* AMD thunderbird oops
@ 2001-06-25  3:17 joeja
From: joeja @ 2001-06-25  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I just upgradede my system to an 1200Mhz AMD Athlon Thundirbird (266Mhz FSB) processor  / 512Meg of RAM, and an Asus kt7a motherboard.

It is oppsing left and right.  I recompiled the kernel with Athelon as the CPU but keep getting these oopses..

I also get these same problems while trying to install RH 7.1

Anyone know is this a supported processor / MB and has anyone had these problems?

Joe please cc me as I am not on this list.

* Re: Re: AMD thunderbird oops
@ 2001-06-25 16:24 joeja
From: joeja @ 2001-06-25 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

Thanks,
    I have a heat sink and it is huge about 2 inches, plus fan. Plus another 4" fan in the case. (real nice case).

    I think it is the memory, as yesterday my gcc was bombing with 'internel compiler error', which is usually a good mem tester.  So I started setting mem=64m and things worked better and the install went all the way through.  I think I need to slow my drams down a bit or add some delay in the bios settings.

   The oops says something like 'kernel null pointer at address 0x000000'.  How do I 'catch' the output of an oops when the filesystem goes and I get ext2fs errors and am forced to reboot and manually run e2fsck?

    Lastly with the mem=64M or mem=128M when I do a make dep, I get an error message that says Error 'missing seperator'.  What does that mean?  It stops in the drivers/net dir when I get this message?

Thanks
Joe

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> > I just upgradede my system to an 1200Mhz AMD Athlon Thundirbird (266Mhz FSB) processor  / 512Meg of RAM, and an Asus kt7a motherboard.  >
> It is oppsing left and right.  I recompiled the kernel with Athelon as the CPU but keep getting these oopses..
>
> I also get these same problems while trying to install RH 7.1
>
> Anyone know is this a supported processor / MB and has anyone had these problems?

Random oopses normally indicate faulty board cpu or ram (and the fault may
even just be overheating or dimms not in the sockets cleanly). I doubt its
the board design or model that is the problem, you probably jut have a faulty
component somewhere if its oopsing randomly even during installs and stuff

memtest86, and heatsink compound may be your best friends

* Re: AMD thunderbird oops
@ 2001-06-26  8:26 Thomas Foerster
From: Thomas Foerster @ 2001-06-26  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

> as i've said before - i have the same problem too

Me too

> the memory is OK! - have run memtest86 for hours ... - no errors ... -
> heatsink - CPU@45°C - Case @ 25°C

> after changing the kernel compile to PentiumII (nearly) everything worked
> fine ....

I HAD a Asus K7M with a 650 MHz Athlon, 256 MB RAM (Infineon, Ram is OK).
Using 2.4.2 AND 2.4.4 didn't work.
Whenever i started KDE2, the crashes startet, even oopses in ext2-code appeared.

The strange thing is : If i startet KDE2 as root, the crashes didn't happen!

I don't know why, my distribution is RedHat 7.1

Now i have a Epox 8kta3+ with an 1,333 MHz Athlon, FSB266, 256 MB RAM (Infineon)
and the crashes still appear.

Changing the Kernel from Athlon to Pentium-II/III makes the system stable again.

Thomas

* Re: AMD thunderbird oops
@ 2001-06-26 13:22 Thomas Foerster
From: Thomas Foerster @ 2001-06-26 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

> I went trought 8 Athlon, (latest 1300 Mhz 200Mhz FSB).

> Usually those stability problems are related to power supply (it should
> be at less 300 Watt).
> If the power supply does not give enought Ampere, and the energy
> is fluttuant, the Athlon cpu really suffers.

I have a 400 Watt power supply.
With 2.2.x Kernel my System runs stable, but when i'm using whatever 2.4.x kernel i like,
i get the oopses and processcrashes (but only when i'm NOT root!)

Thomas

* Re: AMD thunderbird oops
@ 2001-06-26 14:06 Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2001-06-26 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joeja, linux-kernel

I get oopses too when I use kernels compiled for athlon on my redhat
7.1, athlon 850 system.  runs rock solid when I compile for i686.  I
assumed the athlon optimizations in the kernel were broken, or gcc's
athlon optimization was, as I seem to recall some discussion of this a
while back on the LKML.

athlon 850 (200 FSB)
512 MB RAM
IWILL KK266

Alex

----------------------------

I just upgradede my system to an 1200Mhz AMD Athlon Thundirbird (266Mhz
FSB) processor / 512Meg of RAM, and an
Asus kt7a motherboard.

It is oppsing left and right. I recompiled the kernel with Athelon as
the CPU but keep getting these oopses..

I also get these same problems while trying to install RH 7.1

Anyone know is this a supported processor / MB and has anyone had these
problems?

Joe please cc me as I am not on this list.
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
in

* Re: Re: AMD thunderbird oops
@ 2001-06-27 20:06 joeja
From: joeja @ 2001-06-27 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Jones; +Cc: Alan Cox, Alex Deucher, linux-kernel

Well considering the other night the power supply went dead, I think that is part of the problem.  It is brand new, and I am being sent another one (free of course).

I also had my mb loaded at the time (scsi cd-rw, cdrom, internal zip, floppy, 1 hd, Sound card, video, modem, NIC, scsi card) but my last tyan was fine with that load it may be a kt7a thing.

Several people said that random (keyword here) oopses are more often a hardware thing.  I wonder if the kt7a is going to be able to perform  fully loaded..

is anyone running one fully loaded? 4 ide drives, 2 floppy, (5 pci and 1 isa) or 6pci, agp, 512MEG+ RAM?

Joe

Dave Jones <davej@suse.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
> My current speculation is that the sdram setup on some of these boards can't
> actually take the full CPU spec caused by these hand tuned routines. There is
> some evidence to support that as several other boards only work with Athlon
> optimisation if you set the BIOS options to 'conservative' not 'optimised'

Interesting, and plausable theory. It would be more interesting to see
register dumps of the memory timing registers on both good and bad
systems, to see if this is the case.

Unfortunatly afair the register level specs of all the affected chipsets
are not available.

regards,

Dave.