* Re: Nforce chipset and 2.2 kernels
@ 2002-05-25  6:13 Hayden James
From: Hayden James @ 2002-05-25  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

You are shit out of luck, upgrade to 2.4 and deal with the lack of
free complete drivers for the onboard audio, network, and video or return
the boards. I am not even sure if 2.4 will work seeing as how I was
told(by Alan and Vojtech) that 2.5 is the only kernel that supports the IDE
chipset on the board.

Hayden A. James
Computer Engineering
Stevens Institute of Technology
http://attila.stevens-tech.edu/~hjames/

* Re: Nforce chipset and 2.2 kernels
@ 2002-05-25  6:20 ` Andre Hedrick
From: Andre Hedrick @ 2002-05-25  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hayden James; +Cc: linux-kernel

Well I had an appointment to talk to nVidia to get them to open source but
not needed anymore, at least for public/published works.

On Sat, 25 May 2002, Hayden James wrote:

> You are shit out of luck, upgrade to 2.4 and deal with the lack of
> free complete drivers for the onboard audio, network, and video or return
> the boards. I am not even sure if 2.4 will work seeing as how I was
> told(by Alan and Vojtech) that 2.5 is the only kernel that supports the IDE
> chipset on the board.
>
> Hayden A. James
> Computer Engineering
> Stevens Institute of Technology
> http://attila.stevens-tech.edu/~hjames/
>
> -

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

* Re: Nforce chipset and 2.2 kernels
@ 2002-05-25 13:16 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-05-25 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hayden James; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 2002-05-25 at 07:13, Hayden James wrote:
> You are shit out of luck, upgrade to 2.4 and deal with the lack of
> free complete drivers for the onboard audio, network, and video or return
> the boards. I am not even sure if 2.4 will work seeing as how I was
> told(by Alan and Vojtech) that 2.5 is the only kernel that supports the IDE
> chipset on the board.

Fixing the IDE to work in the stable tree appears to be just adding some
PCI idents so that bit shouldn't be too problematic. The rest is not
good though

Alan

* Re: Nforce chipset and 2.2 kernels
@ 2002-05-24 14:24 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-05-24 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schenk; +Cc: LKML

> the Nforce 420 chipset and was wondering if there is any possibility of
> getting the integrated network component working with a 2.2.x kernel.
> Upgrading to a 2.4.x kernel is not an option.  Any pointers would be
> appreciated.

The Nforce is basically completely unsupported by 2.2. It is mostly unsupported
by 2.4. The networking built into the chipset is not supported by either
system. Basically its windows computer

* Nforce chipset and 2.2 kernels
@ 2002-05-24  1:29 Thomas Schenk
From: Thomas Schenk @ 2002-05-24  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LKML

Yes, I know that nVidia is evil, but I am stuck with 20 AMD systems with
the Nforce 420 chipset and was wondering if there is any possibility of
getting the integrated network component working with a 2.2.x kernel.
Upgrading to a 2.4.x kernel is not an option.  Any pointers would be
appreciated.

Tom S.

P.S.  Please don't flame me.  I do my best to influence the hardware
buying decisions in this company towards vendors that support Linux.
This one slipped under my radar, unfortunately.

--
| Tom Schenk      | A positive attitude may not solve all your    |