* Working reiserfsck?
@ 2001-08-02 13:30 Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2001-08-02 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi!

On one of my machines, I installed reiserfs on / fs.... and got to habit
of just powering that machine down with powerswitch. I was running
various kernels at least from 2.4.3 on it.

Now I tried to run reiserfsck, and (besides it having very ugly UI) it
reported some problems. Question is, how to correct those? reiserfsck
attitude seems to be "run me and I'll kill your filesystem". Is it really
that dangerous? Where to get working reiserfsck?
								Pavel

* Re: Working reiserfsck?
@ 2001-08-07 15:26 ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2001-08-07 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek, linux-kernel

On Thursday, August 02, 2001 01:30:55 PM +0000 Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On one of my machines, I installed reiserfs on / fs.... and got to habit
> of just powering that machine down with powerswitch. I was running
> various kernels at least from 2.4.3 on it.
>
> Now I tried to run reiserfsck, and (besides it having very ugly UI) it
> reported some problems. Question is, how to correct those? reiserfsck
> attitude seems to be "run me and I'll kill your filesystem". Is it really
> that dangerous? Where to get working reiserfsck?
> 								Pavel

The best reiserfsck version right now is in
ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiserfsprogs/pre

It should fix the problem, backups are always handy though.

-chris

* Re: Working reiserfsck?
@ 2001-08-08  0:55 ` Aaron Smith
From: Aaron Smith @ 2001-08-08  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 01:30:55PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On one of my machines, I installed reiserfs on / fs.... and got to habit
> of just powering that machine down with powerswitch. I was running
> various kernels at least from 2.4.3 on it.
>
> Now I tried to run reiserfsck, and (besides it having very ugly UI) it
> reported some problems. Question is, how to correct those? reiserfsck
> attitude seems to be "run me and I'll kill your filesystem". Is it really
> that dangerous? Where to get working reiserfsck?
> 								Pavel
> --
> Philips Velo 1: 1"x4"x8", 300gram, 60, 12MB, 40bogomips, linux, mutt,
> details at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/velo/index.html.
>
> -

is the filesystem mounted?
--
-Aaron

If knowledge is power, and power is sexy, then why don't I have a girlfriend?

* Re: Working reiserfsck?
@ 2001-08-09 16:15   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2001-08-09 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Smith, linux-kernel

Hi!

> > On one of my machines, I installed reiserfs on / fs.... and got to habit
> > of just powering that machine down with powerswitch. I was running
> > various kernels at least from 2.4.3 on it.
> >
> > Now I tried to run reiserfsck, and (besides it having very ugly UI) it
> > reported some problems. Question is, how to correct those? reiserfsck
> > attitude seems to be "run me and I'll kill your filesystem". Is it really
> > that dangerous? Where to get working reiserfsck?
>
> is the filesystem mounted?

Yep, mounted readonly on /.

You reminded me of another question: When should be reiserfsck run?

Machine crashes.

Should I run reiserfsck after booting from floppy, or should I mount
and umount to let log be replayed?
								Pavel
PS: Oh, btw, I tried lftp ftp.namesys.com:/pub/reiserfsprogs/pre, and
it did not finish within 10 minutes. I'll retry in the night.
--
I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at discuss@linmodems.org