* 2.5.70 hangs on boot
@ 2003-06-13  1:08 OverrideX
From: OverrideX @ 2003-06-13  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all,

I've tried 2.5.70, 2.5.70-mm8 and 2.5.70-bk17.  All of them hang while
booting, the last message they display is "Uncompressing Linux... Ok,
booting the kernel." then they just sit blank and boot no further.  I've
booted previous 2.5.x kernels on this system, the last I had used was
2.5.63. My Hardware and other info is below, .config is attached. Is
anyone else experiencing this problem?  Is there any other information I
can provide to help debuging?  Please cc me any replies as my mailbox
can't take the full brunt of this mailing list, thanks -Dan

Dual Athlon 1.4ghz (1700+)
Tyan Tiger MPX mobo (AMD-760 MPX chipset)
512MB ram
Software Raid-1 /boot partition, Software Raid-0 /, /var, /home, /usr
partitions
lilo 22.5.4
Debian Sid

--
OverrideX <overridex@punkass.com>
GPG Key Fingerprint = 4AD5 CE9C D7C8 0069 BDD3 7F72 3AB2 642A 5A5D EB89

Life without caffeine is stimulating enough. -- Sanka Ad

[-- Attachment #2: config-2.5.70dan.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 7036 bytes --]

* Re: 2.5.70 hangs on boot
@ 2003-06-13 21:49 ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2003-06-13 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OverrideX, vojtech; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 09:08:39PM -0400, OverrideX wrote:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I've tried 2.5.70, 2.5.70-mm8 and 2.5.70-bk17.  All of them hang while
 > booting, the last message they display is "Uncompressing Linux... Ok,
 > booting the kernel." then they just sit blank and boot no further.  I've
 > booted previous 2.5.x kernels on this system, the last I had used was
 > 2.5.63. My Hardware and other info is below, .config is attached. Is
 > anyone else experiencing this problem?  Is there any other information I
 > can provide to help debuging?  Please cc me any replies as my mailbox
 > can't take the full brunt of this mailing list, thanks -Dan

Ugh, what a mess. Take a look at http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt
You'll notice that your .config doesn't contain most of those in the
'gotchas' section that it suggests you make sure you have.

The root cause of this is that you have CONFIG_INPUT=m.

CONFIG_VT only shows up if you have CONFIG_INPUT=y.
With it set to =m a whole bunch of options never ever show up in the
configuration.

This really wants fixing badly. The source of this problem seems to be
people taking 2.4 configs (where CONFIG_INPUT=m was fine), and it all
going pear-shaped when people make oldconfig.  I'm aware of the problems
that oldconfig can't override variables set in .config, so how about
just renaming CONFIG_INPUT to something else ?

		Dave

* Re: 2.5.70 hangs on boot
@ 2003-06-13 22:12   ` Vojtech Pavlik
From: Vojtech Pavlik @ 2003-06-13 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Jones, OverrideX, vojtech, linux-kernel

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 10:49:44PM +0100, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 09:08:39PM -0400, OverrideX wrote:
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > I've tried 2.5.70, 2.5.70-mm8 and 2.5.70-bk17.  All of them hang while
>  > booting, the last message they display is "Uncompressing Linux... Ok,
>  > booting the kernel." then they just sit blank and boot no further.  I've
>  > booted previous 2.5.x kernels on this system, the last I had used was
>  > 2.5.63. My Hardware and other info is below, .config is attached. Is
>  > anyone else experiencing this problem?  Is there any other information I
>  > can provide to help debuging?  Please cc me any replies as my mailbox
>  > can't take the full brunt of this mailing list, thanks -Dan
>
> Ugh, what a mess. Take a look at http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt
> You'll notice that your .config doesn't contain most of those in the
> 'gotchas' section that it suggests you make sure you have.
>
> The root cause of this is that you have CONFIG_INPUT=m.
>
> CONFIG_VT only shows up if you have CONFIG_INPUT=y.
> With it set to =m a whole bunch of options never ever show up in the
> configuration.
>
> This really wants fixing badly. The source of this problem seems to be
> people taking 2.4 configs (where CONFIG_INPUT=m was fine), and it all
> going pear-shaped when people make oldconfig.  I'm aware of the problems
> that oldconfig can't override variables set in .config, so how about
> just renaming CONFIG_INPUT to something else ?

I'm considering CONFIG_INPUT_ADVANCED, which would default to 'n', like
with the font and parition config and if set to 'n', all the modules
needed for 2.4 functional compatibility would be automatically built in.
What do you think?

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR

* Re: 2.5.70 hangs on boot
@ 2003-06-13 22:19     ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2003-06-13 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vojtech Pavlik; +Cc: OverrideX, vojtech, linux-kernel

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 12:12:09AM +0200, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

 > > This really wants fixing badly. The source of this problem seems to be
 > > people taking 2.4 configs (where CONFIG_INPUT=m was fine), and it all
 > > going pear-shaped when people make oldconfig.  I'm aware of the problems
 > > that oldconfig can't override variables set in .config, so how about
 > > just renaming CONFIG_INPUT to something else ?
 >
 > I'm considering CONFIG_INPUT_ADVANCED, which would default to 'n', like
 > with the font and parition config and if set to 'n', all the modules
 > needed for 2.4 functional compatibility would be automatically built in.
 > What do you think?

I don't see how this helps the situation. CONFIG_INPUT=m from a 2.4
config will still make CONFIG_VT not show up in the 2.5 config.

		Dave

* Re: 2.5.70 hangs on boot
@ 2003-06-14  8:54       ` Vojtech Pavlik
From: Vojtech Pavlik @ 2003-06-14  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Jones, OverrideX, vojtech, linux-kernel

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 11:19:22PM +0100, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 12:12:09AM +0200, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
>
>  > > This really wants fixing badly. The source of this problem seems to be
>  > > people taking 2.4 configs (where CONFIG_INPUT=m was fine), and it all
>  > > going pear-shaped when people make oldconfig.  I'm aware of the problems
>  > > that oldconfig can't override variables set in .config, so how about
>  > > just renaming CONFIG_INPUT to something else ?
>  >
>  > I'm considering CONFIG_INPUT_ADVANCED, which would default to 'n', like
>  > with the font and parition config and if set to 'n', all the modules
>  > needed for 2.4 functional compatibility would be automatically built in.
>  > What do you think?
>
> I don't see how this helps the situation. CONFIG_INPUT=m from a 2.4
> config will still make CONFIG_VT not show up in the 2.5 config.

I was thinking this:

if CONFIG_INPUT_ADVANCED
	config INPUT_MOUSEDEV
		tristate "Mouse interface"
        	default y
        	depends on INPUT
	config INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX
		bool "Provide legacy /dev/psaux device"
		default y
		depends on INPUT_MOUSEDEV
else
	config INPUT_MOUSEDEV
		tristate
		default y
	config INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX
		bool
		default y
endif

Same for CONFIG_VT and the other stuff that needs to be there to be
working. CONFIG_INPUT_ADVANCED is in no 2.4 kernel config and thus will
be 'n' for unsuspecting people doing 'make oldconfig'.

Then the Kconfig will define all the VT and INPUT and SERIO stuff to 'y'
without asking.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR

* Re: 2.5.70 hangs on boot
@ 2003-06-14  8:57   ` OverrideX
From: OverrideX @ 2003-06-14  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Jones, linux-kernel

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 17:49, Dave Jones wrote:
> Ugh, what a mess. Take a look at http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt
> You'll notice that your .config doesn't contain most of those in the
> 'gotchas' section that it suggests you make sure you have.
>
> The root cause of this is that you have CONFIG_INPUT=m.
>
> CONFIG_VT only shows up if you have CONFIG_INPUT=y.
> With it set to =m a whole bunch of options never ever show up in the
> configuration.
>
> This really wants fixing badly. The source of this problem seems to be
> people taking 2.4 configs (where CONFIG_INPUT=m was fine), and it all
> going pear-shaped when people make oldconfig.  I'm aware of the problems
> that oldconfig can't override variables set in .config, so how about
> just renaming CONFIG_INPUT to something else ?
>
> 		Dave

Yep, this was the problem thanks for the heads up -Dan

--
OverrideX <overridex@punkass.com>
GPG Key Fingerprint = 4AD5 CE9C D7C8 0069 BDD3 7F72 3AB2 642A 5A5D EB89

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent
revolution inevitable. -- John F. Kennedy