* PROBLEM: PCI WiFi card works with livecd's but not with HD install with Ali mobo.
@ 2006-01-14 17:27 Matthew Marshall
From: Matthew Marshall @ 2006-01-14 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I am having problems using a DWL-G510 PCI 802.11g card (Atheros chipset) with
my ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2.  The really strange thing is that it works perfectly
fine with every live-cd I have tried, but always fails from a hd install.

The problem is that, instead of flashing, one of the lights on the card is
held constant, while the other remains off.  This happens with both
ndiswrapper and madwifi.  Both of these drivers work fine without a hitch in
both knoppix and slax.

This seems to be a bug with the driver for the southbridge (ULi M1567) as I
had the card working fine with another mobo (with the same distro.)

Here is my hardware setup:
ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2 (with ULi M1567 southbridge)
AMD64 3000+  (running in 32 bit mode)
ATI Radeon 9200 AGP  (probably not relevent)
DWL-G510 PCI 802.11g
Lite-On DVD Burner (on Primary IDE)
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 80GB (on SATA; possibly problematic?)

I am currently running kernel 2.6.15.  However, I have also tried a number of
other versions, including the -mm tree, and using the kernel and modules from
the Slax livecd.  There wasn't any difference.  pci=routeirq and noacip
doesn't seem to change anything either.

dmesg output (with autoloading ath_pci):
http://pastebin.com/505478

lspci -v output:
http://pastebin.com/505481

Some more observations:
ath_pci (madwifi) loads and unloads without reporting any errors.  However
modprobe ndiswrapper shows the following in dmesg:
http://pastebin.com/505525
modprobe -r ndiswraper segfaults.

I would really appreciate some help here.  Please let me know if there is
anything more I can do.  It seems that using a new/uncommon/weird chipset
like this is almost begging for trouble :D

Thanks for reading,
	Matthew Marshall

* Re: PROBLEM: PCI WiFi card works with livecd's but not with HD install with Ali mobo.
@ 2006-01-14 17:37 ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2006-01-14 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Marshall; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 14:27 -0300, Matthew Marshall wrote:
> I am having problems using a DWL-G510 PCI 802.11g card (Atheros chipset) with
> my ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2.  The really strange thing is that it works perfectly
> fine with every live-cd I have tried, but always fails from a hd install.
>
> The problem is that, instead of flashing, one of the lights on the card is
> held constant, while the other remains off.  This happens with both
> ndiswrapper and madwifi.  Both of these drivers work fine without a hitch in
> both knoppix and slax.

We can't help you with proprietary drivers on this list.  Can you
reproduce the problem with no proprietary drivers loaded?

Lee

* Re: PROBLEM: PCI WiFi card works with livecd's but not with HD install with Ali mobo.
@ 2006-01-14 17:45   ` Matthew Marshall
From: Matthew Marshall @ 2006-01-14 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Revell; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Saturday 14 January 2006 14:37, you wrote:
> We can't help you with proprietary drivers on this list.  Can you
> reproduce the problem with no proprietary drivers loaded?

I have a PCI Ethernet card I'll try with.

Since bother drivers had the same result, and they both worked fine with
another mobo, I thought it was a problem with the drivers for the mobo.  But,
I'll see if I get the same result with an untainted kernel.

Thanks,

@ 2006-01-14 17:46     ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2006-01-14 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Marshall; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 14:45 -0300, Matthew Marshall wrote:
> On Saturday 14 January 2006 14:37, you wrote:
> > We can't help you with proprietary drivers on this list.  Can you
> > reproduce the problem with no proprietary drivers loaded?
>
> I have a PCI Ethernet card I'll try with.
>
> Since bother drivers had the same result, and they both worked fine with
> another mobo, I thought it was a problem with the drivers for the mobo.  But,
> I'll see if I get the same result with an untainted kernel.

OK.

Anyone know why the MadWifi site does not say up front in big letters
that it's just a GPL'ed wrapper around a proprietary HAL?  To read the
Wiki you would think it's open source...

Lee

* Re: PROBLEM: PCI WiFi card works with livecd's but not with HD install with Ali mobo.
@ 2006-01-14 19:05       ` Matthew Marshall
From: Matthew Marshall @ 2006-01-14 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Revell; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Saturday 14 January 2006 14:46, you wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 14:45 -0300, Matthew Marshall wrote:
> > On Saturday 14 January 2006 14:37, you wrote:
> > > We can't help you with proprietary drivers on this list.  Can you
> > > reproduce the problem with no proprietary drivers loaded?
> >
> > I have a PCI Ethernet card I'll try with.
> >
> > Since bother drivers had the same result, and they both worked fine with
> > another mobo, I thought it was a problem with the drivers for the mobo.
> > But, I'll see if I get the same result with an untainted kernel.

I tried it with both an Ethernet adapter (realtek) and a pci sound card
(Creative SoundBlaster.)  The Ethernet adapter works fine with both live-cd
(slax) and hd-install (archlinux) but I can't get the the soundcard to work
with alsa on archlinux.  However, as it does play when using /dev/dsp2
strait, this is possibly a different problem.

I guess I'll go ask on the madwifi mailing list.  Sorry about the noise...

> Anyone know why the MadWifi site does not say up front in big letters
> that it's just a GPL'ed wrapper around a proprietary HAL?  To read the
> Wiki you would think it's open source...

My guess is that they're not to proud of that detail...

Any way, I had forgotten about that.  I suppose my 'same results with two
different drivers' reasoning melts away with that.

@ 2006-01-14 19:27         ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2006-01-14 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Marshall; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 16:05 -0300, Matthew Marshall wrote:
> I tried it with both an Ethernet adapter (realtek) and a pci sound
> card (Creative SoundBlaster.)

Unfortunately "Creative PCI Soundblaster" is no longer enough
information for us to identify the chipset, since Creative started
marketing the (inferior) CA0106 devices as "SoundBlaster Live!" as well.

Please report your soundcard problem to the alsa-user list and include
the output of "lspci -vn | grep -A1 0401".

Lee