* [BUG] jfs: possible uninitialized-variable access in xtSplitUp()
@ 2021-07-31  6:31 Li Tuo
From: Li Tuo @ 2021-07-31  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shaggy; +Cc: jfs-discussion, linux-kernel, baijiaju1990

Hello,

Our static analysis tool finds a possible uninitialized-variable access
in the jfs driver in Linux 5.14.0-rc3:

At the beginning of the function xtSplitUp(), the variable rbn is not
initialized.
If sp->header.flag & BT_ROOT is true,
780:    rc = (sp->header.flag & BT_ROOT) ? xtSplitRoot(tid, ip, split,
&rmp) : xtSplitPage(tid, ip, split, &rmp, &rbn);

the varialbe rbn will remain uninitialized.
However, it is accessed through:
814:    rcbn = rbn;

I am not quite sure whether this possible uninitialized-variable access
is real and how to fix it if it is real.
Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

Reported-by: TOTE Robot <oslab@tsinghua.edu.cn>

Best wishes,
Tuo Li

* Re: [BUG] jfs: possible uninitialized-variable access in xtSplitUp()
@ 2021-08-02 19:04 ` Dave Kleikamp
From: Dave Kleikamp @ 2021-08-02 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li Tuo; +Cc: jfs-discussion, linux-kernel, baijiaju1990

On 7/31/21 1:31 AM, Li Tuo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our static analysis tool finds a possible uninitialized-variable access
> in the jfs driver in Linux 5.14.0-rc3:
>
> At the beginning of the function xtSplitUp(), the variable rbn is not
> initialized.
> If sp->header.flag & BT_ROOT is true,
> 780:    rc = (sp->header.flag & BT_ROOT) ? xtSplitRoot(tid, ip, split,
> &rmp) : xtSplitPage(tid, ip, split, &rmp, &rbn);
>
> the varialbe rbn will remain uninitialized.
> However, it is accessed through:
> 814:    rcbn = rbn;
>
> I am not quite sure whether this possible uninitialized-variable access
> is real and how to fix it if it is real.
> Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

I think the logic that protects us is that in the case where rbn is
uninitialized, sp->header.flag & BT_ROOT, which means it SHOULD BE the
last entry in btstack, so we shouldn't enter the loop:
	while ((parent = BT_POP(btstack)) != NULL) {

It does seem that some type of sanity check is warranted. I'll take a
closer look and see if I can add some kind of error path if things are
out of sync.

@ 2021-08-03  2:46   ` Li Tuo
From: Li Tuo @ 2021-08-03  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Kleikamp; +Cc: jfs-discussion, linux-kernel, baijiaju1990

Thanks for your feedback, and any feedback about the further check would
be appreciated!

Best wishes,
Tuo Li