod kdbm_pg > /dev/null 2>&1
        insmod kdbm_vm > /dev/null 2>&1
fi

and then discover that the modules are from the compilation corresponding
to a different tweak in page.h or highmem or whatever (let him who readeth
understand ;)

Long time ago I suggested removing the infrastructure for these "modules"
completely (justification being -- it is not useless _only_ in a very
exotic case of the need to teach kdb new features on a running kernel
without permission to reboot) but you objected and that is fine, but at
least making it optionally possible would be _very nice_, please.

Regards,
Tigran

* Re: kdb wishlist
@ 2001-05-08 15:56 ` george anzinger
From: george anzinger @ 2001-05-08 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Owens; +Cc: kdb, linux-kernel

Keith Owens wrote:

> This is part of my kdb wishlist, does anybody fancy writing the code to
> add any of these features?  It would be a nice project for anybody
> wanting to start on the kernel.  Replies to kdb@oss.sgi.com please.
> Current patches at http://oss.sgi.com/projects/kdb/download/
>
> * Change kdb invocation key from ^A to ^X^X^X within 3 seconds.  ^A is
>   used by emacs, bash, minicom etc.

^X^X swaps point and mark in emacs.  One (well, I) often will do
^X^X^X^X to examine where mark is and then return to point.

George

~snip

* Re: kdb wishlist
@ 2001-05-08 16:57   ` slurn
From: slurn @ 2001-05-08 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: george anzinger; +Cc: Keith Owens, kdb, linux-kernel

> Keith Owens wrote:
> >
> > This is part of my kdb wishlist, does anybody fancy writing the code to
> > add any of these features?  It would be a nice project for anybody
> > wanting to start on the kernel.  Replies to kdb@oss.sgi.com please.
> > Current patches at http://oss.sgi.com/projects/kdb/download/
> >
> > * Change kdb invocation key from ^A to ^X^X^X within 3 seconds.  ^A is
> >   used by emacs, bash, minicom etc.
> >
> ^X^X swaps point and mark in emacs.  One (well, I) often will do
> ^X^X^X^X to examine where mark is and then return to point.

How about using the break condition instead.  This is only for the
serial port, and most terminal emulators (e.g. kermit, minicom) provide
a means to generate a break condition on the serial port.

scott

> George
>
> ~snip

* Re: kdb wishlist
@ 2001-05-08 17:38     ` Juan Quintela
From: Juan Quintela @ 2001-05-08 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: slurn; +Cc: george anzinger, Keith Owens, kdb, linux-kernel

>> Keith Owens wrote:
>> >
>> > This is part of my kdb wishlist, does anybody fancy writing the code to
>> > add any of these features?  It would be a nice project for anybody
>> > wanting to start on the kernel.  Replies to kdb@oss.sgi.com please.
>> > Current patches at http://oss.sgi.com/projects/kdb/download/
>> >
>> > * Change kdb invocation key from ^A to ^X^X^X within 3 seconds.  ^A is
>> >   used by emacs, bash, minicom etc.
>> >
>> ^X^X swaps point and mark in emacs.  One (well, I) often will do
>> ^X^X^X^X to examine where mark is and then return to point.

slurn> How about using the break condition instead.  This is only for the
slurn> serial port, and most terminal emulators (e.g. kermit, minicom) provide
slurn> a means to generate a break condition on the serial port.

kdb uses BREAK in the serial port (that minicom uses C-a for sending a
break is an anecdote :)  But the problem at hang is the console.  I
vote for the ^X^X^X as I a think that it is not a difficult shortcut.
(and yes, I also use emacs and ^X^X all the time, but I think that
this combination is not specially bad, and I suppose that the pet
aplication of other people will have problems with something like:
^A^A^A that I never use).

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy

* Re: kdb wishlist
@ 2001-05-08 18:04       ` slurn
From: slurn @ 2001-05-08 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Quintela; +Cc: slurn, george anzinger, Keith Owens, kdb, linux-kernel

> >> ^X^X swaps point and mark in emacs.  One (well, I) often will do
> >> ^X^X^X^X to examine where mark is and then return to point.
>
> slurn> How about using the break condition instead.  This is only for the
> slurn> serial port, and most terminal emulators (e.g. kermit, minicom) provide
> slurn> a means to generate a break condition on the serial port.
>
> kdb uses BREAK in the serial port (that minicom uses C-a for sending a
> break is an anecdote :)  But the problem at hang is the console.  I
> vote for the ^X^X^X as I a think that it is not a difficult shortcut.
> (and yes, I also use emacs and ^X^X all the time, but I think that
> this combination is not specially bad, and I suppose that the pet
> aplication of other people will have problems with something like:
> ^A^A^A that I never use).
>
> Later, Juan.

Unless something has changed, the console uses the 'pause'
key and the serial port uses ^A (for x86, anyway).

I may be out of date, however.

scott

* Re: kdb wishlist
@ 2001-05-08 18:15 ` mirabilos
From: mirabilos @ 2001-05-08 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Owens, kdb, linux-kernel

> * Change kdb invocation key from ^A to ^X^X^X within 3 seconds.  ^A is
>   used by emacs, bash, minicom etc.

Why not Alt-SysRq-D (like Debug) or so?

> * Command history.  Handle up/down/left/right/delete keys.  Each
>   kdba_io routine is responsible for recognising the arch specific
>   keys, with a common history and editting routine.

yes!

> * Clean up repeating commands.  Pressing enter at the kdb prompt
>   repeats the previous command, no matter what the previous command
>   was.  Some commands it makes no sense to repeat (bp in particular),
>   for other commands you want to repeat the command but without the
>   parameter (md in particular).

Should be configurable. Sometimes I accidentally hit enter or do it
just to do something...

-mirabilos
--
EA F0 FF 00 F0 #$@%CARRIER LOST

* Re: kdb wishlist
@ 2001-05-08 13:36 ` Keith Owens
From: Keith Owens @ 2001-05-08 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manfred Spraul; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 8 May 2001 15:32:47 +0200,
"Manfred Spraul" <manfred@colorfullife.com> wrote:
>One addtional wish list entry:
>
>'ss' and especially 'ssb' could print the new value of the overwritten
>register/memory address in each line, perhaps both the old and new
>value.

I don't need new wishlist entries, I need people to code the existing
requests!  How about code for this request :-)

* Re: kdb wishlist
@ 2001-05-08 13:32 Manfred Spraul
From: Manfred Spraul @ 2001-05-08 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kaos; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2001-05-08 12:40 r1vamsi
From: r1vamsi @ 2001-05-08 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kdb; +Cc: linux-kernel, richardj_moore, hanrahat

Keith,

I have worked on the making md/mm take the width option using BYTESPERWORD.
I will be happy to work on this.

Regards.. Vamsi.

Vamsi Krishna S.
Linux Technology Center,