* kdb against memory corruption?
@ 2002-10-06 20:08 Andreas Schuldei
From: Andreas Schuldei @ 2002-10-06 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I think i found a case of memory corruption in the backport of
the linuxconsole-ruby patch to 2.4.19.

Some parts (not sure which yet) of the tty_struct get
overwritten. I do not yet know when that happens or how, but i
intend to find out with kdb and its bph brakepoint feature.

Unfortunatly my initial attempts to find the instance where the
memory segment gets corrupted failed. I specified a certain
address, a length of 4 byte and DATAW as arguments to the bph
command.

but reading the kdb manpage i get the impression that
startaddress and length have to match precisly:

DATAW   Enters  the  kernel  debugger  when  data of length
        length is written to the specified address.

how can i use this to find the cause of the corruption? Anyone
done this before? i would want to be alerted whenever anything
withing a certain memory range gets overwritten.