* PROBLEM: Incorrect CPUs (Xeon 1.8 with HT) frequency ?
@ 2003-01-20 15:32 Andrey V. Ignatov
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrey V. Ignatov @ 2003-01-20 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I think that kernel detect my CPUs not correctly. I have box with dual
Xeon CPU 1.80GHz and HT feature. Kernel successfully found all 4
virtual CPUs but frequency of each CPUs is incorrect as I mean.
My system build on Intel╝ E7500 chipset.
I try kernels : 2.4.20 & 2.4.21-pre3...
Output from /proc/cpuinfo (for each processor the same):
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 1.80GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 798.659
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 1592.52

P.S.
Please CC's to me because I am not list subscriber.

* Re: PROBLEM: Incorrect CPUs (Xeon 1.8 with HT) frequency ?
@ 2003-01-20 15:45 ` Richard B. Johnson
From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2003-01-20 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey V. Ignatov; +Cc: linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII, Size: 1530 bytes --]

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Andrey V. Ignatov wrote:

> I think that kernel detect my CPUs not correctly. I have box with dual
> Xeon CPU 1.80GHz and HT feature. Kernel successfully found all 4
> virtual CPUs but frequency of each CPUs is incorrect as I mean.
> My system build on Intel® E7500 chipset.
> I try kernels : 2.4.20 & 2.4.21-pre3...
> Output from /proc/cpuinfo (for each processor the same):
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 2
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 1.80GHz
> stepping        : 7
> cpu MHz         : 798.659
> cache size      : 512 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 2
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
> bogomips        : 1592.52
>
> P.S.
> Please CC's to me because I am not list subscriber.

The CPU frequency is measured! So, either the programmable interrupt
timer isn't getting the right clock frequency or the CPU isn't getting
the right clock frequency.

Since the reported bogomips is about twice the CPU frequency, the
measured numbers look correct. So, maybe the jumpers on the mother-
board (or the BIOS) are not set correctly??

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

* Re: PROBLEM: Incorrect CPUs (Xeon 1.8 with HT) frequency ?
@ 2003-01-20 15:53 ` Brian Gerst
From: Brian Gerst @ 2003-01-20 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey V. Ignatov; +Cc: linux-kernel

Andrey V. Ignatov wrote:
> I think that kernel detect my CPUs not correctly. I have box with dual
> Xeon CPU 1.80GHz and HT feature. Kernel successfully found all 4
> virtual CPUs but frequency of each CPUs is incorrect as I mean.
> My system build on Intel╝ E7500 chipset.
> I try kernels : 2.4.20 & 2.4.21-pre3...
> Output from /proc/cpuinfo (for each processor the same):
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 2
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 1.80GHz
> stepping        : 7
> cpu MHz         : 798.659

Are you sure the Jumpers (or BIOS) are configured for the right
frequency?  Jumperless motherboards in particular have a habit of
reverting to a "safe" frequency if a boot fails or if you power off
during POST.

--
				Brian Gerst

* Re: PROBLEM: Incorrect CPUs (Xeon 1.8 with HT) frequency ?
@ 2003-01-20 16:01 ` Justin Cormack
From: Justin Cormack @ 2003-01-20 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 15:32, Andrey V. Ignatov wrote:
> I think that kernel detect my CPUs not correctly. I have box with dual
> Xeon CPU 1.80GHz and HT feature. Kernel successfully found all 4
> virtual CPUs but frequency of each CPUs is incorrect as I mean.
> My system build on Intel╝ E7500 chipset.
> I try kernels : 2.4.20 & 2.4.21-pre3...
> Output from /proc/cpuinfo (for each processor the same):
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 2
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 1.80GHz
> stepping        : 7
> cpu MHz         : 798.659
> cache size      : 512 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 2
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
> bogomips        : 1592.52

Some BIOSs on the Xeon boards dont seem to set the multiplier right. Set
it by hand in the BIOS (as a multiple of real FSB ie 100 for 400MHz bus,
133 for 533 bus).

Justin