* E1000 zero copy
@ 2006-06-20  6:55 Heng Du
From: Heng Du @ 2006-06-20  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-net

Hi all,

I want to know if there is an existing patch to e1000 network driver
to enable zero copy.
If so, can you share me with it?
If not, is it accepable if I submit a patch?
Many thanks

Regards,
-Debbie

* Re: E1000 zero copy
@ 2006-06-20  8:17 ` Arjan van de Ven
       [not found]   ` <8C8631AA59959A1-528-3CB0@FWM-D36.sysops.aol.com>
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2006-06-20  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heng Du; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-net

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 14:55 +0800, Heng Du wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to know if there is an existing patch to e1000 network driver
> to enable zero copy.
> If so, can you share me with it?
> If not, is it accepable if I submit a patch?
> Many thanks

Hi,

The e1000 driver supports zero copy for sending already for a long time
(if I remember correctly, since 2.4.3 kernel or so) already. Zero copy
receive is a much harder issue, and for that you need more
infrastructure; I think the IOAT patches that got merged last night in
the post-2.6.17 tree will help for that, but I do not know if what got
merged is sufficient already for full support.
I hope this answers your question; if not I would like to ask you to
explain in more detail what you mean by "enable zero copy"...

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven

* Dropped TCP connections with 2.6.X kernel
       [not found]   ` <8C8631AA59959A1-528-3CB0@FWM-D36.sysops.aol.com>
@ 2006-06-22  7:28     ` daveflinux
From: daveflinux @ 2006-06-22  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-net

 Hi,

 We're using a 2.6.X kernel,
  and are experiencing intermittent dropped connections when the number
of concurrent connections exceeds ~ 1000.

  Does anybody have any insight into what might be happening here and/or
troubleshooting techniques
 for isolating the problem.
 What system resources is TCP dependent on?

 Many thanks,
 Dave

* Re: Dropped TCP connections with 2.6.X kernel
@ 2006-06-22 11:49       ` Chris Boot
From: Chris Boot @ 2006-06-22 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daveflinux; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-net

daveflinux@aim.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're using a 2.6.X kernel,
>  and are experiencing intermittent dropped connections when the number
> of concurrent connections exceeds ~ 1000.
>
>  Does anybody have any insight into what might be happening here
> and/or troubleshooting techniques
> for isolating the problem.
> What system resources is TCP dependent on?
>
> Many thanks,
> Dave

Are all these connections handled by a single process? If so, you're
probably running into the limit of open file descriptors (1024 usually).
Look at 'help ulimit' to see how to increase the limit.

HTH,
Chris