* NTFS RW enabled
@ 2003-07-13 20:17 Niklaus
From: Niklaus @ 2003-07-13 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aia21; +Cc: ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev, linux-kernel

Hi,
	I have enabled NTFS RW in kernel and compiled it as  a module.Everything went fine.
	I then loaded the module and mounted my win2k drive which is /dev/hda12.
	This is the output of mount
	/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part12 on /mnt/12 type ntfs (rw)
	As you can see /dev/hda12 or part12 is mounted rw.
	Even i tried this
	/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part12 on /mnt/12 type ntfs (rw,uid=0,umask=022)

	When i cd to /mnt/12 and do

	Foo:/mnt/12# ls
	RECYCLER
	System Volume Information
	Foo:/mnt/12# mkdir check
	mkdir: cannot create directory `check': Operation not permitted
	Foo:/mnt/12# touch try
	touch: cannot touch `try': Permission denied
	Foo:/mnt/12# echo hi > foo
	bash: foo: Permission denied
	Foo:/mnt/12#
	Why aren't the commands working. I am sure i have enabled RW in kernel.I
        did it twice.
	kernel version is 2.4.21.

	What should i do to create a directory or file in NTFS drive (/mnt/12).
	Do i need special tools or how do i do it ?

Thank you
Nik

* Re: NTFS RW enabled
@ 2003-07-13 20:58 ` Christian Axelsson
From: Christian Axelsson @ 2003-07-13 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niklaus; +Cc: aia21, ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev, linux-kernel

On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 22:17, Niklaus wrote:,
> 	I have enabled NTFS RW
You  are aware of the risks with rw ntfs right? It can (read will)
eventually corrupt you filesystem (read
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html#3.2 if you havent).

About the error I aint sure, are you sure you added rw as mount option?
Also check permissions.

--
Christian Axelsson
smiler@lanil.mine.nu

* Re: NTFS RW enabled
@ 2003-07-13 21:26 ` Anton Altaparmakov
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2003-07-13 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niklaus; +Cc: ntfs, linux-ntfs-dev, linux-kernel

Hi,

for your own safety writing is disabled in the OLD ntfs driver.  I
guarantee you that if you bypass this and enable write support, your
entire partition will be destroyed or damaged.  I strongly suggest you do
NOT enable write support!

If you don't care and just want to try anyway you need to mount readonly
 AND then you need to remount rw again.  This will enable writing:

mount -o ro ...
mount -o remount,rw ...

But really do NOT do this!  It WILL eat your data, especially if you
change the directory structure as you seem to want to do.

If you want to modify existing files without changes in file size then
download the new ntfs driver (2.1.4a) patch from
http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/downloads.html and use this.  It ONLY allows
modifying of existing files without changes in file size but at least it
allows it SAFELY.

Best regards,

	Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/