* usb CF reader and 2.4.19
@ 2002-10-16  9:22 Joseph Wenninger
From: Joseph Wenninger @ 2002-10-16  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi

Is there anything I can do to flush all usb / usb storage buffers to my
compact flash ?

At the moment I have to rmmod usb-storage && rmmod usb-uhci && modprobe
usb-uhci && modprobe usb-storage to ensure all data is written
correctly, otherwise the directory structure isn't saved even after an
unmount.

Is there an application, function call, ioctl, .... which I can use,
instead of the above mentioned inconvenient way ?

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger

* Re: usb CF reader and 2.4.19
@ 2002-10-16 15:34 ` Rob van Nieuwkerk
From: Rob van Nieuwkerk @ 2002-10-16 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Wenninger; +Cc: linux-kernel, robn

Hi Joseph,

You don't mention what USB device you are using with your compact flash.
I don't have any problems with a "SanDisk Imagemate, SDDR-31" USB
CF reader: works flawlessly.

I'm using a up-to-date Red Hat 7.3 system with Red Hat kernel 2.4.18-10.
Maybe the driver(s) for your USB and/or cardreader are buggy.

	greetings,
	Rob van Nieuwkerk

PS: before chosing the SDDR-31 I did some extensive web-research on the
    USB/CF readers available with Linux.  I chose the SDDR-31 (which
    can be a bit hard to get nowadays) because it seemed the device
    with the least (Linux) problems.

> Is there anything I can do to flush all usb / usb storage buffers to my
> compact flash ?
>
> At the moment I have to rmmod usb-storage && rmmod usb-uhci && modprobe
> usb-uhci && modprobe usb-storage to ensure all data is written
> correctly, otherwise the directory structure isn't saved even after an
> unmount.
>
> Is there an application, function call, ioctl, .... which I can use,
> instead of the above mentioned inconvenient way ?
>
> Kind regards
> Joseph Wenninger

* Re: usb CF reader and 2.4.19
@ 2002-10-16 15:34 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2002-10-16 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Wenninger; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 11:22:04AM +0200, Joseph Wenninger wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there anything I can do to flush all usb / usb storage buffers to my
> compact flash ?
>
> At the moment I have to rmmod usb-storage && rmmod usb-uhci && modprobe
> usb-uhci && modprobe usb-storage to ensure all data is written
> correctly, otherwise the directory structure isn't saved even after an
> unmount.
>
> Is there an application, function call, ioctl, .... which I can use,
> instead of the above mentioned inconvenient way ?

sync(1) and then umount(8) doesn't flush everything to the device?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: usb CF reader and 2.4.19
@ 2002-10-16 17:16   ` Joseph Wenninger
From: Joseph Wenninger @ 2002-10-16 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi

Am Mit, 2002-10-16 um 17.34 schrieb Greg KH:

> sync(1) and then umount(8) doesn't flush everything to the device?

Exactly. If I remount the device it looks like everything is okay, but
if I put it into my notebook instead the CF appears still empty. If I do
the module unloading before I remove the CF from the reader it works. I
don't think that it is the card reader, since it works perfectly with
Windows XP or 2000.

Just for reference I use a ML4-USB card reader/writer from Datafab. It
is a device with 4 slots (each appearing as an own device) for
CF,SM,SD,MS

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger

* Re: usb CF reader and 2.4.19
       [not found] <no.id>
@ 2002-10-16 21:10 ` Vid Strpic
From: Vid Strpic @ 2002-10-16 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 11:22:04AM +0200, Joseph Wenninger wrote:
> Is there anything I can do to flush all usb / usb storage buffers to
> my compact flash ?
> At the moment I have to rmmod usb-storage && rmmod usb-uhci &&
> modprobe usb-uhci && modprobe usb-storage to ensure all data is
> written correctly, otherwise the directory structure isn't saved even
> after an unmount.

eject sda|whichever device it is, maybe?

Works here with my SM/CF reader.

--
           vms@bofhlet.net, IRC:*@Martin, /bin/zsh. C|N>K
Linux lorien 2.4.19rml #1 Mon Sep 16 09:01:48 CEST 2002 i586