* Linux on Intel Server Board SE7501WV2
@ 2003-09-11 17:39 Yaoping Ruan
From: Yaoping Ruan @ 2003-09-11 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

We plan to install Linux (2.4.21 and later with epoll patch) on an Intel
Server Board SE7501WV2 with 1 XEON 2.4GHz CPU, 4GB PC2100 DDR memory, and
a Seagate 120GB ATA 7200RPM harddisk, and use the server box for high
demand SpecWeb99 tests. Does anyone have any experience on this Server
Board, and see any compatibility problem here?

An other question about this box is the two on-board Gigabit Network
Controller. Do they work fine on Linux? May I use fiber Giganet NCI like
Netgear GA621 on it?

Any thoughts/information are welcome.

Thanks a lot

- Yaoping Ruan
*********************
Computer Science Dept.
Princeton University
*********************

* Re: Linux on Intel Server Board SE7501WV2
@ 2003-09-11 18:31 ` Samuel Flory
From: Samuel Flory @ 2003-09-11 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaoping Ruan; +Cc: linux-kernel

Yaoping Ruan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We plan to install Linux (2.4.21 and later with epoll patch) on an Intel
> Server Board SE7501WV2 with 1 XEON 2.4GHz CPU, 4GB PC2100 DDR memory, and
> a Seagate 120GB ATA 7200RPM harddisk, and use the server box for high
> demand SpecWeb99 tests. Does anyone have any experience on this Server
> Board, and see any compatibility problem here?

    No it should just work on 2.4.21.  You may want to try 2.4.22 if you
aren't using dma on harddrive. "hdparm -d /dev/hda"

> An other question about this box is the two on-board Gigabit Network
> Controller. Do they work fine on Linux?

   Yes with newer versions of the e1000 driver.  (2.4.21 should be new
enough.)  Newer kernel revs may have issues networking issues if you are
enabling acpi.  Try "pci=noacpi" if you have issues.

--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)

* Re: Linux on Intel Server Board SE7501WV2
@ 2003-09-11 18:46 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2003-09-11 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Iau, 2003-09-11 at 18:39, Yaoping Ruan wrote:
> We plan to install Linux (2.4.21 and later with epoll patch) on an Intel
> Server Board SE7501WV2 with 1 XEON 2.4GHz CPU, 4GB PC2100 DDR memory, and
> a Seagate 120GB ATA 7200RPM harddisk, and use the server box for high
> demand SpecWeb99 tests. Does anyone have any experience on this Server
> Board, and see any compatibility problem here?

It ought to run Specweb99 nicely if you load a tux enabled kernel and
tux enabled web servers on it. The lack of a real disk I/O subsystem may
well hurt a lot though

> An other question about this box is the two on-board Gigabit Network
> Controller. Do they work fine on Linux?

I believe so. Make sure the chips on the board support zero copy and
also interrupt mitigation, preferably also that NAPI capable drivers are
used if you are benching.