* Re: [Q] How can I transfer data from hard disk to PCI device'smemory
@ 2003-08-08  2:53 Cho, joon-woo
From: Cho, joon-woo @ 2003-08-08  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Not to PCI device's register, but to PCI device's SDRAM memory.

In detail after I modify kernel, I want to transfer data

from HDD controller's data register (IDE controller case)

to another PCI's SDRAM memory with the help of kernel

( I think Direct I/O(using O_DIRECT flag) )

Is this impossible?

From: Cho, joon-woo @ 2003-08-07  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello.

I want to transfer data 'directly' from hard disk to some PCI device which
has memory

with the helpf of kernel(file system, device driver).

In above sentence 'directly' means that data does not go through main memory
of host.

So I am analyzing kernel code, but I am so confused because of memory system

complexity (page, buffer, ... ).

I find buffer head structure(struct buffer_head) has b_data pointer
variable.

I think kernel transfer data from HDD to this pointer variable.

Can I map this pointer variable(b_data) to PCI device's memory?

I am very confused because this part is highly related with complex memory
system

(page & buffer).

Please give me some hint. Thanks.