* (no subject)
@ 2002-10-11  0:11 sridhar vaidyanathan
From: sridhar vaidyanathan @ 2002-10-11  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I am trying to debug a kernel over a remote serial console. I get
Ignoring packet error ..
kgdb page suggests that it might be due to the speed mismatch. i tried
stty ispeed 9600 ospeed 9600 < /dev/ttyS0
on the development machine and have passed serial=0,9600n8 option and
gdbbaud=9600 via lilo to the debug kernel.

when i run
%stty speed
on the development machine it still reports 38400.
so i changed the gdbbaud and serial= values to 38400 on the test machine. even
this doesn't work.
any ideas?also on the development machine when i invoke
%gdb bzImage
gdb reports that bzImage is not an Executable file format and it is unable to
recognize the format. what is the problem?
-sridhar
ps: i have tried redirecting the kernel messages( without patching it with
kgdb) over the serial line and read it with minicom . that works fine.

please email as i am not subscribed.

* Re:
@ 2002-10-11  0:21 ` Steven Dake
From: Steven Dake @ 2002-10-11  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sridhar vaidyanathan; +Cc: linux-kernel

sridhar vaidyanathan wrote:

>I am trying to debug a kernel over a remote serial console. I get
>Ignoring packet error ..

I have seen this and in my case, it had to do with printks coming over
the serial link with console redirection.

>kgdb page suggests that it might be due to the speed mismatch. i tried
>stty ispeed 9600 ospeed 9600 < /dev/ttyS0
>on the development machine and have passed serial=0,9600n8 option and
>gdbbaud=9600 via lilo to the debug kernel.
>
>when i run
>%stty speed
>on the development machine it still reports 38400.
>so i changed the gdbbaud and serial= values to 38400 on the test machine. even
>this doesn't work.
>any ideas?also on the development machine when i invoke
>%gdb bzImage

try gdb vmlinux.  This is the uncompressed image that gdb knows how to
read.  bzImage is the compressed kernel that you should boot.  The
vmlinux file should match the bzImage file.

>gdb reports that bzImage is not an Executable file format and it is unable to
>recognize the format. what is the problem?
>-sridhar
>ps: i have tried redirecting the kernel messages( without patching it with
>kgdb) over the serial line and read it with minicom . that works fine.
>
>please email as i am not subscribed.
>-
>Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

* 2.5.4x booting from floppy or loadlin
@ 2002-10-12 17:16   ` Rene Blokland
From: Rene Blokland @ 2002-10-12 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi All,
It is not possible anymore from dos with loadlin and from a floppy which
contains a kernel image written with dd, It used to work for some years.
My system is arch i386. gcc-3.2 glibc-3.2.1
What happens is:

Uncompressing Linux ...
ran out of input data

  --System halted