* Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections and Nomination process
@ 2013-10-23  7:40 James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2013-10-23  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tech Board Discuss; +Cc: ksummit-2013-discuss, linux-kernel

[There's apparently been some problem with the tech-board-discuss list.
We've flushed the queue and a mail nearly a year old also popped out.
Hopefully it will work now]

The elections for five of the ten members of the Linux Foundation
Technical Advisory Board[TAB] are held every year. Currently the
election will be at the 2013 Kernel Summit in Edinburgh on the evening
of 23 October and will be open to all attendees of the weeks events
(Kernel Summit, LinuxCon, ELC etc.).

Anyone is eligible to stand for election, simply send your nomination
to:

Tech-board-discuss@lists.linux-foundation.org

We currently have ten nominees for five places:

The current incumbents who are all standing again:

Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>
Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net>
Hugh Blemings <hugh@blemings.org>
Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>

And five aspirants:

Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org>
Sarah Sharp <sarah.a.sharp@linux.intel.com>
Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>
Grant Likely <grant.likely@secretlab.ca>
Josh Triplett <josh@kernel.org>

The deadline for receiving nominations is up until the beginning of the
event where the election is held (Currently thought to be the evening of
23 October British Summer Time). Although, please remember if you'renot
going to be present that things go wrong with both networks and mailing
lists, so get your nomination in early).

Since we now have an election, it will be held in the event at the
National Museum tonight (Wednesday 23 October), probably around 21:30
(Kernel Summit attendees have a separate dinner, so we all need time to
get over to the Museum).  Each candidate will give a short nomination
pitch and then all those present will get to vote by a show of hands for
their preferred set.

James Bottomley (TAB Chair)

* Re: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections and Nomination process
@ 2013-10-23  9:54 ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2013-10-23  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tech Board Discuss; +Cc: ksummit-2013-discuss, linux-kernel

On Wed, 2013-10-23 at 08:40 +0100, James Bottomley wrote:
> Since we now have an election, it will be held in the event at the
> National Museum tonight (Wednesday 23 October), probably around 21:30
> (Kernel Summit attendees have a separate dinner, so we all need time to
> get over to the Museum).  Each candidate will give a short nomination
> pitch and then all those present will get to vote by a show of hands for
> their preferred set.

Correction to the time.  Apparently the Bagpipes are starting at the
National Museum at 21:30 so We'll try to have the election as close to
21:00 as we can manage.  We're hoping the promise of whisky tastings
will get the KS people out of dinner in time.

For those people who nominated but won't be present, we'll get a
trustworthy person to read out your nomination email in lieu of you
actually giving your pitch.

James

* Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections and Nomination process
@ 2016-10-14 20:32 Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2016-10-14 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,

The elections for five of the ten members of the Linux Foundation
Technical Advisory Board (TAB) are held every year[1]. This year the
election will be at the 2016 Kernel Summit in Santa Fe, NM.

The elections will take place at the conference center on Wednesday Nov
2nd, shortly before the evening Kernel Summit/Plumbers reception.  The
elections will be open to all attendees of both the Kernel Summit and
the Linux Plumbers.

Anyone is eligible to stand for election, simply send your nomination to:

tech-board-discuss at lists.linux-foundation.org

Just before the election, everyone will have a chance to introduce
themselves and briefly talk about why they would like to participate on
the Technical Advisory Board.   This year, we're encouraging everyone to
include those details along with their nomination, which we will compile
into an online document for quick reference.

The deadline for receiving nominations is up until the beginning of
the event where the election is held.  Any statements for the online
document need to be sent by Friday Oct 28th.  Please remember if
you're not going to be present that things go wrong with both networks
and mailing lists, so get your nomination in early).

Chris Mason, TAB Chair

[1] TAB members sit for a term of two years, and half of the board is up
for election every year. Five of the seats are up for election now.
The other five are halfway through their term and will be up for
election next year.

* Re: Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections and Nomination process
@ 2015-10-25  8:43     ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2015-10-25  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
	ksummit-discuss

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Grant Likely <glikely@secretlab.ca> wrote:
> Final reminder and update:
>
> The TAB elections will be held at 6:00pm tomorrow evening, Monday
> October 26th during the evening booth-crawl and reception in the Park
> Studio room. We will start at 6:00 sharp. Don't be late.
>
> Agenda:
> 1) Welcome and brief summary of what the TAB does
> 2) Questions
> 3) Last call for nominations
> 4) Candidate statements. Candidates will each have 1 minute to make a
> brief statement. Candidates who are unable to attend can provide a
> written statement to be read out.
> 5) Review of polling procedure
> 6) Polling
>
> The doors to the room will be closed at the start of polling. You must
> be in the room by that time if you intend to cast a ballot. Polling
> will be conducted by secret paper ballot and a privacy shield will be
> provided. Voters must exit the room after casting their ballot.
>
> Counting shall be performed by 2 or 3 neutral people after polling has
> completed. Results will be provided by email to the mailing lists
> later that same evening.
>
> Currently we have 15 candidates for 5 seats. The current nominations
> are (in alphabetical order):
> Kees Cook
> Jon Corbet
> Thomas Gleixner
> Stephen Hemminger
> Olof Johansson
> Shuah Khan
> Greg Kroah-Hartman
> Kurt H Maier
> Steven Rostedt
> Dave Taht
> Josh Triplett
> Theodore Ts'o
> Sage Weil
> Dan Williams
> Rafael Wysocki

and Andy Lutomirski makes 16.

That's it. Any nominations received after this point will not make it
onto the pre-printed ballot. (Nominations are still open. There are
blank spaces on the ballot for writing in other names)

g.

* Re: Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections and Nomination process
@ 2015-10-25  8:06   ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2015-10-25  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
	ksummit-discuss

@ 2015-10-20  0:54 ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2015-10-20  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
	ksummit-discuss

@ 2015-10-14 17:48       ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2015-10-14 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil
	tech-board, ksummit-discuss

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Sage Weil <sage@newdream.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2015, Grant Likely wrote:
>> On 11 Oct 2015 05:20, "Ric Wheeler" <ricwheeler@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I would like to nominate Sage Weil with his consent.
>> >
>> > Sage has lead the ceph project since its inception, contributed to the
>> kernel as well as had an influence on projects like openstack.
>>
>> Sage, what say you? Do you accept your nomination?
>
> I do!

Thanks Sage. You're on the list.

g.

* Re: Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections and Nomination process
       [not found]   ` <CACxGe6u3TLbwKneogZ+ub9FtkR7=SDct1yyMJw+ispaMTqi=-w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2015-10-13 13:09     ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2015-10-13 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely
	tech-board, ksummit-discuss

@ 2015-10-13  5:19 ` Kees Cook
From: Kees Cook @ 2015-10-13  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely
	ksummit-discuss

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 3:06 AM, Grant Likely <glikely@secretlab.ca> wrote:
> [Resending because I messed up the first one]
>
> The elections for five of the ten members of the Linux Foundation
> Technical Advisory Board (TAB) are held every year[1]. This year the
> election will be at the 2015 Kernel Summit in Seoul, South Korea
> (probably on the Monday, 26 October) and will be open to all attendees
> of both Kernel Summit and Korea Linux Forum.
>
> Anyone is eligible to stand for election, simply send your nomination to:
>
> Tech-board-discuss@lists.linux-foundation.org
>
> We currently have 3 nominees for five places:
> Thomas Gleixner
> Greg Kroah-Hartman
> Stephen Hemminger

I'd like to nominate myself to stand for a place on the TAB. I'll be
physically at Kernel Summit.

Thanks!

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Chrome OS Security

* Re: Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections and Nomination process
@ 2015-10-11  4:20 ` Ric Wheeler
       [not found]   ` <CACxGe6u3TLbwKneogZ+ub9FtkR7=SDct1yyMJw+ispaMTqi=-w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ric Wheeler @ 2015-10-11  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely, tech-board, Tech Board Discuss,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, lwn, ksummit-discuss, Sage Weil

I would like to nominate Sage Weil with his consent.

Sage has lead the ceph project since its inception, contributed to the kernel as
well as had an influence on projects like openstack.

thanks!

Ric

On 10/06/2015 01:06 PM, Grant Likely wrote:
> [Resending because I messed up the first one]
>
> The elections for five of the ten members of the Linux Foundation
> Technical Advisory Board (TAB) are held every year[1]. This year the
> election will be at the 2015 Kernel Summit in Seoul, South Korea
> (probably on the Monday, 26 October) and will be open to all attendees
> of both Kernel Summit and Korea Linux Forum.
>
> Anyone is eligible to stand for election, simply send your nomination to:
>
> Tech-board-discuss@lists.linux-foundation.org
>
> We currently have 3 nominees for five places:
> Thomas Gleixner
> Greg Kroah-Hartman
> Stephen Hemminger
>
> The deadline for receiving nominations is up until the beginning of
> the event where the election is held. Although, please remember if
> you're not going to be present that things go wrong with both networks
> and mailing lists, so get your nomination in early).
>
> Grant Likely, TAB Chair
>
> [1] TAB members sit for a term of 2 years, and half of the board is up
> for election every year. Five of the seats are up for election now.
> The other five are half way through their term and will be up for
> election next year. The history of the TAB elections can be found
> here:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jGLQtul0taSRq_opYzJFALI7_34cS4RMS1_YQoTNCKA/edit#gid=0

* Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections and Nomination process
@ 2015-10-06 10:06 Grant Likely
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Grant Likely @ 2015-10-06 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
	ksummit-discuss

@ 2014-08-19 14:43   ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2014-08-19 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley, Tech Board Discuss; +Cc: ksummit-discuss, linux-kernel

On 08/18/14 13:13, James Bottomley wrote:

> We still have only 3 nominations for 5 places, So we'll do a last call
> for nominations at 20:00 and if there are five or fewer, there won't be
> an election and the TAB will use its charter process to appoint people
> to fill any shortfall.

Please add my name to the nominations list also.

Thanks.

--
~Randy

* Re: Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections and Nomination process
@ 2014-08-18 20:13 ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2014-08-18 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tech Board Discuss; +Cc: ksummit-discuss, linux-kernel

On Tue, 2014-07-15 at 14:48 -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> The elections for five of the ten members of the Linux Foundation
> Technical Advisory Board[TAB] are held every year. Currently the
> election will be at the 2014 Kernel Summit in Chicago, USA, at one of
> the Joint events (probably on the Wednesday 20 August) and will be open
> to all attendees of the Weeks events (Kernel Summit, LinuxCon and other
> summits).
>
> Anyone is eligible to stand for election, simply send your nomination
> to:
>
> Tech-board-discuss@lists.linux-foundation.org
>
> We currently have three nominees for five places:
>
> Chris Mason <chris.mason@fusionio.com>

Thanks to everyone for the corrections: Chris does work at Facebook now,
so his address is clm@fb.com (I should have checked before cutting and
pasting from two years ago).

> James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com>
> John W. Linville <linville@tuxdriver.com>
>
> The deadline for receiving nominations is up until the beginning of the
> event where the election is held (Currently thought to be the evening of
> August 20th Central Daylight Time). Although, please remember if you're
> not going to be present that things go wrong with both networks and
> mailing lists, so get your nomination in early).

The Time and Place for the election will be 20:00 at the Museum of
Science and Industry on Wednesday 20 August (The joint KS/LinuxCon
event).

@ 2014-07-15 21:48 James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2014-07-15 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tech Board Discuss; +Cc: ksummit-discuss, linux-kernel

@ 2013-10-14 18:01 James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2013-10-14 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tech Board Discuss; +Cc: ksummit-2013-discuss, linux-kernel

The elections for five of the ten members of the Linux Foundation
Technical Advisory Board[TAB] are held every year. Currently the
election will be at the 2013 Kernel Summit in Edinburgh at one of the
Joint events (probably on the Wednesday 23 October) and will be open to
all attendees of the weeks events (Kernel Summit, LinuxCon and ELC).

Anyone is eligible to stand for election, simply send your nomination
to:

Tech-board-discuss@lists.linux-foundation.org

We currently have four nominees (the incumbents):

@ 2012-07-06 13:49 James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2012-07-06 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tech Board Discuss; +Cc: ksummit-2012-discuss, linux-kernel

The elections for five of the ten members of the Linux Foundation
Technical Advisory Board[TAB] are held every year. Currently the
election will be at the 2011 Kernel Summit at one of the Joint events
(probably on the Wednesday 29 August) and will be open to all attendees
of the Weeks events (Kernel Summit, LinuxCon and Plumbers).

Anyone is eligible to stand for election, simply send your nomination
to:

Tech-board-discuss@lists.linux-foundation.org

We currently have four nominees (the incumbents):

Chris Mason <chris.mason@fusionio.com>
Hugh Blemings <hugh@blemings.org>
James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com>
John W. Linville <linville@tuxdriver.com>

The deadline for receiving nominations is up until the beginning of the
event where the election is held (Currently thought to be the evening of
August 29th Pacific Daylight Time). Although, please remember if you're

@ 2010-10-20 20:42   ` Daniel Walker
From: Daniel Walker @ 2010-10-20 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap
  Cc: James Bottomley, Tech Board Discuss, linux-kernel, ksummit-2010-discuss

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 11:02 -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:

> I suppose that nominees will make a statement about their qualifications
> (or at least be allowed to do so).
>
> What does the TAB do?  What has it done in the past year or two?
>
> There are no recent meeting minutes at
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/programs/advisory-councils/tab
> to try to evaluate anything about the TAB afaict.

I'm curious about the same things .. I read the minutes, but it's hard
to know what was accomplished .. I thought it would be fun to nominate
myself, but the only reason I would want to win is so I can say "I'm on
the TAB." and that's not a very good agenda ..

Daniel

* Re: Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections and Nomination process
@ 2010-10-20 18:42 ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2010-10-20 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley; +Cc: Tech Board Discuss, linux-kernel, ksummit-2010-discuss

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:00:54AM -0400, James Bottomley wrote:
> The elections for five of the ten members of the Linux Foundation
> Technical Advisory Board[TAB] are held every year, currently the
> election will be at the 2010 Kernel Summit in a BoF session on Tuesday
> at Jillians (The Joint KS/Plumbers Reception on 2 November).  The idea
> is to be open to both KS and Plumbers attendees who wish to vote.
>
> Anyone is eligible to stand for election, simply send your nomination
> to:
>
> Tech-board-discuss@lists.linux-foundation.org

I would like to place my name into consideration.

Many of you have at least some idea of who I am.  For others, a
few highlights:

	-- wireless LAN maintainer since early-2006

	-- Red Hat employee since mid-2004; and,

	-- prior experience developing embedded software
	   for networking boxes (i.e. switches and routers), including
	   some time as "the Linux guy" at a startup.

In my time as a public member of the Linux community, I think I have
demonstrated the ability to facilitate cooperation between individual
contributors, distributions, and hardware vendors.  I've 'been around'
long enough to know the 'lay of the land' for getting things done,
and I have good relationships with a variety of community members
including members of other firms and staff at community organizations
such as the Linux Foundation and the Software Freedom Law Center.

As for an agenda, I don't really have one.  As Randy attempts to
illustrate, what the TAB does is not always clear to those of us who
aren't members of it.  That said, my goal is simply to exercise my best
judgment while representing the community at large and to give good
council to the Linux Foundation on how best to serve that community.

Thanks,

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Re: Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections and Nomination process
@ 2010-10-20 18:02 ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2010-10-20 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley; +Cc: Tech Board Discuss, linux-kernel, ksummit-2010-discuss

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:00:54 -0400 James Bottomley wrote:

> The elections for five of the ten members of the Linux Foundation
> Technical Advisory Board[TAB] are held every year, currently the
> election will be at the 2010 Kernel Summit in a BoF session on Tuesday
> at Jillians (The Joint KS/Plumbers Reception on 2 November).  The idea
> is to be open to both KS and Plumbers attendees who wish to vote.
>
> Anyone is eligible to stand for election, simply send your nomination
> to:
>
> Tech-board-discuss@lists.linux-foundation.org

I suppose that nominees will make a statement about their qualifications
(or at least be allowed to do so).

What does the TAB do?  What has it done in the past year or two?

There are no recent meeting minutes at
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/programs/advisory-councils/tab
to try to evaluate anything about the TAB afaict.

thanks,
---
~Randy

* Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections and Nomination process
@ 2010-10-15 14:00 James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2010-10-15 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tech Board Discuss; +Cc: linux-kernel, ksummit-2010-discuss

The elections for five of the ten members of the Linux Foundation
Technical Advisory Board[TAB] are held every year, currently the
election will be at the 2010 Kernel Summit in a BoF session on Tuesday
at Jillians (The Joint KS/Plumbers Reception on 2 November).  The idea
is to be open to both KS and Plumbers attendees who wish to vote.

Anyone is eligible to stand for election, simply send your nomination
to:

Tech-board-discuss@lists.linux-foundation.org

We currently have two nominees (the incumbents):

James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@hansenpartnership.com>
Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com>

The deadline for receiving nominations is up until the beginning of the
event where the election is held (on the Evening of 2 November Eastern

@ 2009-10-01 18:20 James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2009-10-01 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tech Board Discuss; +Cc: ksummit-2009-discuss, linux-kernel

The elections for five of the ten members of the Linux Foundation
Technical Advisory Board[TAB] are held every year, currently the
election will be at the 2009 Kernel Summit in a BoF session on Tuesday
just after the close of the Kernel Summit proper.  The idea is to be
open to both KS and JLS attendees who wish to vote (should a joint event
between KS and JLS on Tuesday turn up, it will be held there instead).

Anyone is eligible to stand for election, simply send your nomination
to:

Tech-board-discuss@lists.linux-foundation.org

We currently have Five nominees (the incumbents):

Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Christoph Lameter <christoph@lameter.com>
Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net>
Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org>
Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>

The deadline for receiving nominations is up until the BoF where the
election is held (on the Evening of 19 October Japan time). Although,