* Intercepting system calls in Linux kernel 2.6.x
@ 2004-12-24  4:45 selvakumar nagendran
From: selvakumar nagendran @ 2004-12-24  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

 In linux kernel 2.6.x, what should we do to intercept
system calls? When I used sys_call_table from a
module, it returned the following error 'undefined
variable sys_call_table'. What is the way to export
system call table in kernel 2.6.x?

Thanks,
selva

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

* Re: Intercepting system calls in Linux kernel 2.6.x
@ 2004-12-24  5:40 ` Valdis.Kletnieks
From: Valdis.Kletnieks @ 2004-12-24  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selvakumar nagendran; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:45:53 PST, selvakumar nagendran said:
>  In linux kernel 2.6.x, what should we do to intercept
> system calls? When I used sys_call_table from a
> module, it returned the following error 'undefined
> variable sys_call_table'. What is the way to export
> system call table in kernel 2.6.x?

That's generally very deprecated.

What problem are you trying to solve by intercepting system calls? There
may very well be some other way to achieve what you're trying to do...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 226 bytes --]

* Re : Re: Intercepting system calls in Linux kernel 2.6.x
@ 2004-12-24  6:09   ` selvakumar nagendran
From: selvakumar nagendran @ 2004-12-24  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valdis.Kletnieks; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello,
     I want to save the system call parameters in a
table. I want to do this from the kernel module. For
that, I want to replace the already existing system
call handler by my own. Are there any other mechanisms
for doing this without exporting system call table? If
it is then plz suggest any one of them?

Thanks,
selva
--- Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:45:53 PST, selvakumar
> nagendran said:
> >  In linux kernel 2.6.x, what should we do to
> intercept
> > system calls? When I used sys_call_table from a
> > module, it returned the following error 'undefined
> > variable sys_call_table'. What is the way to
> export
> > system call table in kernel 2.6.x?
>
> That's generally very deprecated.
>
> What problem are you trying to solve by intercepting
> system calls? There
> may very well be some other way to achieve what
> you're trying to do...

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

* Re: Re : Re: Intercepting system calls in Linux kernel 2.6.x
@ 2004-12-24  9:11     ` Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2004-12-24  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selvakumar nagendran; +Cc: Valdis.Kletnieks, linux-kernel

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 22:09 -0800, selvakumar nagendran wrote:
> Hello,
>      I want to save the system call parameters in a
> table. I want to do this from the kernel module. For
> that, I want to replace the already existing system
> call handler by my own. Are there any other mechanisms
> for doing this without exporting system call table? If
> it is then plz suggest any one of them?

ewww

if you do this for auditing purposes... who not use the auditing
subsystem that is already there ?