* Unsupported PM cap regs version 1
@ 2005-03-05 20:05 Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2005-03-05 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Every time I load the driver for my SBLive Platinum I get this log
message:

PCI: 0000:00:0f.0 has unsupported PM cap regs version (1)

even though CONFIG_PM is not set.

I see that this issue came up in January on LKML but there was no
resolution.

First, why don't we support PM cap regs versions other than 2?  Second,
why is this printk() necessary?  If we really don't support older
versions for a good reason, do we really need to constantly remind the
user about it?  Especially if power management is disabled?

The overall effect is to give the user the impression that the hardware
is somehow broken.

Lee

* Re: Unsupported PM cap regs version 1
@ 2005-03-06 20:06 ` Dominik Brodowski
From: Dominik Brodowski @ 2005-03-06 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Revell; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 03:05:35PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> Every time I load the driver for my SBLive Platinum I get this log
> message:
>
> PCI: 0000:00:0f.0 has unsupported PM cap regs version (1)

PM cap regs version 1 is handled in 2.6.11 yet again, the message should be
gone for this case by now.

> even though CONFIG_PM is not set.

PM caps are needed to activate devices, even if CONFIG_PM is not set.

	Dominik