* Files missing from filesystem?  (2.4.9)
@ 2001-08-27 21:52 Mark Cuss
From: Mark Cuss @ 2001-08-27 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello all

I just upgraded the kernel on our server to 2.4.9 last friday.  We made some
changes to some script files that night, and discovered that the changes
were gone this morning.  A check of the backup tape that ran friday night
verifies that the changes were made, and a poll around the office yields
that noone changed them....

I had a dig through the kernel log and turned up the following message:

Aug 26 03:02:37 chaos kernel: (scsi0:A:0:0): Locking max tag count at 64

Does this have anything to do with it?  It seemed wierd to me - I had never
seen it before.  If anyone can enlighten me as
to what it means I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Cuss, B. Sc.
Junior Real Time Systems Analyst
CDL Systems Ltd
3553 - 31 Street NW
Calgary, Alberta
(403) 289-1733 ext 226
mcuss@cdlsystems.com

* Re: Files missing from filesystem?  (2.4.9)
       [not found] <XFMail.20010828080242.peterw@dascom.com.au>
@ 2001-08-27 22:12 ` Mark Cuss
From: Mark Cuss @ 2001-08-27 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peterw; +Cc: Linux Kernel

> The most likely cause (i.e. it's happened to me) is that bdflush had
stopped
> working.
> Thats the process responsible for making sure changes to files are
actually
> comitted to disk.
>
> Check the logs again and search for bdflush.

I looked through all the /var/log/messages files (actually all the files in
/var/log) and can't spot any bdflush entries.
This does however sound like it may be the suspect....  The machine has not
been down since these changes were made, so I figured that they would
"eventually" make their way to disk...  Perhaps I'm wrong.

Any other Ideas ?  :)

Thanks,
Mark