* 2.6.16_rc1 psmouse hangs without KVM
@ 2006-01-20 16:15 Ernst Rohlicek jun.
From: Ernst Rohlicek jun. @ 2006-01-20 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello list,

My first post to the linux-kernel mailing list - a little report on
mouse hang experiences on a PS/2 mouse :-)

Since the change from 2.6.14 to 2.6.16_rc1, I got mouse hangs using a
first-generation MS IntelliEye Explorer with USB->PS2 converter, no KVM,
which ran smoothly on the official 2.6.14.

The syslog message is ...

   psmouse.c: resync failed, issuing reconnect request

and I have the exact symptoms - hang after about 10 sec mouse
inactivity, then after 2 secs it's back to normal - as described in the
thread ...

   Date     Mon, 9 Jan 2006 21:37:49 +0100
   Subject  Mouse stalls (again) with 2.6.15-mm2
   between Jesper Juhl and Dmitry Torokhov.
   (http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/1/9/313)

and a statement by Dmitry was to do resync retries every few seconds for
KVM users.

This certainly is a good idea for KVM users, but since Jesper and me are
counter-examples to this frequent resyncing, I suggest that this is made
an option in the kernel, like "KVM fixes - resync mouse in background".

I personally had to turn off resyncing using the suggested

   echo -n 0 > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioX/resync_time

to get back the expected fluent behavior, since without a KVM, there is
no automatic resyncing required ...

Of course I stand ready for corrections or for giving more detailed info
if required.

----
Ernst Rohlicek jun.

* Re: 2.6.16_rc1 psmouse hangs without KVM
@ 2006-01-20 16:38 ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2006-01-20 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ernst Rohlicek jun.; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 1/20/06, Ernst Rohlicek jun. <ernst.rohlicek@inode.at> wrote:

> Hello list,
>

> My first post to the linux-kernel mailing list - a little report on
> mouse hang experiences on a PS/2 mouse :-)
>

> Since the change from 2.6.14 to 2.6.16_rc1, I got mouse hangs using a
> first-generation MS IntelliEye Explorer with USB->PS2 converter, no KVM,
> which ran smoothly on the official 2.6.14.
>

> The syslog message is ...
>
>   psmouse.c: resync failed, issuing reconnect request
>
> and I have the exact symptoms - hang after about 10 sec mouse
> inactivity, then after 2 secs it's back to normal - as described in the
> thread ...

Ok, we need to fix that... Please to the following:

echo -n 5 > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioX/resync_time
echo 1 > /sys/modules/i8042/parameters/debug
... wait 10 seconds ...
move the mouse slightly
... wait another 10 seconds ...
move the mouse slighty again
echo 0 > /sys/modules/i8042/parameters/debug

and send me your dmesg (or better /var/log/messages or whatever file
you use for kernel messages).

Thanks!

--
Dmitry

* Re: 2.6.16_rc1 psmouse hangs without KVM
@ 2006-01-22 13:35   ` Michael Stiller
From: Michael Stiller @ 2006-01-22 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dtor_core; +Cc: linux-kernel

> > Since the change from 2.6.14 to 2.6.16_rc1, I got mouse hangs using a
> > first-generation MS IntelliEye Explorer with USB->PS2 converter, no KVM,
> > which ran smoothly on the official 2.6.14.
> >

> > The syslog message is ...
> >
> >   psmouse.c: resync failed, issuing reconnect request
> >
> > and I have the exact symptoms - hang after about 10 sec mouse
> > inactivity, then after 2 secs it's back to normal - as described in the
> > thread ...

I guess i may have related symptoms on 2.6.13-2.6.15.1.

During disk io (eg sorting you inbox with evolution) i get :

psmouse.c: TrackPoint at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization,
throwing 2 bytes away.

The system reacts very sluggish, in fact it is completly unusable.

There are also issues with the keyboard subsystem at that times.

-Michael