From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
To: Richard Purdie <rpurdie@rpsys.net>
Subject: Re: Flaw in ide_unregister()
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:23:53 +0000	[thread overview]

On Llu, 2005-01-10 at 12:39, Richard Purdie wrote:
> Offloading this responsibility onto each and every driver seems rather
> rather unwise and will result in a lot of code duplication. Are there any
> circumstances where we need ide_unregister to abort on busy? Even if there
> are would a flag to indicate what it should do with a busy drive be better?

Currently there are four things in the -ac tree that use this feature

1.	ISA PnP, where we don't support hotplug (and anyway the only maker of
consumer hotpluggable ISA docking stations I know of - IBM - wont
provide docs on them)
2.	ide-cs
3.	delkin (cardbus IDE)
4.	PCI layer

Of those the PCI one is a common shared function so I put the supporting
logic in the IDE PCI helper function, The others need different handling
at the PCMCIA or Cardbus level in order to free up resources and clean
up.