* Re: change strip_cache_size freeze the whole raid
       [not found] <001801c73e14$c3177170$28df0f3d@kylecea1512a3f>
@ 2007-01-22 12:18 ` Justin Piszcz
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2007-01-22 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kyle; +Cc: linux-raid, linux-kernel

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, kyle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I tried to increase the value of strip_cache_size to see if I can
> get better performance or not. I increase the value from 2048 to something
> like 16384. After I did that, the raid5 freeze. Any proccess read / write to
> it stucked at D state. I tried to change it back to 2048, read
> strip_cache_active, cat /proc/mdstat, mdadm stop, etc. All didn't return back.
> I even cannot shutdown the machine. Finally I need to press the reset button
> in order to get back my control.
>
> Kernel is 2.6.17.8 x86-64, running at AMD Athlon3000+, 2GB Ram, 8 x Seagate
> 8200.10 250GB HDD, nvidia chipset.
>
> cat /proc/mdstat (after reboot):
> Personalities : [raid1] [raid5] [raid4]
> md1 : active raid1 hdc2[1] hda2[0]
>      6144768 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> md2 : active raid5 sdf1[7] sde1[6] sdd1[5] sdc1[4] sdb1[3] sda1[2] hdc4[1]
> hda4[0]
>      1664893440 blocks level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [8/8] [UUUUUUUU]
>
> md0 : active raid1 hdc1[1] hda1[0]
>      104320 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> Kyle
>
> -

Yes, I noticed this bug too, if you change it too many times or change it
at the 'wrong' time, it hangs up when you echo numbr >
/proc/stripe_cache_size.

Basically don't run it more than once and don't run it at the 'wrong' time
and it works.  Not sure where the bug lies, but yeah I've seen that on 3
different machines!

Justin.

* Re: change strip_cache_size freeze the whole raid
@ 2007-01-22 13:09   ` kyle
From: kyle @ 2007-01-22 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Piszcz; +Cc: linux-raid, linux-kernel

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, kyle wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yesterday I tried to increase the value of strip_cache_size to see if I
>> can
>> get better performance or not. I increase the value from 2048 to
>> something
>> like 16384. After I did that, the raid5 freeze. Any proccess read / write
>> it stucked at D state. I tried to change it back to 2048, read
>> strip_cache_active, cat /proc/mdstat, mdadm stop, etc. All didn't return
>> back.
>> I even cannot shutdown the machine. Finally I need to press the reset
>> button
>> in order to get back my control.

> Yes, I noticed this bug too, if you change it too many times or change it
> at the 'wrong' time, it hangs up when you echo numbr >
> /proc/stripe_cache_size.
>
> Basically don't run it more than once and don't run it at the 'wrong' time
> and it works.  Not sure where the bug lies, but yeah I've seen that on 3
> different machines!
>
> Justin.

I just change it once, then it freeze. It's hard to get the 'right time'

Actually I tried it several times before. As I remember there was once it
freezed for around 1 or 2 minutes , then back to normal operation. This is
the first time it completely freezed and I waited after around 10 minutes it
still didn't wake up.

Kyle

* Re: change strip_cache_size freeze the whole raid
@ 2007-01-22 14:56     ` Justin Piszcz
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2007-01-22 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kyle; +Cc: linux-raid, linux-kernel

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, kyle wrote:

> > On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, kyle wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Yesterday I tried to increase the value of strip_cache_size to see if I
> > > can
> > > get better performance or not. I increase the value from 2048 to something
> > > like 16384. After I did that, the raid5 freeze. Any proccess read / write
> > > it stucked at D state. I tried to change it back to 2048, read
> > > strip_cache_active, cat /proc/mdstat, mdadm stop, etc. All didn't return
> > > back.
> > > I even cannot shutdown the machine. Finally I need to press the reset
> > > button
> > > in order to get back my control.
>
> > Yes, I noticed this bug too, if you change it too many times or change it
> > at the 'wrong' time, it hangs up when you echo numbr >
> > /proc/stripe_cache_size.
> >
> > Basically don't run it more than once and don't run it at the 'wrong' time
> > and it works.  Not sure where the bug lies, but yeah I've seen that on 3
> > different machines!
> >
> > Justin.
> >

> I just change it once, then it freeze. It's hard to get the 'right time'
>
> Actually I tried it several times before. As I remember there was once it
> freezed for around 1 or 2 minutes , then back to normal operation. This is the
> first time it completely freezed and I waited after around 10 minutes it still
> didn't wake up.
>
> Kyle
>
> -

What kernel version are you using?  It normally works the first time for
me, I put it in my startup scripts, as one of the last items.  However, if
I change it a few times, it will hang and there is no way to reboot except
via SYSRQ or pressing the reboot button on the machine.

This seems to be true of 2.6.19.1 and 2.6.19.2, I did not try under
2.6.20-rc5 because I am tired of hanging my machine :)

Justin.

* Re: change strip_cache_size freeze the whole raid
@ 2007-01-22 14:57   ` Steve Cousins
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Steve Cousins @ 2007-01-22 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Piszcz; +Cc: kyle, linux-raid, linux-kernel

Justin Piszcz wrote:
> Yes, I noticed this bug too, if you change it too many times or change it
> at the 'wrong' time, it hangs up when you echo numbr >
> /proc/stripe_cache_size.
>
> Basically don't run it more than once and don't run it at the 'wrong' time
> and it works.  Not sure where the bug lies, but yeah I've seen that on 3
> different machines!

Can you tell us when the "right" time is or maybe what the "wrong" time
is?  Also, is this kernel specific?  Does it (increasing
stripe_cache_size) work with RAID6 too?

Thanks,

Steve
  Steve Cousins, Ocean Modeling Group    Email: cousins@umit.maine.edu
  Marine Sciences, 452 Aubert Hall       http://rocky.umeoce.maine.edu
  Univ. of Maine, Orono, ME 04469        Phone: (207) 581-4302

* Re: change strip_cache_size freeze the whole raid
@ 2007-01-22 15:01     ` Justin Piszcz
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2007-01-22 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Cousins; +Cc: kyle, linux-raid, linux-kernel

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Steve Cousins wrote:

> Justin Piszcz wrote:
> > Yes, I noticed this bug too, if you change it too many times or change it at
> > the 'wrong' time, it hangs up when you echo numbr > /proc/stripe_cache_size.
> >
> > Basically don't run it more than once and don't run it at the 'wrong' time
> > and it works.  Not sure where the bug lies, but yeah I've seen that on 3
> > different machines!
>
> Can you tell us when the "right" time is or maybe what the "wrong" time is?
> Also, is this kernel specific?  Does it (increasing stripe_cache_size) work
> with RAID6 too?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve
>  Steve Cousins, Ocean Modeling Group    Email: cousins@umit.maine.edu
>  Marine Sciences, 452 Aubert Hall       http://rocky.umeoce.maine.edu
>  Univ. of Maine, Orono, ME 04469        Phone: (207) 581-4302

The wrong time (for me anyway) is when/or around the time in which kernel
is auto-detecting arrays/udev starts, when I put it there I get OOPSES all
over the screen and it gets really nasty.  Basically the best time appears
to be right after the system has started up but I/O hasn't started hitting
the array yet.  Tricky, I know.

Justin.

* Re: change strip_cache_size freeze the whole raid
@ 2007-01-22 15:10     ` Justin Piszcz
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2007-01-22 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Cousins; +Cc: kyle, linux-raid, linux-kernel

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Steve Cousins wrote:

> Justin Piszcz wrote:
> > Yes, I noticed this bug too, if you change it too many times or change it at
> > the 'wrong' time, it hangs up when you echo numbr > /proc/stripe_cache_size.
> >
> > Basically don't run it more than once and don't run it at the 'wrong' time
> > and it works.  Not sure where the bug lies, but yeah I've seen that on 3
> > different machines!
>
> Can you tell us when the "right" time is or maybe what the "wrong" time is?
> Also, is this kernel specific?  Does it (increasing stripe_cache_size) work
> with RAID6 too?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Also, I have not tested the stripe_cache_size under RAID6, I am unsure.

Justin.

* Re: change strip_cache_size freeze the whole raid
@ 2007-01-22 15:13     ` kyle
From: kyle @ 2007-01-22 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Cousins, Justin Piszcz; +Cc: linux-raid, linux-kernel

> Justin Piszcz wrote:
>> Yes, I noticed this bug too, if you change it too many times or change it
>> at the 'wrong' time, it hangs up when you echo numbr >
>> /proc/stripe_cache_size.
>>
>> Basically don't run it more than once and don't run it at the 'wrong'
>> time and it works.  Not sure where the bug lies, but yeah I've seen that
>> on 3 different machines!
>
> Can you tell us when the "right" time is or maybe what the "wrong" time
> is?  Also, is this kernel specific?  Does it (increasing
> stripe_cache_size) work with RAID6 too?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

I think if your /sys/block/md_your_raid6/md/ have a file
"stripe_cache_size", then it should works with raid6 too.

Kyle

* Re: change strip_cache_size freeze the whole raid
@ 2007-01-22 15:18       ` kyle
From: kyle @ 2007-01-22 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Piszcz; +Cc: linux-raid, linux-kernel

>> > Yes, I noticed this bug too, if you change it too many times or change
>> > it
>> > at the 'wrong' time, it hangs up when you echo numbr >
>> > /proc/stripe_cache_size.
>> >
>> > Basically don't run it more than once and don't run it at the 'wrong'
>> > time
>> > and it works.  Not sure where the bug lies, but yeah I've seen that on
>> > 3
>> > different machines!
>> >
>> > Justin.
>> >

>> I just change it once, then it freeze. It's hard to get the 'right time'
>>
>> Actually I tried it several times before. As I remember there was once it
>> freezed for around 1 or 2 minutes , then back to normal operation. This
>> is the
>> first time it completely freezed and I waited after around 10 minutes it
>> still
>> didn't wake up.
>>
>> Kyle
>>
>> -
>> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-raid" in
>>

> What kernel version are you using?  It normally works the first time for
> me, I put it in my startup scripts, as one of the last items.  However, if
> I change it a few times, it will hang and there is no way to reboot except
> via SYSRQ or pressing the reboot button on the machine.
>
> This seems to be true of 2.6.19.1 and 2.6.19.2, I did not try under
> 2.6.20-rc5 because I am tired of hanging my machine :)
>
> Justin.

It was 2.6.17.8. Now it's 2.6.7.13 but I won't touch it now! It's around
15km from me!

* Re: change strip_cache_size freeze the whole raid
@ 2007-01-22 16:10   ` Liang Yang
From: Liang Yang @ 2007-01-22 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Piszcz, kyle; +Cc: linux-raid, linux-kernel

Do we need to consider the chunk size when we adjust the value of
Striped_Cache_Szie for the MD-RAID5 array?

Liang

@ 2007-01-23 14:22       ` kyle
From: kyle @ 2007-01-23 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Piszcz, Steve Cousins; +Cc: linux-raid, linux-kernel