* [OT]Raw Disk Support?
@ 2002-09-27 13:38 Mark Hounschell
From: Mark Hounschell @ 2002-09-27 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

 Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. Just figured you all would know the
answer for sure.

I have a need for an application I'm writing to be able to read raw data from
scsi disk drives that were used on an old Proprietary OS. (MPX-32). These disks
are formatted at a 768 byte sector size. All disks using this OS were formatted
at a 768 byte sector. Is there any way that I can read the raw 768 byte sectors
with Linux?

I guess first, will a Linux scsi driver let me read 768 byte sectors and second
is there raw disk device support such that I can read these disks without a
known filesystem type being on them?

Thanks in advance and Regards

Mark

* Re: [OT]Raw Disk Support?
@ 2002-09-27 14:21 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-09-27 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: markh; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 14:38, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> I guess first, will a Linux scsi driver let me read 768 byte sectors and second
> is there raw disk device support such that I can read these disks without a
> known filesystem type being on them?

Our raw drivers dont support non power of two sectors. You can extract
all the data itself using the scsi generic interface to send your own
SCSI READ_6 commands to the drive directly