* Toshiba PS/2 touchpad on 2.6.X not working along bottom and right sides
@ 2004-12-29 15:11 Andrew Haninger
From: Andrew Haninger @ 2004-12-29 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello.

I recently installed Linux 2.6.10 on my Gateway Solo 2500 notebook
after using it happily with 2.4.27 (aside from some ACPI sleeping
issues). Since installing the new kernel, I've noticed an odd problem
with the Toshiba PS/2 touchpad which is used as a cursor. If I move my
finger left and right along the 'bottom' portion of the touchpad or up
and down along the right side, there is no movement from the mouse
cursor at all. This behavior shows up using gdm and XFree86. Running
'xev' produces no output when these sides are used. However, if I move
my finger left-right along the top side or up-down along the left
side, the cursor moves just fine. Tapping the pad to click in the
non-working areas and moving the finger from outside of these areas
and then into them, however, works fine.

It's almost as if the portion of the pad that is sensitive to movement
has been shifted up and to the left (except that clicking in and
dragging into this area works).

I think this might have something to do with the drag-lock function
because if I move the cursor from, say, the center of the pad and down
to the lower side, the cursor will begin to move downward when my
finger gets into the portion of the pad that does not function 100%.
(This is really only a wild-ass guess, though.)

I've tried killing gdm and loading up my old 2.4 kernels to be sure
it's not something else. I've also tried kernels 2.6.5.and 2.6.0 and a
clean 2.6.10 tree (without the acpi and swsusp2 patches that I want)
to be sure that this isn't likely to be something that just cropped up
recently. The old (good, working) behavior is found in a 2.4 kernel
and some new (bad, faulty) behavior is found in the 2.6 kernels that
I've tried. I've also tried booting with acpi=off to no avail.

I realize this problem may seem odd, but I've described it as best I
can. I also realize that other people are having issues with pointing
devices and keyboards, so this could just be a related problem that
will be fixed when those others are fixed as well.

Thanks.
--
                         -Andy

* Re: Toshiba PS/2 touchpad on 2.6.X not working along bottom and right sides
@ 2004-12-30  4:38 ` Dmitry Torokhov
       [not found]   ` <105c793f04123006532a9c1d18@mail.gmail.com>
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2004-12-30  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, Andrew Haninger

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 10:11 am, Andrew Haninger wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I recently installed Linux 2.6.10 on my Gateway Solo 2500 notebook
> after using it happily with 2.4.27 (aside from some ACPI sleeping
> issues). Since installing the new kernel, I've noticed an odd problem
> with the Toshiba PS/2 touchpad which is used as a cursor. If I move my
> finger left and right along the 'bottom' portion of the touchpad or up
> and down along the right side, there is no movement from the mouse
> cursor at all. This behavior shows up using gdm and XFree86. Running
> 'xev' produces no output when these sides are used. However, if I move
> my finger left-right along the top side or up-down along the left
> side, the cursor moves just fine. Tapping the pad to click in the
> non-working areas and moving the finger from outside of these areas
> and then into them, however, works fine

What does dmesg and /proc/bus/input/devices say about your touchpad?

--
Dmitry

* Fwd: Toshiba PS/2 touchpad on 2.6.X not working along bottom and right sides
       [not found]   ` <105c793f04123006532a9c1d18@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2004-12-30 14:58     ` Andrew Haninger
From: Andrew Haninger @ 2004-12-30 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I forgot to CC the list in case anyone else was interested in this
information as well.

Sorry about the dupe, Dmitry.

-Andy

> > I recently installed Linux 2.6.10 on my Gateway Solo 2500 notebook
> > after using it happily with 2.4.27 (aside from some ACPI sleeping
> > issues). Since installing the new kernel, I've noticed an odd problem
> > with the Toshiba PS/2 touchpad which is used as a cursor. If I move my
> > finger left and right along the 'bottom' portion of the touchpad or up
> > and down along the right side, there is no movement from the mouse
> > cursor at all. This behavior shows up using gdm and XFree86. Running
> > 'xev' produces no output when these sides are used. However, if I move
> > my finger left-right along the top side or up-down along the left
> > side, the cursor moves just fine. Tapping the pad to click in the
> > non-working areas and moving the finger from outside of these areas
> > and then into them, however, works fine
>
> What does dmesg and /proc/bus/input/devices say about your touchpad?

root@laptop:~# dmesg | grep "PS"
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
input: PS2T++ Logitech TouchPad 3 on isa0060/serio1

root@laptop:~# cat /proc/bus/input/devices
I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0003 Version=0061
N: Name="PS2T++ Logitech TouchPad 3"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
H: Handlers=mouse0
B: EV=7
B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=143

Actually, this was more information than I was able to find earlier.
I'll be able to do some more useful searches now.

Thanks.
--
Andy

* Re: Fwd: Toshiba PS/2 touchpad on 2.6.X not working along bottom and right sides
@ 2004-12-30 15:23       ` Henning P. Schmiedehausen
From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen @ 2004-12-30 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Andrew Haninger <ahaning@gmail.com> writes:

This might be a touchpad that simulates the scroll wheel on the right
side and horizontal scrolling on the bottom.

Does your touchpad emit mouse button events when touching on the
right / bottom side?

I have a Toshiba Satellite with another touchpad (a Synaptics) and
this can be programmed to do so. I'd think that Toshiba noadays uses
touchpads that have this hard-coded (maybe there is a command to turn
this on/off).

	Regards
		Henning

>I forgot to CC the list in case anyone else was interested in this
>information as well.

>Sorry about the dupe, Dmitry.

>-Andy

What is more important to you...
   [ ] Product Security

* Re: Fwd: Toshiba PS/2 touchpad on 2.6.X not working along bottom and right sides
@ 2004-12-30 16:07         ` Andrew Haninger
From: Andrew Haninger @ 2004-12-30 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hps; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:23:36 +0000 (UTC), Henning P. Schmiedehausen
<hps@intermeta.de> wrote:
> This might be a touchpad that simulates the scroll wheel on the right
> side and horizontal scrolling on the bottom.
>
> Does your touchpad emit mouse button events when touching on the
> right / bottom side?
>
> I have a Toshiba Satellite with another touchpad (a Synaptics) and
> this can be programmed to do so. I'd think that Toshiba noadays uses
> touchpads that have this hard-coded (maybe there is a command to turn
> this on/off).
I have a ThinkPad T42 that can do this, as well, and this is what I
thought when I first encountered this problem. However, I've had this
Gateway laptop since about 1999 and it hasn't done this since. Not in
2.2 or 2.4.

Also, like I said, xev produced no output when I touched and dragged
in the offending areas.

If this really is an added feature and there's a way to turn it off,
that would be okay. Having it off by default would be best since it's
seemingly a changed behavior between one kernel version and another
(also, I hate that feature :) ).

--

@ 2004-12-30 17:03           ` Dmitry Torokhov
       [not found]             ` <105c793f04123009183bcc7dd1@mail.gmail.com>
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2004-12-30 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, Andrew Haninger; +Cc: hps

On Thursday 30 December 2004 11:07 am, Andrew Haninger wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:23:36 +0000 (UTC), Henning P. Schmiedehausen
> <hps@intermeta.de> wrote:
> > This might be a touchpad that simulates the scroll wheel on the right
> > side and horizontal scrolling on the bottom.
> >
> > Does your touchpad emit mouse button events when touching on the
> > right / bottom side?
> >
> > I have a Toshiba Satellite with another touchpad (a Synaptics) and
> > this can be programmed to do so. I'd think that Toshiba noadays uses
> > touchpads that have this hard-coded (maybe there is a command to turn
> > this on/off).
> I have a ThinkPad T42 that can do this, as well, and this is what I
> thought when I first encountered this problem. However, I've had this
> Gateway laptop since about 1999 and it hasn't done this since. Not in
> 2.2 or 2.4.
>
> Also, like I said, xev produced no output when I touched and dragged
> in the offending areas.
>
> If this really is an added feature and there's a way to turn it off,
> that would be okay. Having it off by default would be best since it's
> seemingly a changed behavior between one kernel version and another
> (also, I hate that feature :) ).

Yes, you can. Booting with psmouse.proto=bare will force the touchpad
into standard PS/2 mode. You may also try booting with
psmouse.proto=imps and psmouse.proto=exps - maybe one of these 2 will
give you virtual scrolling.

If psmouse is compiled as a module you will have to add

	options psmouse proto=bare

to your /etc/modprobe.conf

Btw, what device/protocol are you using in X? I'd advise setting it
to "dev/input/mice" and "ExplorerPS/2" so if your touchad is indeed
sending scroll events X would use them. Could you post your config,
please?

Thanks!

--
Dmitry

* Logitech PS/2 touchpad on 2.6.X not working along bottom and right sides.
       [not found]             ` <105c793f04123009183bcc7dd1@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2004-12-30 17:23               ` Andrew Haninger
From: Andrew Haninger @ 2004-12-30 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

And again, the previously-unforwarded-to-the-list bit.

-Andy

> Yes, you can. Booting with psmouse.proto=bare will force the touchpad
> into standard PS/2 mode. You may also try booting with
> psmouse.proto=imps and psmouse.proto=exps - maybe one of these 2 will
> give you virtual scrolling.
>
> If psmouse is compiled as a module you will have to add
>
>         options psmouse proto=bare
>
> to your /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> Btw, what device/protocol are you using in X? I'd advise setting it
> to "dev/input/mice" and "ExplorerPS/2" so if your touchad is indeed
> sending scroll events X would use them. Could you post your config,
> please?

I'm using the /dev/mouse device for X with protocol 'auto'.

Here's the relevant portion of my XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

Unfortunately, I'm not currently physically at the machine (I only
have ssh access currently), so I can't try this stuff right away.
However, I will try your suggestions when I'm next at the machine
later today.

(Also, I'm now realizing that my subject for this thread was wrong, so
I've edited it a bit.)

@ 2004-12-31  0:26             ` Andrew Haninger
From: Andrew Haninger @ 2004-12-31  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-kernel

(I'm replying to this message to keep it inside the original thread.
It should be noted that the subject is wrong and that it turns out
that the mouse is actually from Logitech and not Toshiba. Duh.)

> Yes, you can. Booting with psmouse.proto=bare will force the touchpad
> into standard PS/2 mode. You may also try booting with
> psmouse.proto=imps and psmouse.proto=exps - maybe one of these 2 will
> give you virtual scrolling.
>
> If psmouse is compiled as a module you will have to add
>
>         options psmouse proto=bare
>
> to your /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> Btw, what device/protocol are you using in X? I'd advise setting it
> to "dev/input/mice" and "ExplorerPS/2" so if your touchad is indeed
> sending scroll events X would use them. Could you post your config,
> please?

Thanks, Dmitry. Setting proto=bare has returned the touchpad to it's
original behavior.

Just to be clear, here's what I've done:

If I compiled the psmouse driver into the kernel, I added a line to my
/etc/lilo.conf that looks like:

append="other_driver=option psmouse.proto=bare"

(the psmouse.proto=bare part is the only part really needed).

If I compiled the psmouse driver as a module (psmouse.o), then I added
the following to my /etc/modprobe.conf:

options psmouse proto=bare

then I can just 'modprobe psmouse' and the driver is installed.

Using the other options (imps and exps) didn't change the behavior
much. I had some strange issues with the cursor being occasionally
moved to the upper-right corner of the screen very quickly when I
dragged in the lower and the right sides of the touchpad. This
behavior, however, was not (yet) reproducible. If I can figure out how
to reproduce it reliably, I'll note it later.

@ 2005-01-01  4:00               ` Andrew Haninger
From: Andrew Haninger @ 2005-01-01  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Using the other options (imps and exps) didn't change the behavior
> much. I had some strange issues with the cursor being occasionally
> moved to the upper-right corner of the screen very quickly when I
> dragged in the lower and the right sides of the touchpad. This
> behavior, however, was not (yet) reproducible. If I can figure out how
> to reproduce it reliably, I'll note it later.

For what it's worth, I still haven't found exactly what is causing
this problem, but it has shown up more than once. It seems that it
might have something to do with repeatedly loading and unloading the
psmouse driver using different protocol options (proto=bare|imps|exps)
and loading and unloading gpm (I said gdm previously, which was a
mistake) using different -t (type) options (ps2|imps2|auto) and/or
different mouse devices (/dev/mouse or /dev/input/mice). I've done
lots of things to try to reproduce this behavior, but nothing yet
seems to make it happen every time.

I haven't used the laptop 'normally' very much yet, so I don't know if
this problem shows up in normal use or just under strange
circumstances like setup and testing.

When it does show up, the mouse cursor moves quickly up to the
upper-right corner of the display - be it the X display or on the
console with gpm - when the lower or right sides of the touchpad are
used. Using the other areas of the touchpad produces normal curser
movement.

I'll continue to test things to see what might be causing problems.
One thing I can contribute which showed up after this problem is an
Oops during a boot. It could be totally unrelated and it's only
happened once (a reboot produced no such Oops), but here it is:

Software Suspend 2.1.5.10: Suspending enabled.
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000004
 printing eip:
c01266e6
*pde = 00000000
Oops: 0001 [#1]
PREEMPT
Modules linked in:
CPU:    0
EIP:    0060:[<c01226e6>]    Not tainted VLI
EFLAGS: 00010083    (2.6.10)
EIP is at worker_thread+0x1e6/0x310
eax: 00000000   ebx: cbd0f04c   ecx: cbfe77b0   edx: 00000000
esi: cbd0f048   edi: cbfc9000   ebp: 00000283   esp: cbfc9f44
ds: 007b   es: 007b   ss: 0068
Process events/0 (pid: 3, threadinfo=cbf9000 task=cbfc3020)
Stack: 00000000 cbfc9f74 00000000 cbfe77b8 cbfc9000 cbfc9000 00000000 00000000
       cbfc9000 cbfe77a8 ffffffff ffffffff 00000001 00000000 c0112d10 00010000
       00000000 00000000 00000000 cbfc9000 00000000 cbfc3020 c0112d10 00100100
Call Trace:
 [<c0112d10>] default_wake_function+0x0/0x20
 [<c0112d10>] default_wake_function+0x0/0x20
 [<c0126500>] worker_thread+0x0/0x310
 [<c012ab0a>] kthread+0xba/0xc0
 [<c01012e5>] kernel_thread_helper+0x5/0x10
Code: 50 18 89 54 24 0c eb 0d 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90
8d 73 fc 8b 46 0c 89 44 24 1c 8b 56 10 89 54 24 18 8b 53 04
 8b 03 <89> 50 04 89 02 89 5b 04 89 1b 55 9d ff 4f 14 8b 47 08 83 e0 08
 <6>note: events/0[3] exited with preempt_count 1
Software Suspend 2.1.5.10: This is normal swap space.
Freeing unused kernel memory 160k freed
_

If anything looks odd or unlike normal Oops output, I was unable to
capture it digitally and so had to type it out longhand, which could
contribute to typos :-/ . Also, since it seems to have occured between
the swsusp code loading, I may need to submit it to those guys
instead.

HTH. Thanks.

-Andy