* Re: 2.4.29, e100 and a WOL packet causes keventd going mad
@ 2005-01-30 17:18 David Härdeman
From: David Härdeman @ 2005-01-30 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: netdev

Hi,

I experience the same problems as reported by Michael Gernoth when
sending a WOL-packet to computer with a e100 NIC which is already
powered on.

In my case, it's running kernel 2.6.8.1 and the NIC is identified by
lspci as:
0000:02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet
Controller (rev 02)
or numerically:
0000:02:08.0 0200: 8086:1050 (rev 02)

The symptoms is that kacpid starts using all the CPU time it can, a
shutdown takes 5 - 10 minutes after I've done this (in contrast to 20 -
30 seconds when the machine is healthy).

Also, if I do a "shutdown -h" on the machine after sending a WOL packet
when it's already powered up, it will shutdown and immediately start up
again instead of powering off.

So, any suggestions on how to fix it?

Regards,
David

Please CC me on any replies.

* RE: 2.4.29, e100 and a WOL packet causes keventd going mad
@ 2005-01-31 19:26 Brandeburg, Jesse
From: Brandeburg, Jesse @ 2005-01-31 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sfeldma, ncunningham

>+static void e100_shutdown(struct device *dev)
>+{
>+	struct pci_dev *pdev = container_of(dev, struct pci_dev, dev);
>+	struct net_device *netdev = pci_get_drvdata(pdev);
>+	struct nic *nic = netdev_priv(netdev);
>+
>+	pci_enable_wake(pdev, PCI_D0, nic->flags & (wol_magic |
>e100_asf(nic)));
>+}
>+

Separately, does anyone think that the OS should be handling the PME event on the bus (as it comes from the PIC as an interrupt, and can be masked at the PIC) with a default handler?  The machines having the problem seem to be killed by an interrupt storm generated by the PME interrupt, just a guess.

Jesse

* 2.4.29, e100 and a WOL packet causes keventd going mad
@ 2005-01-28 16:48 Michael Gernoth
From: Michael Gernoth @ 2005-01-28 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Matthias Koerber

Hi,

we have about 70 P4 uniprocessor machines (some with Hyperthreading
capable CPUs) running linux 2.4.29, which are woken up on the weekdays
by sending a WOL packet to them. The machines all have a E100 nic with
WOL enabled in the bios. The E100 driver is compiled into the kernel
and not loaded as a module.

If the machine which should be woken up is already running (because
someone switched it on by hand), the WOL packet causes keventd to go
mad and "use" 100% CPU:

    2 root      15   0     0    0    0 R 99.9  0.0 140:50.94 keventd

This can be reproduced on any of the 70 machines by simply sending a WOL
packet to it, when it's already running... No entry is made in the
kernel log.

The dmesg of an affected machine can be found at:
http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~simigern/cip-dmesg
Our kernel-config is at:
http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~simigern/cip-generic-config
lspci -vvv is at:
http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~simigern/cip-lspci

We are using a kernel.org linux 2.4.29 kernel patched with the current
autofs patch and ACL support.

Regards,
  Michael