* Re: Looking for a file monitor
@ 2006-02-25  0:46 Chuck Ebbert
From: Chuck Ebbert @ 2006-02-25  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hareesh Nagarajan; +Cc: Diego Calleja, linux-kernel

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 at 11:02:20 -0600, Hareesh Nagarajan wrote:

> But if we want to keep a track of all the files that are opened, read,
> written or deleted (much like filemon; ``Filemon's timestamping feature
> will show you precisely when every open, read, write or delete, happens,
> and its status column tells you the outcome."), we can write a simple
> patch that makes a note of these events on the VFS layer, and then we
> could export this information to userspace, via relayfs. It wouldn't be
> too hard to code a relatively efficient implementation.

 Doesn't auditing do all this?

 I have Fedora Core 4 installed and it comes with the 'audit' RPM.

--
Chuck
"Equations are the Devil's sentences."  --Stephen Colbert

* Re: Looking for a file monitor
@ 2006-02-25  4:01 ` Hareesh Nagarajan
From: Hareesh Nagarajan @ 2006-02-25  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Ebbert; +Cc: Diego Calleja, linux-kernel

Chuck Ebbert wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 at 11:02:20 -0600, Hareesh Nagarajan wrote:
>
>> But if we want to keep a track of all the files that are opened, read,
>> written or deleted (much like filemon; ``Filemon's timestamping feature
>> will show you precisely when every open, read, write or delete, happens,
>> and its status column tells you the outcome."), we can write a simple
>> patch that makes a note of these events on the VFS layer, and then we
>> could export this information to userspace, via relayfs. It wouldn't be
>> too hard to code a relatively efficient implementation.
>
>  Doesn't auditing do all this?

I have no idea about auditing, but I would guess it internally uses inotify.

Hareesh

* Re: Looking for a file monitor
@ 2006-02-25  8:49   ` Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2006-02-25  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hareesh Nagarajan; +Cc: Chuck Ebbert, Diego Calleja, linux-kernel

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 22:01 -0600, Hareesh Nagarajan wrote:
> Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 at 11:02:20 -0600, Hareesh Nagarajan wrote:
> >
> >> But if we want to keep a track of all the files that are opened, read,
> >> written or deleted (much like filemon; ``Filemon's timestamping feature
> >> will show you precisely when every open, read, write or delete, happens,
> >> and its status column tells you the outcome."), we can write a simple
> >> patch that makes a note of these events on the VFS layer, and then we
> >> could export this information to userspace, via relayfs. It wouldn't be
> >> too hard to code a relatively efficient implementation.
> >
> >  Doesn't auditing do all this?
>
> I have no idea about auditing, but I would guess it internally uses inotify.

it doesn't; it uses the audit framework which, by the way, exactly does
what the proposed patch above would do :)

* Re: Looking for a file monitor
@ 2006-02-25  4:00         ` Hareesh Nagarajan
From: Hareesh Nagarajan @ 2006-02-25  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Hu; +Cc: Diego Calleja, linux-kernel

Wei Hu wrote:
> Yeah, that's basically what I'm looking for.
> So is it correct that I can keep track of all the actions as inotify events?

Yes, you can. I just looked at the defn of sys_open and I see that
	fsnotify_open(f->f_dentry);
gets called, which internally calls:
	inotify_dentry_parent_queue_event(...) and,
	inotify_inode_queue_event(...)

Do check out inotify. The same applies to other generic operations on
the VFS layer.

Hareesh

* Re: Looking for a file monitor
@ 2006-02-25  0:40       ` Wei Hu
From: Wei Hu @ 2006-02-25  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hareesh Nagarajan; +Cc: Diego Calleja, linux-kernel

@ 2006-02-24 17:02     ` Hareesh Nagarajan
From: Hareesh Nagarajan @ 2006-02-24 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Calleja; +Cc: glegoo, linux-kernel

Diego Calleja wrote:
> El Fri, 24 Feb 2006 02:06:27 -0600,
> Hareesh Nagarajan <hnagar2@gmail.com> escribió:
>

>> dnotify has been succeeded by inotify. check the link below:
>> 	http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/inotify/README
>
> IIRC, inotify is not the best thing for examining system-wide events.
> Monitoring of directories is not recursive (neither it should, i think)
> so to examine the whole system you would need to need thousands of
> watches.

Surely.

       [not found] ` <43FEC9EC.7080902@dawes.za.net>
@ 2006-02-24 15:03   ` Wei Hu
From: Wei Hu @ 2006-02-24 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rogan Dawes; +Cc: linux-kernel

> It looks to me like you could use an LD_PRELOAD'ed library to monitor
> such events?

That's a good idea.
Is there an existing tool, or do I need to write a system call wrapper?

> Alternatively, consider something like the honeynet monitoring kernel
> monitor module, perhaps.

Could you give more information here?
I'm not familiar with honeynet, thanks.

@ 2006-02-24 12:05   ` Diego Calleja
From: Diego Calleja @ 2006-02-24 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hareesh Nagarajan; +Cc: glegoo, linux-kernel

@ 2006-02-24  8:38   ` Wei Hu
From: Wei Hu @ 2006-02-24  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hareesh Nagarajan; +Cc: linux-kernel

Thanks for the information.
I understand inotify is a replacement for dnotify.
But I still don't get the advantages of it.
What kind of events can I watch?

@ 2006-02-24  8:06 ` Hareesh Nagarajan
       [not found] ` <43FEC9EC.7080902@dawes.za.net>
From: Hareesh Nagarajan @ 2006-02-24  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Hu; +Cc: linux-kernel

Wei Hu wrote:
> I looked into dnotify but it was not what I'm looking for.  I want a
> monitor program that can intercept all file access of any process that
> satisfy a given filter.  Is there a program?  I searched on Google but
> had no luck.

dnotify has been succeeded by inotify. check the link below:
	http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/inotify/README

./hareesh

* Looking for a file monitor
@ 2006-02-24  7:51 Wei Hu
       [not found] ` <43FEC9EC.7080902@dawes.za.net>
From: Wei Hu @ 2006-02-24  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi there,

I'm looking for a file monitor for Linux, basically like filemon
(http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html) for Windows.  But
it looks like filemon for Linux has been discontinued.

I looked into dnotify but it was not what I'm looking for.  I want a
monitor program that can intercept all file access of any process that
satisfy a given filter.  Is there a program?  I searched on Google but
had no luck.

Thanks,
Wei