* 2.6.10-ac2 - more cdrecord wierdness
@ 2005-01-03  4:08 Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2005-01-03  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel M/L

I am trying to write a backup CD. The first write goes fine, I have rw
permission on the device, I use /dev/hdc, all is fine. I can mount the
CD, read it, etc.

However - it was written with the -multi option so I can add things to
it, since most of my backups are 50MB at a time. When I try to get the
size (using a perl script) which does:
  cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc -msinfo
I get permission denied. Even if I set cdrecord setuid (as a test, I
don't run that way).

Back to ide-scsi, the perl program allows me to have the best features
of growisofs and some other usefulk features for backing up relatively
small datasets on a single CD.

Just a FYI - I assume there's a good reason why reading the unclosed
filesystem size would compromise security.

* Re: 2.6.10-ac2 - more cdrecord wierdness
@ 2005-01-03 15:52 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2005-01-03 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Davidsen; +Cc: Linux Kernel M/L

On Llu, 2005-01-03 at 04:08, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Just a FYI - I assume there's a good reason why reading the unclosed
> filesystem size would compromise security.

It may just be an oversight in the built in list of "safe" commands. Do
you know what command is being rejected ?

* Re: 2.6.10-ac2 - more cdrecord wierdness
@ 2005-01-03 17:21   ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2005-01-03 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: Linux Kernel M/L

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Llu, 2005-01-03 at 04:08, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > Just a FYI - I assume there's a good reason why reading the unclosed
> > filesystem size would compromise security.
>
> It may just be an oversight in the built in list of "safe" commands. Do
> you know what command is being rejected ?

Not yet. Finding out is on my to-do list for the weekend when I'm back
near that machine, but that weekend also has football playoffs, two hockey
games, a dinner and taking my wife to a movie. That means late Sunday
night is the most likely :-(

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc