* Re: kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the 2.5 kernel - take 3
@ 2002-05-17 22:59 Wayne.Brown
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2002-05-17 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have nothing against it being faster -- *as long as nothing about the way I
use it changes.*  Most of my kernel upgrades are done while I'm at work,
programming, doing Solaris system admin, sitting in meetings, making phone
calls, or any of the other things my employer is paying me to do.  I have a cron
job that checks kernel.org periodically and pops up a message on my screen when
a new kernel patchset appears there.  When that happens, I quickly switch to
another virtual console, ftp the patch, and then:

zcat patch-X.Y.Z.gz | patch -p1 -s -E
mv .config ..
make mrproper
mv ../.config .
make oldconfig
make dep && make bzlilo modules modules_install

Then I go back to work.  When the compile finishes I stop long enough to reboot,
then start working again, and unless there's a problem, don't give another
thought to it until the next patchset is ready.

I have all this down to a science.  All these commands are in my bash command
history so I can pull them up with a couple of keystrokes.  I've done them all
so many times that I can type them from scratch almost without thinking about
them.  I've gone through this whole process while in the midst of business
conversations without anyone even noticing that I'm doing it.  (Of course, if
there are compile errors it's another story, and I have to deal with those
later, but often I can go through several upgrades in a row without any errors.)
Anything that changes this process -- new commands, new syntax, whatever --
takes extra time and disrupts whatever else I'm doing.

Different people have different needs.  I don't care how many new bells and
whistles the developers add for their own use, but it would be nice if those of
us who just want to apply patches and recompile with a minimum of fuss could
keep our old user interfaces.

Nicolas Pitre <nico@cam.org> on 05/17/2002 05:09:20 PM

To:   Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec@Altec
cc:   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org

Subject:  Re: kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the 2.5 kernel - take 3

But even if you recompile *everything* _everytime_, kbuild 2.5 is "faster".

What do you have against that?

Nicolas

-

* Re: kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the 2.5 kernel - take 3
@ 2002-05-19 10:26 Mike Galbraith
From: Mike Galbraith @ 2002-05-19 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wayne.Brown; +Cc: linux-kernel

>Why?  Because I didn't mention who said it?  OK, it was Giacomo Catenazzi.  You
>can read the original article yourself at
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=100748835520343&w=2 if you wish.
>In case you don't here's the relevant part.  I had asked what the differences
>were between the old and new versions, and Giacomo replied with this:
>

>>The new kbuild-2.5 (also the new Makefile)
>>will no more work with your command:
>>make dep: is no more needed
>>make bzlilo modules modules_install: it would be a simble
>>make install: (and you configure with CML1/CML2 what install
>>means).
>

>Satisfied now?  Or did you mean I should have installed kbuild2.5 and found out
>for myself?  If I had any interest in using it that would be reasonable.  But
>all I wanted was to find out how bad things are going to be after I eventually
>get stuck with it.  So I asked for information from someone who already knew
>about it.  Do you ever take anyone else's word for anything, or do you always
>have to try everything out for yourself?

I meant precisely this:  Given that you have obviously not tried kbuild 2.5, your comments are utterly meaningless.  The fact that you are satisfied with the old kbuild has absolutely nothing to do with kbuild 2.5 or it's being ready for integration into the 2.5 kernel  (clue: the development tree.. where things change/improve).

>This is my last post on this subject.  There doesn't seem to be anyone here who
>understands the concept of being satisfied with a tool and seeing no need to
>improve it.  If I'm not satisfied with something, I'll expend large amounts of
>time, effort and money to achieve even trivial improvements.  But if I *am*
>satisfied with something, then I don't want to spend even a trivial amount of
>effort trying to achieve "improvements" that I don't need.
>
>I never expected everyone to abandon their own needs to satisfy mine.  It would
>be nice if they tried to accomodate my needs while satisfying their own, but I
>didn't expect that either.  What I expect is that kbuild 2.5 (and eventually
>CML2) will show up in the kernel sooner or later, and I'll just have to live
>with it.  All my original message on this subject was intended to do was to
>point out that not everyone was happy with the situation.  The rest of you have
>reacted as if you're afraid Linus might listen to me and do it my way.  Well,
>relax, I doubt he cares any more about what I want than the rest of you do.  At
>least he didn't feel the need to jump down my throat about it.

I did not jump down your throat, I carefully molded my reply to be as accurate as possible, and aimed it at your head.   Unfortunately, your buttocks seem to have also been in the line of fire.

>I don't need the new kbuild.  I don't want the new kbuild.  But I'm going to be
>stuck with it, and there's nothing I can do to stop it.  So for those of you who
>DO want it, why is it such a burden hear that not everyone thinks the way you
>do?

You're right..  we do think differently.

I don't want the existing problems with the kernel build process to continue forever, and that Keith is doing something about them.  I think that's great.

	-Mike

@ 2002-05-18 10:25 Mike Galbraith
From: Mike Galbraith @ 2002-05-18 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wayne.Brown; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2002-05-18  6:05 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2002-05-18  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

To:   Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec@Altec

@ 2002-05-18  5:09 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2002-05-18  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Gee, what a tolerant attitude.  I state my preference -- not a demand, just a
preference -- that the old interfaces be retained IN ADDITION to whatever new
features are added, and you say "Bah go away."  I'm sorry, I must have missed
the rule that says only people who agree with you are allowed to post their
opinions on lkml.

The current system works just fine for my needs.  I've never seen the point of
trying to "improve" things that are already good enough.  But now that you've
explained it to me so politely, I understand.  My top priority is supposed to be
what YOU want, even though you don't care anything at all about what I want.

So, in the spirit of your oh-so-helpful message, let me say this:  Get stuffed,
jerk.

Robert Love <rml@tech9.net> on 05/17/2002 06:14:45 PM

To:   Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec@Altec
cc:   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org

So we should curb progress in the name of you not spending 2 minutes
rewriting your bash scripts or repopulating your bash history with new
commands?

Bah go away.  I and most other people here are the exact opposite - give
us new features, less bugs, or innovation and we will surely change.
Otherwise we would still be in the stone age.

     Robert Love

-

* Re: kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the 2.5 kernel - take 3
@ 2002-05-17 20:53 Wayne.Brown
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2002-05-17 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.  Yes, the build system is
mostly the same across all these versions -- that's my point.  I want it to STAY
the same as long as possible.  What's the relationship between kbuild and the
size of the kernel source?  Are you saying a new build system would make the
kernel smaller?  Or do you mean that it would be faster, or would require
recompiling smaller portions of the kernel after patching?  That wouldn't help
me, because I'll never trust *any* build system -- even good ol' "make" itself
-- to make the right determination of what to recompile after applying one of
Linus's or Alan's patch sets.  I *always* "make mrproper" and recompile
*everything* after patching.  (Back in my Minix days I usually didn't stop with
recompiling the kernel, but recompiled everything -- libraries, user-space
programs like "cat" and "ls," etc. -- after applying patches.  Minix upgrades
frequently took me 10 hours or more on my 8088 system.)  As for speed, my
Pentium II laptop compiles 2.5.15 a lot faster than my old 486 desktop compiled
0.99pl13 (my first kernel).

Dave Jones <davej@suse.de> on 05/17/2002 03:09:22 PM

To:   Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec@Altec
cc:   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org

Compare and contrast..

-rw-r--r--    1 davej    users     31426560 Jan  9  2001 linux-2.0.39.tar
-rw-r--r--    1 davej    users     85442560 Nov  6  2001 linux-2.2.20.tar
-rw-r--r--    1 davej    users    131727360 Feb 25 20:15 linux-2.4.18.tar
-rw-r--r--    1 davej    users    152524800 May 10 00:11 linux-2.5.15.tar

Spot the pattern? Exponential growth. not only that, but for the most
part, the build system is the same across all of these. If we continue
growing at the current rate without doing something about the build
process, we're all going to be needing 8-way Opterons with several
GB of memory to get any work done.

If kbuild2.5 is faster, and produces the same end result (or better
still, more accurate builds), there's no valid reason to ignore it
that I can see.

    Dave.
--
| Dave Jones.        http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs
-

* Re: kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the 2.5 kernel - take 3
@ 2002-05-17 19:51 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2002-05-17 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Constructive comments would be appropriate if I wanted to help construct a new
kbuild.  The truth is that I'm quite happy with the current kbuild and don't
want it replaced with *anything* at all.  (That's the same reason I'm glad no
one's been talking about CML2 lately.)  The new one wouldn't bother me if the
user interface were *exactly* identical to the old one; i.e., if I could keep
typing exactly the same commands to build a kernel and get exactly the same
results and not be able to tell that anything had changed in the build process.

Personally, I wish that the only changes anybody made were to the kernel itself
(new drivers added, existing performance improved, etc.) and that all the
supporting tools and utilities just could be left alone.  I know that's not
going to happen, but anything that slows down changes in those extraneous things
is fine with me.  I'd be perfectly happy if *years* from now I was compiling
Linux 45.10.12 with the same kbuild, CML, gcc and everything else that I'm using
right now.

Adam Kropelin <akropel1@rochester.rr.com> on 05/17/2002 12:37:18 PM

To:   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 09:21:12AM -0500, Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:

> OTOH, those of us who are not looking forward to kbuild 2.5 are grateful for
any
> delays we can get.

...and what would your beefs (beeves?) with kbuild-2.5 be? I searched the
archives
for the last 12 months and I don't see anythinng from you relevant to
kbuild-2.5.
Keith has been addressing concerns quite regularly; I should think if you have
constructive comments, he'd surely listen.

You *do* have constructive comments, right?

--Adam
-

* Re: kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the 2.5 kernel - take 3
@ 2002-05-17 14:56 James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2002-05-17 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Lane; +Cc: linux-kernel, James.Bottomley

> Along the same lines, we have James Bottomly attempting to  get
> support for the NCR Voyager architecture added to the kernel.  His
> original submission post was sent 2001-12-23: http://
> marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=100913508007485&w=2 The latest
> submission attempt was sent 2002-05-11: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/
> ?l=linux-kernel&m=102115570805131&w=2

> It seems to me that adding a new architecture probably doesn't impact
> the rest of the kernel much, so I am not sure way  acceptance would be
> so long delayed.  I have noticed that  there has been minimal feedback
> to James, which he appears to have responded to quickly and well.  I
> tend to think that any tweaks needed could be accomplished as easily
> once the code has been accepted into the kernel tree.

> Is there some justification for the delay that I have somehow
> overlooked?

Actually, the major criticism was that a new architecture can't be wedged into
the arch/i386 directory without changing an awful lot of critical files, which
is true (and also undesirable from a QA standpoint).

I addressed that by doing the i386 subarchitecture rework (which allows me to
slide all the voyager stuff in to the side). However, that still does a
hatchet job on arch/i386.  There are also several other people working on
related issues in arch/i386, so it has become a slow job.  The current status
is

- PCI rework - In Linus Kernel
- setup/cpu rework - in DJ kernel

I get to wait until the setup/cpu rework makes it to the Linus kernel so I can
slot in the arch subdivisions around it.

James

* Re: kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the 2.5 kernel - take 3
@ 2002-05-17 14:21 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2002-05-17 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Tomas Szepe <szepe@pinerecords.com> on 05/16/2002 10:30:56 PM

To:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
cc:   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org (bcc: Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec)

> > Third and final attempt.  Original sent on May 2, second mail sent on
> > May 14, still no response from Linus.
>
> Linus is a bastard.  Did you forget?

This is getting ridiculous all right.

Linus, what makes you ignore Keith's work?

Would you tend to think he's worked on kbuild25 this long
to end up having to send a linus-dammit-would-you-have-
-a-look-at-last-i'm-not-going-to-keep-asking-forever msg?

Sorry for a slightly offensive post; I can't stand to
see such impoliteness.

T.
-

* kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the 2.5 kernel - take 3
@ 2002-05-16 22:42 Keith Owens
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Keith Owens @ 2002-05-16 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: torvalds

Third and final attempt.  Original sent on May 2, second mail sent on
May 14, still no response from Linus.

Linus, kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the main 2.5 kernel tree.
It is faster, better documented, easier to write build rules in, has
better install facilities, allows separate source and object trees, can
do concurrent builds from the same source tree and is significantly
more accurate than the existing kernel build system.

The current state is

  kbuild-2.5-core-14		Fits any 2.4 and 2.5 kernel.
  kbuild-2.5-common-2.5.15-4	2.5.15 arch independent files.

There are several arch dependent files for 2.5.15 or earlier kernels.

  kbuild-2.5-i386-2.5.15-2
  kbuild-2.5-sparc64-2.5.15-1
  kbuild-2.5-s390-2.5.15-1
  kbuild-2.5-s390x-2.5.15-1
  kbuild-2.5-ppc-2.5.14-1
  kbuild-2.5-sh-2.5.12-1 (also fits 2.5.13)
  kbuild-2.5-ia64-2.5.10-020426-1 (last Mosberger patch)

That covers most of the architectures that currently build on 2.5.

This version has only been tested on CML1.  kbuild 2.5 has support for
an older version of CML2 but it has not been tested on newer versions
of CML2.

Before I send you the kbuild 2.5 patch, how do you want to handle it?

* Coexist with the existing kernel build for one or two releases or
  delete the old build system when kbuild 2.5 goes in?

  Coexistence for a few days gives a backout, just in case.  It also
  gives a kernel release where the old and new code can be compared,
  useful for architectures that have not been converted yet.

  Deleting the old system at the same time means that unconverted
  architectures cannot build.  OTOH many architectures are already
  broken in the 2.5 kernel.

* I need a quiet period of 24-48 hours (no changes at all) after a new
  kernel release to bring kbuild 2.5 up to the latest release, before
  sending you the complete patch.  Which kernel release do you want
  kbuild 2.5 against?

I would like kbuild 2.5 to go in in the near future.  Keeping up to
date with kernel changes is a significant effort, Makefiles change all
the time, especially when major subsystems like sound and usb are
reorganised.  There are also some changes to architecture code to do it
right under kbuild 2.5 and tracking those against kernel changes can be
painful.