* I cannot stop execution by using "ctrl+c"
@ 2004-11-23 11:23 colin
From: colin @ 2004-11-23 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all,
When using gdb to debug Linux kernel, I found that it cannot be stopped
temporarily by using "ctrl+c".
After the first strike of "ctrl+c", nothing happen.
After the second, Linux kernel will show these messages:
    Interrupted while waiting for the program.
    Give up (and stop debugging it)? (y or n)
If choose yes, kernel will totally stop and it goes back to gdb shell.
How can I stop kernel temporarily and then resume it?

Thanks and regards,
Colin

* Re: I cannot stop execution by using "ctrl+c"
@ 2004-11-23 14:02 ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2004-11-23 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: colin; +Cc: linux-kernel

>Hi all,
>When using gdb to debug Linux kernel, I found that it cannot be stopped
>temporarily by using "ctrl+c".
>After the first strike of "ctrl+c", nothing happen.
>After the second, Linux kernel will show these messages:
>    Interrupted while waiting for the program.
>    Give up (and stop debugging it)? (y or n)
>If choose yes, kernel will totally stop and it goes back to gdb shell.
>How can I stop kernel temporarily and then resume it?

Since when does GDB *run* the kernel, if, well, the Kernel runs itself?

Jan Engelhardt
--
Gesellschaft f羹r Wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung
Am Fassberg, 37077 G繹ttingen, www.gwdg.de

* Re: I cannot stop execution by using "ctrl+c"
@ 2004-11-23 23:07 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2004-11-23 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: colin; +Cc: linux-kernel

"colin" <colin@realtek.com.tw> wrote:

> When using gdb to debug Linux kernel, I found that it cannot be stopped
> temporarily by using "ctrl+c".
> After the first strike of "ctrl+c", nothing happen.
> After the second, Linux kernel will show these messages:
>     Interrupted while waiting for the program.
>     Give up (and stop debugging it)? (y or n)
> If choose yes, kernel will totally stop and it goes back to gdb shell.
> How can I stop kernel temporarily and then resume it?

This means that the kgdb stub is no longer intercepting the serial
interrupts.  This tends to happen when someone makes changes to the serial
layer and the kgdb patch isn't updated to reflect those changes.

You failed to mention the kernel version.  The kgdb stub in 2.6.10-rc2-mm3
should work OK.

Sometimes, disabling the serial drivers in .config will help.

* Re: I cannot stop execution by using "ctrl+c"
@ 2004-11-29  6:25   ` colin
From: colin @ 2004-11-29  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi Andrew,
I had tried to disable serial drivers and it still didn't work.

The platform is the malta board with MIPS CPU.
I also tried to use newer kernel 2.6.10-rc2-mipscvs and the problem still
exists.

Thanks and regards,
Colin