* Unresolved symbols in 2.4.6
@ 2001-07-08  7:46 Jahn Veach - Veachian64
From: Jahn Veach - Veachian64 @ 2001-07-08  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I apologize in advance for bringing up a recently discussed problem and
being slightly off-topic, but I've been having problems similar to those in
"Unresolved symbols since 2.4.5 ?" from July 5.

I'm also running a Debian 2.2r3 box with kernel 2.2.17 and I've been having
trouble running 2.4.6 due to unresolved symbols in my modules brought up by
make modules_install. I had the latest version of modutils installed from
Adrian Bunk's Debian packages, which was the recommended fix in "Unresolved
symbols since 2.4.5 ?", but that didn't fix anything.

I tried compiling the kernel with gcc 2.95.2 and egcs-1.1.2 and I still get
the unresolved symbols. I used the Debian make-kpkg tool to make a kernel
image and I went through the process manually, but still I get the errors.

The output of depmod -e -a 2.4.6 can be found at
http://galaxy42.com/data/moderr.txt. I also have the recommended versions of
all software in linux/Documentation/Changes. To make things even more
puzzling, I have an almost identical box set up and it compiles just fine.

Does anyone know of anything that could possibly be causing this? Any help
is appreciated. If you have anything, please Cc: V64@Galaxy42.com. Thanks in
advance.

------
Jahn Veach - Veachian64 <V64@Galaxy42.com>
http://Galaxy42.com/

Well, let's just say, if your VCR is still blinking 12:00, you don't want
Linux.
--Bruce Perens

* Re: Unresolved symbols in 2.4.6
@ 2001-07-08  8:23 ` Keith Owens
From: Keith Owens @ 2001-07-08  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jahn Veach - Veachian64; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 02:46:46 -0500,
"Jahn Veach - Veachian64" <V64@Galaxy42.com> wrote:
>The output of depmod -e -a 2.4.6 can be found at
>http://galaxy42.com/data/moderr.txt.

What does 'grep printk /proc/ksyms' report on the 2.4.6 kernel?  Also
'nm vmlinux | grep printk' against the vmlinux for your 2.4.6 kernel?

* Re: Unresolved symbols in 2.4.6
@ 2001-07-08 14:20   ` Jahn Veach - Veachian64
From: Jahn Veach - Veachian64 @ 2001-07-08 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Owens; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 03:23:17 -0600,
"Keith Owens" <kaos@ocs.com.au> wrote:
>What does 'grep printk /proc/ksyms' report on the 2.4.6 kernel?  Also
>'nm vmlinux | grep printk' against the vmlinux for your 2.4.6 kernel?

My 2.4.6 kernel can't boot because it panics when it goes to mount the root
filesystem. An nm on the kernel returns 'File format not recognized'. It
also returns this error when done on my 2.2.17 kernel, which runs just fine.

* Re: Unresolved symbols in 2.4.6
@ 2001-07-08 22:51     ` Keith Owens
From: Keith Owens @ 2001-07-08 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jahn Veach - Veachian64; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 09:20:46 -0500,
"Jahn Veach - Veachian64" <V64@Galaxy42.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 03:23:17 -0600,
>"Keith Owens" <kaos@ocs.com.au> wrote:
>>What does 'grep printk /proc/ksyms' report on the 2.4.6 kernel?  Also
>>'nm vmlinux | grep printk' against the vmlinux for your 2.4.6 kernel?
>
>My 2.4.6 kernel can't boot because it panics when it goes to mount the root
>filesystem. An nm on the kernel returns 'File format not recognized'. It
>also returns this error when done on my 2.2.17 kernel, which runs just fine.

You do nm on vmlinux, not vmlinuz.  vmlinux is in the top level
directory of the kernel source tree after the build.

* Re: Unresolved symbols in 2.4.6
@ 2001-07-08 23:52       ` Jahn Veach - Veachian64
From: Jahn Veach - Veachian64 @ 2001-07-08 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Owens; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 05:51:42 -0600,
"Keith Owens" <kaos@ocs.com.au> wrote:
> You do nm on vmlinux, not vmlinuz.  vmlinux is in the top level
> directory of the kernel source tree after the build.

nm vmlinux | grep printk

c024f44e ? __kstrtab_printk
c0254870 ? __ksymtab_printk
c0113494 T printk
c017c6ec t printk_pnp_dev_id

* Re: Unresolved symbols in 2.4.6
@ 2001-07-09  0:37         ` Keith Owens
From: Keith Owens @ 2001-07-09  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jahn Veach - Veachian64; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 18:52:28 -0500,
"Jahn Veach - Veachian64" <V64@Galaxy42.com> wrote:
>nm vmlinux | grep printk
>
>c024f44e ? __kstrtab_printk
>c0254870 ? __ksymtab_printk
>c0113494 T printk
>c017c6ec t printk_pnp_dev_id

That looks OK.  Just to confirm, when you did depmod -ae, did you
include -F pointing at the 2.4.6 System.map?  If you omitted -F then it
used /proc/ksyms on your current kernel, I suspect that this is your
problem.  The command should be depmod -ae -F 2.4.6/System.map 2.4.6.
You should not need to issue that command by hand, make modules_install
does it automatically.

As for why you panic when you try to mount the root file system, you
have your SCSI driver and ide-disk as modules, not built into the
kernel.  If the code to find and mount your root file system is in
modules then you must use initrd, see the kernel howto.  Unless you
have a *very* good reason to use initrd - don't.  Build the root
drivers into the kenrel instead.

* Re: Unresolved symbols in 2.4.6
@ 2001-07-09  1:46           ` Jahn Veach - Veachian64
From: Jahn Veach - Veachian64 @ 2001-07-09  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Owens; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 07:37:09 -0600,
"Keith Owens" <kaos@ocs.com.au> wrote:
> That looks OK.  Just to confirm, when you did depmod -ae, did you
> include -F pointing at the 2.4.6 System.map?  If you omitted -F then it
> used /proc/ksyms on your current kernel, I suspect that this is your
> problem.  The command should be depmod -ae -F 2.4.6/System.map 2.4.6.
> You should not need to issue that command by hand, make modules_install
> does it automatically.
>
> As for why you panic when you try to mount the root file system, you
> have your SCSI driver and ide-disk as modules, not built into the
> kernel.  If the code to find and mount your root file system is in
> modules then you must use initrd, see the kernel howto.  Unless you
> have a *very* good reason to use initrd - don't.  Build the root
> drivers into the kenrel instead.

Indeed, I left out the -F. I included the necessary modules into the kernel
and successfully booted into 2.4.6. depmod -ae -F 2.4.6/System.map 2.4.6
checked out just fine and my system is now successfully running kernel
2.4.6. Thanks for all your help.