* setting up EFI on x86
@ 2004-12-01 14:29 Daniel Dickman
From: Daniel Dickman @ 2004-12-01 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I just got an older x86 desktop system and I wanted to learn about EFI
by booting the kernel using this instead of the older MBR-style boot
process. Does anyone know how I can set up such a system on x86?
Specifically, what tools can I use to create a GPT disk? Do I need a
special BIOS to do this?

Thanks for any help with this.

* Re: setting up EFI on x86
@ 2004-12-01 15:29 ` linux-os
From: linux-os @ 2004-12-01 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Dickman; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Daniel Dickman wrote:

> I just got an older x86 desktop system and I wanted to learn about EFI
> by booting the kernel using this instead of the older MBR-style boot
> process. Does anyone know how I can set up such a system on x86?
> Specifically, what tools can I use to create a GPT disk? Do I need a
> special BIOS to do this?
>
> Thanks for any help with this.
> -

This is the new  "thing" being pushed by WIN/Intel. I haven't seen
any motherboards that support it yet. All the new ones that come
into this place have a BIOS that loads the MBR and starts trucking
from there.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
  Notice : All mail here is now cached for review by John Ashcroft.
                  98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

* Re: setting up EFI on x86
@ 2004-12-01 16:41   ` Mathieu Fluhr
From: Mathieu Fluhr @ 2004-12-01 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Dickman; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello

EFI is basically used for the Intel Itanium processors, and I think if
your MB does not have such an EFI shell a startup, you will not be able
to use EFI.

Regards,
Mathieu

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 10:29 -0500, linux-os wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Daniel Dickman wrote:
>
> > I just got an older x86 desktop system and I wanted to learn about EFI
> > by booting the kernel using this instead of the older MBR-style boot
> > process. Does anyone know how I can set up such a system on x86?
> > Specifically, what tools can I use to create a GPT disk? Do I need a
> > special BIOS to do this?
> >
> > Thanks for any help with this.
> > -
>
> This is the new  "thing" being pushed by WIN/Intel. I haven't seen
> any motherboards that support it yet. All the new ones that come
> into this place have a BIOS that loads the MBR and starts trucking
> from there.
>
> Cheers,
> Dick Johnson
> Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
>   Notice : All mail here is now cached for review by John Ashcroft.
>                   98.36% of all statistics are fiction.
> -

* RE: setting up EFI on x86
@ 2004-12-01 15:13 Tolentino, Matthew E
From: Tolentino, Matthew E @ 2004-12-01 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Dickman; +Cc: linux-kernel, Matt Domsch

>I just got an older x86 desktop system and I wanted to learn about EFI
>by booting the kernel using this instead of the older MBR-style boot
>process. Does anyone know how I can set up such a system on x86?
>Specifically, what tools can I use to create a GPT disk? Do I need a
>special BIOS to do this?

None of the mainline distributions currently support installation from
EFI on x86.  I've heard rumors that Debian includes some support for
EFI, but I don't know specifics.  Thus, there are several contortions
required to set it up.

Typically, I would start with an installation of your favorite distro.
The difference is that I also include a vfat partition as this serves as
your EFI system partition.  Onto this, I copy the EFI bootloader and
kernels so that they are visible from EFI.   As for the GPT partioning,
Matt Domsch added GPT support into parted, so that should work for
creating a GPT disk.

EFI is the top-most interface to the firmware, whether that's a
traditional BIOS, or the Framework that Intel has been promoting.
Given that your older system doesn't have EFI in the flash, you'll
need to download the EFI sample implementation from
http://developer.intel.com/technology/efi/main_sample.htm.  The EFI
website include pre-built binaries of the sample implementation
source that is also available.  You can dd this onto a
floppy.  This permits one to bootstrap EFI from a floppy on top
of your existing BIOS.  You'll see it come up to the boot manager
and eventually the EFI shell.

>From there, you'll need to use the ELILO bootloader, which is
downloadable either in source or binary form from here:
http://elilo.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/blosxom.  Also in there
are various READMEs and guides for use.

Finally, make sure you build the kernel with CONFIG_EFI enabled.

I've been meaning to post more detailed instructions on a website
for this.  I'll try to get something posted soon.  Let me
know if you have further questions Daniel.

matt