* Re: remove CONFIG_UID16
       [not found] <5kCbe-45z-7@gated-at.bofh.it>
@ 2005-12-17 10:28 ` Bodo Eggert
From: Bodo Eggert @ 2005-12-17 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Bunk, linux-kernel

Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:

> It seems noone noticed that CONFIG_UID16 was accidentially always
> disabled in the latest -mm kernels.
>
> Is there any reason against removing it completely?

Maybe embedded systems.
--
Ich danke GMX dafür, die Verwendung meiner Adressen mittels per SPF
verbreiteten Lügen zu sabotieren.

* Re: remove CONFIG_UID16
@ 2005-12-17 18:29   ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2005-12-17 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7eggert; +Cc: Adrian Bunk, linux-kernel

On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 11:28 +0100, Bodo Eggert wrote:
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:
>
> > It seems noone noticed that CONFIG_UID16 was accidentially always
> > disabled in the latest -mm kernels.
> >
> > Is there any reason against removing it completely?
>
> Maybe embedded systems.

The comments in the code say it's for backwards compatibility:

(from include/linux/highuid.h)

 *
 * CONFIG_UID16 is defined if the given architecture needs to
 * support backwards compatibility for old system calls.
 *

This implies that removing it would break some applications, right?

Lee

* Re: remove CONFIG_UID16
@ 2005-12-21 22:33     ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2005-12-21 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Revell; +Cc: 7eggert, Adrian Bunk, linux-kernel

>> > It seems noone noticed that CONFIG_UID16 was accidentially always
>> > disabled in the latest -mm kernels.
>> >
>> > Is there any reason against removing it completely?
>>
>> Maybe embedded systems.
>
>The comments in the code say it's for backwards compatibility:
>
>(from include/linux/highuid.h)
>
> *
> * CONFIG_UID16 is defined if the given architecture needs to
> * support backwards compatibility for old system calls.
> *
>
>This implies that removing it would break some applications, right?

So what are the most recent apps that still use them, and for what kernel
were they originally designed?

Jan Engelhardt
--
| Alphagate Systems, http://alphagate.hopto.org/
| jengelh's site, http://jengelh.hopto.org/

* Re: remove CONFIG_UID16
@ 2005-12-21 23:23       ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2005-12-21 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: 7eggert, Adrian Bunk, linux-kernel

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 23:33 +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >> Maybe embedded systems.
> >
> >The comments in the code say it's for backwards compatibility:
> >
> >(from include/linux/highuid.h)
> >
> > *
> > * CONFIG_UID16 is defined if the given architecture needs to
> > * support backwards compatibility for old system calls.
> > *
> >
> >This implies that removing it would break some applications, right?
>

> So what are the most recent apps that still use them, and for what kernel
> were they originally designed?

I don't think this is a productive line of reasoning, even if we could
not identify one such app.  We should not break user visible APIs
without a compelling reason.

Lee

* Re: remove CONFIG_UID16
@ 2005-12-22 22:12     ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2005-12-22 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 01:18:07PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>
>>On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 05:44:10AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>>
>>>It seems noone noticed that CONFIG_UID16 was accidentially always
>>>disabled in the latest -mm kernels.
>>>
>>>Is there any reason against removing it completely?
>>
>>Yes, it breaks backwards-compatilbity for not even that old binaries.
>>
>>There's not way we're ever going to remove it.
>

> You are right.
>
> Sorry, this was a dumb idea

The question is, did you prove that (a) the people who need it are smart
enough to set it, or (b) the people who need it are not testing -mm kernels.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)

* Re: remove CONFIG_UID16
@ 2005-12-17 19:54 ` Matt Mackall
From: Matt Mackall @ 2005-12-17 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Bunk; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 05:44:10AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> It seems noone noticed that CONFIG_UID16 was accidentially always
> disabled in the latest -mm kernels.

Hmm, did I break it?

* Re: remove CONFIG_UID16
@ 2005-12-17 18:38   ` Adrian Bunk
From: Adrian Bunk @ 2005-12-17 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig, linux-kernel, Matt Mackall

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 01:18:07PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 05:44:10AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > It seems noone noticed that CONFIG_UID16 was accidentially always
> > disabled in the latest -mm kernels.
> >
> > Is there any reason against removing it completely?
>
> Yes, it breaks backwards-compatilbity for not even that old binaries.
>
> There's not way we're ever going to remove it.

You are right.

Sorry, this was a dumb idea

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

* Re: remove CONFIG_UID16
@ 2005-12-17 13:18 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2005-12-17 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Bunk; +Cc: linux-kernel, Matt Mackall

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 05:44:10AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> It seems noone noticed that CONFIG_UID16 was accidentially always
> disabled in the latest -mm kernels.
>
> Is there any reason against removing it completely?

Yes, it breaks backwards-compatilbity for not even that old binaries.

There's not way we're ever going to remove it.

* remove CONFIG_UID16
@ 2005-12-17  4:44 Adrian Bunk