* 2.4.8-ac7: all serial ports not setup
@ 2001-08-22 16:05 Stephen Torri
From: Stephen Torri @ 2001-08-22 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel

I am using 2.4.8-ac7 on a Dual P3@450Mhz. The machine has two serial
ports. ttyS0 & ttyS2 are covered by the first with ttyS1 & ttyS3 covered
by the second. Now typically in /proc/interrupts only one serial port is
configured. The IRQs 3 & 4 are shared by the two ports. Its not consistent
which one gets which IRQ. Sometimes the first has 3 and the second 4.
Today the situation is reversed. This ofcourse is wreaking havoc on
setting my pilot for synchronization.

Is there a options that I failed to select while configuring the kernel?
Do I need to add an option to the boot via lilo?

I will do an idiot check by checking the bios.

Stephen

* Re: 2.4.8-ac7: all serial ports not setup
@ 2001-08-22 20:42 ` Richard B. Johnson
From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2001-08-22 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Torri; +Cc: Linux Kernel

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Stephen Torri wrote:

> I am using 2.4.8-ac7 on a Dual P3@450Mhz. The machine has two serial
> ports. ttyS0 & ttyS2 are covered by the first with ttyS1 & ttyS3 covered
> by the second. Now typically in /proc/interrupts only one serial port is
> configured. The IRQs 3 & 4 are shared by the two ports. Its not consistent
> which one gets which IRQ. Sometimes the first has 3 and the second 4.
> Today the situation is reversed. This ofcourse is wreaking havoc on
> setting my pilot for synchronization.
>
> Is there a options that I failed to select while configuring the kernel?
> Do I need to add an option to the boot via lilo?
>
> I will do an idiot check by checking the bios.
>
> Stephen
>
> -

Don't know about 'modern' distributions, but serial ports are normally
set up only when they are used. `man setserial`. In the 2.x.x kernels,
the IRQs are assigned only when a device is opened. The IRQs are
released when the device is closed.

Why would you care what IRQ is being used for serial I/O? The API doesn't
even know. What do you mean by; "setting my pilot for synchronization"?

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

    was handled in the BIOS, I found that there aren't any.

* Re: 2.4.8-ac7: all serial ports not setup
@ 2001-08-23  7:50 ` Frank Torres
From: Frank Torres @ 2001-08-23  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Torri; +Cc: Linux-Kernel (Lista Correo)