* 70+ typos in 2.4.22 + script to generate diffs
@ 2003-09-01 18:15 Stephane LOEUILLET
From: Stephane LOEUILLET @ 2003-09-01 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

hello,

i know, typos aren't really what real programers are looking to fix first
but if those aren't fixed, they would be reported ever and ever and ever

so, as i did not know what to do today, i started looking for a few common
typos and found around  70 different ones over the 2.4.22 tree. (some only
written once, others written several times)

as tracking typo is borring, i started to write a perl script that would :

- copy all files containing a know typo (from a separate file) from your
local linux tree (parameter : $KERNEL_SOURCE_ROOT) to a local directory
(parameter : $LOCAL_DIFF_DIR)

- replace all typo by its correct spelling for all know world

It's up to you to merge the diffs after the process is complete (around 1min
for 74 different typos scanning complete 2.4.22 with a Athl2600+)

The script : http://www.leroutier.net/kernel-typo-diffmaker.pl.txt
The typo list : http://www.leroutier.net/typos.base

(put them in the same dir)

then, look at the script (to see it won't "rm -fR / ; kill -9 0")
rename .pl.txt file to .pl then chmod 755 on it
edit both $KERNEL_SOURCE_ROOT and $LOCAL_DIFF_DIR to match your needs
then again, ./kernel-typo-diffmaker.pl

$KERNEL_SOURCE_ROOT could be either your local kernel source dir or one of
its sub-dirs (ex : /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/fs/ufs/)

if you find it useful, use it. if not, sorry.

Stephane LOEUILLET

* Re: 500 typos (94 uniques) fixed in 2.4.22 + link to diff included
@ 2003-09-01 22:19 ` Stephane LOEUILLET
       [not found]   ` <1062457091.18044.13.camel@localhost.localdomain>
From: Stephane LOEUILLET @ 2003-09-01 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> The script : http://www.leroutier.net/kernel-typo-diffmaker.pl.txt
> The typo list : http://www.leroutier.net/typos.base

latest version of typos.base contains 94 unique typos
(around 560, counting repetitions)

Generated diff available, against kernel 2.4.22 final :
http://www.leroutier.net/typos.diff.bz2

most part of changes are in comments, or in documentation but there are
some in code (incomming => incoming in bluetooth,X25 and interupt->
interrupt in ppc64,ipmi)

this diff contains 2 manually edited changes :
1) addresses => adresses : (in fact, revert to 2.4.22 code) : it is a comment
in french

2) errorr => error : i'll have to refine my script to deal with that one

That's all for now.

If you want one for 2.6, do it yourself using my script because i'm on a slow
link here (56Kb/s) and i don't have a recent dev-source actually here.

++

@ 2003-09-01 23:39     ` Dan Kegel
       [not found]       ` <1062464715.3477.2.camel@spc>
From: Dan Kegel @ 2003-09-01 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Perches; +Cc: Stephane LOEUILLET, elenstev, linux-kernel

Joe Perches wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 15:19, Stephane LOEUILLET wrote:
>
>>>The script : http://www.leroutier.net/kernel-typo-diffmaker.pl.txt
>>>The typo list : http://www.leroutier.net/typos.base
>

> Care to be a spelling cop?
>
> see: http://www.kegel.com/kerspell/
>
> Perhaps your list can be merged.

I now link to Stephane's script and post (thanks, Joe)
but haven't merged his list into mine.  Mine is a bit out
of date anyway - I think some of the spelling cops have a newer one.

Maybe it's time for a spelling cop mailing list to make
it easier to look through the archives for this kind of stuff.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com

* Re: 500 typos (94 uniques) fixed in 2.4.22 + link to diff included
@ 2003-09-02  1:00       ` Steven Cole
       [not found]       ` <1062464715.3477.2.camel@spc>
From: Steven Cole @ 2003-09-02  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Kegel; +Cc: Joe Perches, Stephane LOEUILLET, linux-kernel

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 17:39, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Joe Perches wrote:

> > Care to be a spelling cop?
> >
> > see: http://www.kegel.com/kerspell/
> >
> > Perhaps your list can be merged.
>
> I now link to Stephane's script and post (thanks, Joe)
> but haven't merged his list into mine.  Mine is a bit out
> of date anyway - I think some of the spelling cops have a newer one.

I'll send Dan my latest working copy of spell-fix.txt.

> Maybe it's time for a spelling cop mailing list to make
> it easier to look through the archives for this kind of stuff.
> - Dan

Probably overkill, but sillier mailing lists exist, so why not?

Steven

* Re: Latest copy of spell-fix.txt was Re: 500 typos (94 uniques) fixed in 2.4.22 + link to diff included
       [not found]       ` <1062464715.3477.2.camel@spc>
@ 2003-09-02  6:44         ` Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2003-09-02  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Cole, linux-kernel

Steven Cole wrote:
> Here is my latest copy of spell-fix.txt.  It probably needs some
> cleanup, since there are some sections like:
>
> word1=wrod1
> word1=wdro1
>
> instead of
>
> word1=wrod1,wdro1