* Re: Kernel include file
@ 2003-12-07 16:19 Neo Wee Teck
From: Neo Wee Teck @ 2003-12-07 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hahn; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hmm... wrong idea...

<new kernel>/include/linux

update to..

/usr/include/linux

Should I?

--- Mark Hahn <hahn@physics.mcmaster.ca> wrote:
>   After upgrading to a newer version of the kernel, should I also copy/update the include folder to  /usr/include?

no!  /usr/include is userspace, which shall never use kernel headers.
the headers you find in /usr/include that *look* like kernel headers
are in fact from glibc.

Linux.Net -->Open Source to everyone
Powered by Linare Corporation
http://www.linare.com/

* Re: Kernel include file
@ 2003-12-09  3:07 ` Matthew Reppert
From: Matthew Reppert @ 2003-12-09  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weeteck; +Cc: Mark Hahn, linux-kernel

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 10:19, Neo Wee Teck wrote:
> Hmm... wrong idea...
>
> <new kernel>/include/linux
>
> update to..
>
> /usr/include/linux
>
> Should I?

No.

The headers in /usr/include/linux "belong to" glibc and should never be
changed, as it may cause newly compiled programs to break in nasty and
subtle ways.

kernelnewbies.org has a nice FAQ item on this.

Matt

* Kernel include file
@ 2003-12-07 15:54 Neo Wee Teck
From: Neo Wee Teck @ 2003-12-07 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all,

  After upgrading to a newer version of the kernel, should I also copy/update the include folder to  /usr/include?

Cheers

Neo

Linux.Net -->Open Source to everyone