* swapping problem on kernel >= 2.4.14
@ 2001-12-13  9:48 Caleb Moore
From: Caleb Moore @ 2001-12-13  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have tried to change to kernel 2.4.16 from 2.4.13 and my system crashes
every time it starts using swap. This is the case down to 2.4.14 even when
it is built using default options. My system is a AMD duron with 128MB of
RAM and two swap partitions both 128MB on my non boot hard drive.

could someone please fix this

thanks

* Re: swapping problem on kernel >= 2.4.14
@ 2001-12-13 14:06 ` vda
From: vda @ 2001-12-13 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caleb Moore, linux-kernel

On Thursday 13 December 2001 07:48, Caleb Moore wrote:
> I have tried to change to kernel 2.4.16 from 2.4.13 and my system crashes
> every time it starts using swap. This is the case down to 2.4.14 even when
> it is built using default options. My system is a AMD duron with 128MB of
> RAM and two swap partitions both 128MB on my non boot hard drive.
>
> could someone please fix this

You can significantly raise probability of this being fixed with some
investigation: does it crash with one swap partition? without swap partitions?
with swap file? does it produce an oops? etc
--
vda

* Re: swapping problem on kernel >= 2.4.14
@ 2001-12-15  3:28   ` Caleb Moore
From: Caleb Moore @ 2001-12-15  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vda, linux-kernel; +Cc: Caleb Moore, linux-kernel

> > I have tried to change to kernel 2.4.16 from 2.4.13 and my system
> > crashes

> You can significantly raise probability of this being fixed with some
> investigation: does it crash with one swap partition? without swap
> partitions?
> with swap file? does it produce an oops? etc
> --
> vda

Ok I checked my system with one swap partition, no swap partitions and a
swap file. One partition resulted in a crash but after a longer duration
(two or three times as long. I cannot understand this). A swap file acted
in a similar way to the single swap. After removing all swap the system
was as stable as linux is rightly reputed to be.

The kernel does produce an oops when i crash it but for some reason the
screen blacks out a few minutes later and i am unnable to finish recording
the sym-debug stuff and cannot get useful information from it. It is not
logged by klogd and I don't get much further then the registers. The
message It gives me is unnable to handle kernel paging request at virtual
address 00015e00 although of course this adress changes.

Is there anything else I can do?

* Re: swapping problem on kernel >= 2.4.14
@ 2001-12-17  0:02     ` vda
From: vda @ 2001-12-17  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caleb Moore; +Cc: linux-kernel