* [2.6.0-test4,5,6] [APM] when do you expect to get APM working again?
@ 2003-09-29 11:59 Michael Schierl
From: Michael Schierl @ 2003-09-29 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

i'm using an Acer Travelmate 210 TEV notebook. (Celeron 700).

I don't use any acpi, swsuspend, suspend-to-disk, only apm. (ACPI did
not work in test3, and since then I did not change anything on my
config, always did just 'make oldconfig'.

with kernels test1 to test3 i could say 'apm -s' to go to standby mode
and the computer woke up properly afterwards (with 2.4.20 kernel it
went down "properly" but crashed when it should wake up again).

Now, since test4 (up to test6) when i do an 'apm -s', i see messages
about the cdrom and the hd going down (i hear the hd going down as
well), but then neither the screen blanks nor the "Zzz" LED
(displaying that the notebook is in standby mode) goes on. I cannot do
anything then except pressing the power button long then - no way to
wake it up any more.

I read something about test4's power management totally f*cked up on
test4, so I did not "complain" then, but waited a bit first.

is that problem known? Should I try any patches?

TIA,

Michael
--
"New" PGP Key! User ID: Michael Schierl <schierlm@gmx.de>
Key ID: 0x58B48CDD    Size: 2048    Created: 26.03.2002

* Re: [2.6.0-test4,5,6] [APM] when do you expect to get APM working again?
@ 2003-09-29 13:10 ` Felipe Alfaro Solana
From: Felipe Alfaro Solana @ 2003-09-29 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schierlm; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 13:59, Michael Schierl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm using an Acer Travelmate 210 TEV notebook. (Celeron 700).
>
> I don't use any acpi, swsuspend, suspend-to-disk, only apm. (ACPI did
> not work in test3, and since then I did not change anything on my
> config, always did just 'make oldconfig'.
>
> with kernels test1 to test3 i could say 'apm -s' to go to standby mode
> and the computer woke up properly afterwards (with 2.4.20 kernel it
> went down "properly" but crashed when it should wake up again).

It's working fine for me, but I still need to unload some modules before
trying to suspend. In my case, I must remove the CardBus/PCMCIA modules,
the sound drivers and UHCI-HCD for my system to suspend and then resume
properly.

I have created a shell script which, when used with the "apmd" daemon,
makes things work automagically. Thus, simply by closing the lid, the
system suspends automatically.

* Re: [2.6.0-test4,5,6] [APM] when do you expect to get APM workingagain?
@ 2003-09-29 13:45   ` Michael Schierl
From: Michael Schierl @ 2003-09-29 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Alfaro Solana; +Cc: linux-kernel

Felipe Alfaro Solana schrieb:

> It's working fine for me, but I still need to unload some modules before
> trying to suspend. In my case, I must remove the CardBus/PCMCIA modules,
> the sound drivers and UHCI-HCD for my system to suspend and then resume
> properly.

i cannot unload those as I don't have any module support in my kernel
(and no current module-init-tools installed either) - one thing less
that one can do go wrong.

but i can try to remove support for them from the kernel to track
down the issue.

Michael

* Re: [2.6.0-test4,5,6] [APM] when do you expect to get APM workingagain?
@ 2003-09-29 19:09   ` Michael Schierl
From: Michael Schierl @ 2003-09-29 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Alfaro Solana; +Cc: linux-kernel

Felipe Alfaro Solana schrieb:

> It's working fine for me, but I still need to unload some modules before
> trying to suspend. In my case, I must remove the CardBus/PCMCIA modules,
> the sound drivers and UHCI-HCD for my system to suspend and then resume
> properly.

I now removed several things from my test6 kernel:

- CardBus/PCMCIA support
- Networking support
- Mouse support
- Sound support
- Parallel port support
- USB
- AGP
- Framebuffer support and all other graphics support except
  vga console
- IDE CDROM and floppy disk Support
- ISA bus support
- P'n'P support

and maybe some more things I forgot now

However, no change (except I get lots of errors from services while
booting) - it freezes after the hard disk is shut down.

Any other ideas?

Michael

* Re: [2.6.0-test4,5,6] [APM] when do you expect to get APM workingagain?
@ 2003-09-29 20:04     ` Felipe Alfaro Solana
From: Felipe Alfaro Solana @ 2003-09-29 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Schierl; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 21:09, Michael Schierl wrote:

> I now removed several things from my test6 kernel:
>
> - CardBus/PCMCIA support
> - Networking support
> - Mouse support
> - Sound support
> - Parallel port support
> - USB
> - AGP
> - Framebuffer support and all other graphics support except
>   vga console
> - IDE CDROM and floppy disk Support
> - ISA bus support
> - P'n'P support
>
> and maybe some more things I forgot now
>
> However, no change (except I get lots of errors from services while
> booting) - it freezes after the hard disk is shut down.
>
> Any other ideas?

No sorry, I don't have any ideas. I accidentally found my own solution
sometime ago when I booted into single mode and tried suspending,