* linux-next: manual merge of the scsi tree with the tip tree
@ 2017-01-20  3:23 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2017-01-20  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley, Thomas Gleixner, Ingo Molnar, H. Peter Anvin,
	Peter Zijlstra
  Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Martin K. Petersen

Hi James,

Today's linux-next merge of the scsi tree got a conflict in:

  drivers/scsi/mpt3sas/mpt3sas_scsih.c

between commit:

  e963b7088dac ("scsi: mpt3sas: Fix hang on ata passthru commands")

from the tip tree and commit:

  ffb584565894 ("scsi: mpt3sas: fix hang on ata passthrough commands")

from the scsi tree.

I fixed it up (slightly different versions of the same patch - I used
the latter version) and can carry the fix as necessary. This is now
fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any non trivial conflicts
should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer when your tree is
submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider cooperating with
the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any particularly
complex conflicts.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the scsi tree with the tip tree
@ 2017-01-20  6:35 ` Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2017-01-20  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: James Bottomley, Thomas Gleixner, Ingo Molnar, H. Peter Anvin,
	Peter Zijlstra, linux-next, linux-kernel, Martin K. Petersen

* Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the scsi tree got a conflict in:
>
>   drivers/scsi/mpt3sas/mpt3sas_scsih.c
>
> between commit:
>
>   e963b7088dac ("scsi: mpt3sas: Fix hang on ata passthru commands")
>
> from the tip tree and commit:
>
>   ffb584565894 ("scsi: mpt3sas: fix hang on ata passthrough commands")
>
> from the scsi tree.
>
> I fixed it up (slightly different versions of the same patch - I used
> the latter version) and can carry the fix as necessary. This is now
> fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any non trivial conflicts
> should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer when your tree is
> submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider cooperating with
> the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any particularly
> complex conflicts.

I only had that patch for testing and it went into the -next branch by accident -
I have removed it so the conflict should be gone next time -next is integrated.

Thanks,

	Ingo

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the scsi tree with the tip tree
@ 2017-01-20 12:52   ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2017-01-20 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar, Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Thomas Gleixner, Ingo Molnar, H. Peter Anvin, Peter Zijlstra,

On Fri, 2017-01-20 at 07:35 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>
> > Hi James,
> >
> > Today's linux-next merge of the scsi tree got a conflict in:
> >
> >   drivers/scsi/mpt3sas/mpt3sas_scsih.c
> >
> > between commit:
> >
> >   e963b7088dac ("scsi: mpt3sas: Fix hang on ata passthru commands")
> >
> > from the tip tree and commit:
> >
> >   ffb584565894 ("scsi: mpt3sas: fix hang on ata passthrough
> > commands")
> >
> > from the scsi tree.
> >
> > I fixed it up (slightly different versions of the same patch - I
> > used the latter version) and can carry the fix as necessary. This
> > is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any non trivial
> > conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer when your
> > tree is submitted  or merging.  You may also want to consider
> > cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise
> > any particularly complex conflicts.
>
> I only had that patch for testing and it went into the -next branch
> by accident - I have removed it so the conflict should be gone next
> time -next is integrated.

Thanks for testing.  There was a last minute fuss about whether the
flag should be checked using a test_bit rather than a straight read,
which is the difference between the two versions.

James

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the scsi tree with the tip tree
@ 2017-01-20 13:12   ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2017-01-20 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar
  Cc: James Bottomley, Thomas Gleixner, Ingo Molnar, H. Peter Anvin,
	Peter Zijlstra, linux-next, linux-kernel, Martin K. Petersen

Hi Ingo,

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 07:35:52 +0100 Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:

> I only had that patch for testing and it went into the -next branch by accident -
> I have removed it so the conflict should be gone next time -next is integrated.

Thanks, these things happen.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell