* Re: kernel 2.4.19-pre8 reboots instead of halt and 3com messages
@ 2002-05-23 11:48 ` Zwane Mwaikambo
From: Zwane Mwaikambo @ 2002-05-23 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hilbert; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 23 May 2002 hilbert@hjb-design.com wrote:

> PS The 3com card complains about a "transpoder" x times.

Can you get the exact error message? Is the driver modular?

	Zwane Mwaikambo

--
http://function.linuxpower.ca

* kernel 2.4.19-pre8 reboots instead of halt and 3com messages
@ 2002-05-23 11:55 hilbert
From: hilbert @ 2002-05-23 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

Since I installed the 2.4.19-pre8 kernel on my Athlon 1,3 GHz machine.
The machine wont halt and poweroff any more it just reboots.
Systemhardware
AMD Irongate chipset
NVidia 2MX (nvidia drivers 2880)
SB 64-gold - oss drivers (4front)
SCSI Adaptec 2940UW with A7880 (reproted by kernel)
3COM 3C509 (combo)

RH7.1 with Ximian Gnome 1.4

What could be the problem?

I am currently at work so I cannot answer specific answers because I have that
system not available right now.

For more info, just ask.

Hilbert

PS The 3com card complains about a "transpoder" x times.

Everyone should have http://www.freedom2surf.net/

* Re: kernel 2.4.19-pre8 reboots instead of halt and 3com messages
@ 2002-05-23 16:10   ` Hilbert Barelds
From: Hilbert Barelds @ 2002-05-23 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zwane Mwaikambo; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 13:48, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
> On Thu, 23 May 2002 hilbert@hjb-design.com wrote:
>
> > PS The 3com card complains about a "transpoder" x times.
>
> Can you get the exact error message? Is the driver modular?

The exact error message is:
PCI: Found IRQ 12 for device 00:0a.0
3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
00:0a.0: 3Com PCI 3c900 Boomerang 10Mbps Combo at 0xdc00. Vers LK1.1.17
phy=0, phyx=24, mii_status=0xffff
phy=1, phyx=0, mii_status=0xffff
phy=2, phyx=1, mii_status=0xffff
phy=3, phyx=2, mii_status=0xffff
phy=4, phyx=3, mii_status=0xffff
phy=5, phyx=4, mii_status=0xffff
phy=6, phyx=5, mii_status=0xffff
phy=7, phyx=6, mii_status=0xffff
phy=8, phyx=7, mii_status=0xffff
phy=9, phyx=8, mii_status=0xffff
phy=10, phyx=9, mii_status=0xffff
phy=11, phyx=10, mii_status=0xffff
phy=12, phyx=11, mii_status=0xffff
phy=13, phyx=12, mii_status=0xffff
phy=14, phyx=13, mii_status=0xffff
phy=15, phyx=14, mii_status=0xffff
phy=16, phyx=15, mii_status=0xffff
phy=17, phyx=16, mii_status=0xffff
phy=18, phyx=17, mii_status=0xffff
phy=19, phyx=18, mii_status=0xffff
phy=20, phyx=19, mii_status=0xffff
phy=21, phyx=20, mii_status=0xffff
phy=22, phyx=21, mii_status=0xffff
phy=23, phyx=22, mii_status=0xffff
phy=24, phyx=23, mii_status=0xffff
phy=25, phyx=25, mii_status=0xffff
phy=26, phyx=26, mii_status=0xffff
phy=27, phyx=27, mii_status=0xffff
phy=28, phyx=28, mii_status=0xffff
phy=29, phyx=29, mii_status=0xffff
phy=30, phyx=30, mii_status=0xffff
phy=31, phyx=31, mii_status=0xffff
  ***WARNING*** No MII transceivers found!

Reguards,

Hilbert

* Re: kernel 2.4.19-pre8 reboots instead of halt and 3com messages
@ 2002-05-23 18:47     ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2002-05-23 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hilbert Barelds; +Cc: Zwane Mwaikambo, linux-kernel

Hilbert Barelds wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 13:48, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 May 2002 hilbert@hjb-design.com wrote:
> >
> > > PS The 3com card complains about a "transpoder" x times.
> >
> > Can you get the exact error message? Is the driver modular?
>
> The exact error message is:
> PCI: Found IRQ 12 for device 00:0a.0
> 3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
> 00:0a.0: 3Com PCI 3c900 Boomerang 10Mbps Combo at 0xdc00. Vers LK1.1.17
> phy=0, phyx=24, mii_status=0xffff
> phy=1, phyx=0, mii_status=0xffff

That's just a rampant printk - no real problem.  The
3c59x update was, err, somewhat unexpected.  I've actually
asked Marcelo to back out to the 2.4.18 version because
there has been one report of a transceiver selection failure
with the 2.4.19-pre8 driver.

The thing's totally fragile, I'm afraid.  It supports 32 different
devices, of which I have five.  If you change anything, you break
something, and for some types of cards it takes months before
you hear about the breakage.

-

* Re: kernel 2.4.19-pre8 reboots instead of halt and 3com messages
@ 2002-05-24 15:19 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-05-24 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hilbert; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Since I installed the 2.4.19-pre8 kernel on my Athlon 1,3 GHz machine.
> The machine wont halt and poweroff any more it just reboots.
> Systemhardware
> AMD Irongate chipset
> NVidia 2MX (nvidia drivers 2880)

The Nvidia drivers are not supported by the open source community.

Firstly please boot without the Nvidia drivers getting loaded at all. If the
problem still occurs check you built both the old and new kernel with the
same APM options.

* Re: kernel 2.4.19-pre8 reboots instead of halt and 3com messages
@ 2002-05-24 22:06   ` Hilbert Barelds
From: Hilbert Barelds @ 2002-05-24 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel